collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late Elk from Blind?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline BB11b

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Late Elk from Blind?
« on: November 21, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
Bought a blind this year for my late elk archery, unit 672. Found a really great trail during the pre-rut with bulls on trail cam all the way until the rut. During the rut everything was gone haha. Anyone ever just hunt from a blind on a well used trail during the late elk hunt? I'm hoping since they were there before the rut they will be back during the late. Its well off the beaten path in a deep dark hole, perfect conditions for where the bulls head to after the rut. Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

Offline nitroelk

• Scout
  • Groups: R.M.E.F.
Re: Late Elk from Blind?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »
throw out a few apples and a bucket full of Alfalfa as an attractant and maybe some salt and be patient, very patient.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
I wouldn't plan on it, although anything is possible.  During the rut, the bulls are wherever the cows are.  After the rut, the bulls are usually not with the cows and if they are smart are hiding someplace deep and dark until the hunting season is over.

The cows will usually be where they can find the best feed and it is usually in a different place in November and December than in September.

I would think that late archery is probably the hardest elk tag there is to fill.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »
throw out a few apples and a bucket full of Alfalfa as an attractant and maybe some salt and be patient, very patient.

Right on. Good news is I’ve had a salt block right there since July so that’s taken care of.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »
I wouldn't plan on it, although anything is possible.  During the rut, the bulls are wherever the cows are.  After the rut, the bulls are usually not with the cows and if they are smart are hiding someplace deep and dark until the hunting season is over.

The cows will usually be where they can find the best feed and it is usually in a different place in November and December than in September.

I would think that late archery is probably the hardest elk tag there is to fill.

I know that’s how bulls work that’s why I figured they would be back in that spot. Prerut they were there. Rut they were gone. And it’s a deep dark hole of a valley. Away from the roads. With a very very well used trail.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
I don't think the salt is effective this time of year. I could be wrong but I sure wouldn't count on it. You might plan to spend half a day in the blind and see if you get lucky. But I wouldn't waste a lot of time there. Unless you get in there and see fresh sign confirming they're using the trail regularly.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »

I know that’s how bulls work that’s why I figured they would be back in that spot. Prerut they were there. Rut they were gone. And it’s a deep dark hole of a valley. Away from the roads. With a very very well used trail.

Could be, I've noticed the elk sometimes don't read from the same book I do. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
I don't think the salt is effective this time of year. I could be wrong but I sure wouldn't count on it. You might plan to spend half a day in the blind and see if you get lucky. But I wouldn't waste a lot of time there. Unless you get in there and see fresh sign confirming they're using the trail regularly.

Agreed. By late summer, elk are no longer interested in salt. Alfalfa cubes and other feed are more effective
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »
I had salt out this summer and had elk on cams almost daily.  They ignored the salt for the most part.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 06:11:40 PM »
Yeah they have never been interested in any of the salt blocks I’ve put out since July. I’m thinking first day I’ll go in spot stalk style and see what the sign says. The whole valley is at least 2 miles long and there’s a main trail about 2 feet wide at its widest and in the thicker parts gets more narrow but it is a constant throughout it, with offshoots everywhere. At the end is a killer bedding area too. Tons of food water and cover throughout. Was brutal to find but when I found it I knew it was a great spot. Gonna drop some apples and alfalfa I think for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
I hate cams but you may want to look in that direction.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Pumped for late archery elk hunt and plan on using a stand for a fair amount of the time.  Hunting solo for archery so I can't consider getting too deep.  Have salt out year round.  Not many critters hit it October on.  Everything loves apples and I'm out. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »
Pumped for late archery elk hunt and plan on using a stand for a fair amount of the time.  Hunting solo for archery so I can't consider getting too deep.  Have salt out year round.  Not many critters hit it October on.  Everything loves apples and I'm out.

I hear you there, I’m always excited for any elk hunt. I’m also solo hunting this time. This will be the first time I’ve found a spot I want to sit on a blind. Usually just spot and stalk

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 06:02:47 PM »
So, you had a cam out, but pulled it? Or is it still out?

You could be onto something, or you could be sitting there a really long time. I'd have to be pretty sure before I'd invest a lot of time sitting there.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline BB11b

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
So, you had a cam out, but pulled it? Or is it still out?

You could be onto something, or you could be sitting there a really long time. I'd have to be pretty sure before I'd invest a lot of time sitting there.

Yeah I had three cams throughout that valley all on the same trail. Bulls all up and down it. I wish I had been able to leave them out but unfortunately I couldn’t.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand