collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grrrr, Trap thieves!!  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Grrrr, Trap thieves!!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
WTH!

Unfortunately you aren't the only one having problems! I have two different buddies that have had traps messed with this year. Both have one of my cameras up along their lines now for security purposes.

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
 Every trap I have had stolen could only have been found by a waterfowler or other trapper. Nobody else would have any reason to be in the area. Same thing with the trail cameras I've had stolen. The ones where the general populace could find them were never touched. Only the ones where only other outdoorsmen could find them were stolen. Sad but true.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
That sucks,there are many hunters out there that can't stand trappers. Ashamed you couldn't prove who stole it with positive proof

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »
Mine was tracked all the way to the thief's garage door where his tracks in the snow were cut off by the garage door.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »
Mine was tracked all the way to the thief's garage door where his tracks in the snow were cut off by the garage door.
:chuckle: :chuckle:  Don't mean to laugh at your expense but sometimes stupidity is funny!  :chuckle:
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
you think that's funny?about 30 years ago here in Yakima a thief stole all the groceries out of my neighbors house,Stole a wheel borrow to get it all home.

COPS FOLLOWED THE WHEEL BARROW TRACKS ALL THE WAY TO THE THIEF'S HOUSE.  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
 :chuckle:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 10:41:56 PM »
“People with dogs are especially bad because the dogs find the traps and their owners think it justice if their dog gets caught.”

I guess I don’t understand how you would fault a dog owner for getting pissed about his/her dog “finding” a trap?  On private property of course that would be on the dog owner for not being where they should, but I have hiked into marked trap areas several times and didnt see anything posted until I hit a road.  On those occasions I had started hiking on different roads and traveled several miles cross country over public land.  I don’t know squat about trapping but I imagine, like anything,  there’s plenty of people who do it halfassedly and look at an area and say “nah, nobody would hike through here” and just toss them out there.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
Is there something that says you can't trap where other user groups are? I thought you could pretty much trap anywhere you could legally access

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
Yeah I thought that too, but I’m not familiar with trapping regs.  I’m just sayin’, you wouldn’t hook someone’s dog with a salmon rig or shoot someone’s dog with a compound bow and expect the owner to kindly hand back your arrow or lures.  Why would trapping be different?  Didn’t mean to derail the OP’s legitimate complaint about outright theft though.  Thieving dirtbags are everywhere it seems.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
I guess the problem is that some people think they have more rights to be out then others. Nothing different about people with dogs except the fact that dogs find traps so when a trapper does his best to get that trap out of the public view the dog finds it. If you keep even moderate control of your dog it is pretty easy to get them out and be on your way but a small segment of people seem to go off the deep end even though the dog is almost always unharmed. Especially so here in WA where we are using cages.
In other States it is pretty easy to see that dogs are the hammer the anti groups use to try and get trapping stopped. I think most of the incidences that they use are faked. Most people just  let their dog out and move on.
The salmon rig and the archery scenario are poor analogies. What if a horse back rider meets a dog owner and the horse kicks the dog. Who's fault? Sometimes things happen where you can't place blame. The outdoors get smaller and more crowded. All the user groups need to get along.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
If a dog is running around uncontrolled and get hooked by a salmon fisherman I'm having a hard time placing blame on anyone but the dog owner, I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where a dog gets accidentally shot by an archer though so not sure that applies.

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »
Dog gets caught in hidden trap on oublic land.  Dog owners fault.  Ok I got it now thanks.  😂. I’m not opposed to trapping, and my question was not really aimed at legal “fault” or what people should and shouldn’t do. I was just curious at how you could expect a dog owner to not be pissed at having their dog trapped?  That seems an unreasonable expectation to me.  People are emotionally attached to their animals and get mad or scared when they are in distress.  That’s pretty normal.  But maybe these days dogs are supposed to be on play dates and riding around in front seats in designer cardigans and not out in the mountains running free?  I do know, my dogs probably too fat to get caught in a wild animal trap anyhow.  Lazy old lab syndrome.  Hope they nail the guy whole stole the trap.  I think most of us out there in the woods get along just fine, and user conflicts are largely the stuff of theory, the greed or myopic vision of special interest groups, or the result of run of the mill dips@!$s (like the trap thief mentioned above). 

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »
Dogs will get caught in traps occasionally. It’s usually no ones fault just a risk of having your dog in the woods or your trap in the woods. In certain situations you could blame the dog owner for having a run wild untrained deer chasing dog. Or sometimes people set the wrong kind of traps in bad locations and you can blame the guy setting the trap. Most of the time you just realize sheet happens!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Caught these two trap thieves a few days ago. Picked up coyote number 4 this morning and a skunk ha ha warming up for wolves 👍 hope you have a great trapping season Fred! Sorry you lost a trap already

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]