collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tesla Cyber Truck  (Read 10571 times)

Offline jbeaumont21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Tesla Cyber Truck
« on: November 22, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
So are we going to start seeing these driving around in the mountains during hunting season in 2021 lol? 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/22/cars/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-truck/index.html

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Re: Tesla Cyber Truck
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
The top tier option has some awesome specs...if you could get another 100 miles from the battery it's be a real contender....

But I won't be the the guy who wants to show up to deer camp in that thing
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
My next truck, if I can hold out 5 or so more years, will most likely be an electric vehicle. 

They're coming out with new batteries (solid state batteries) that will be a big improvement what we have now.  1000 mi per charge feasible?   

I envision these new solid state batteries being in a cassette, drive to a "gas station" and do an exchange like we do propane tanks now, and drive off.   Also the batteries make personal drones much more feasible.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »
My next truck, if I can hold out 5 or so more years, will most likely be an electric vehicle. 

They're coming out with new batteries (solid state batteries) that will be a big improvement what we have now.  1000 mi per charge feasible?   

I envision these new solid state batteries being in a cassette, drive to a "gas station" and do an exchange like we do propane tanks now, and drive off.   Also the batteries make personal drones much more feasible.

Any idea how those batteries handle in towing conditions? Watched something where they tried towing with an electric truck and it cut the range in half.

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
Looks more like a Moon Rover than a truck.

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »
Quote from: Jpmiller
Any idea how those batteries handle in towing conditions? Watched something where they tried towing with an electric truck and it cut the range in half.
[/quote

That a good question, the other one being how they hold a charge/perform in extreme temps
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »

kills your MPG too  :dunno:

solid state batteries are suppose to be basically impervious to cold or heat too, so winter driving wouldn't suffer other than increased rolling friction of snow tires and plowing through slush, snow and other winter gunk.

The implications of a battery like this is huge, and hard to over state. 

Offline Wunderlich33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
Getting ready to pre-ordered  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: Theres a video out there that shows it playing tug o war with an f150 and it destroys the 150... gotta love marketing 

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
Texhnology opinion aside that is an ugly sob

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 02:06:10 PM »
Solid state battery tech is more interesting than an electric car/truck. Energy storage and transportation is a game changer because it opens up power production to ANY kind of fuel. If you have coal, wind, solar, natural gas, petrol, hydro they can all power the same vehicle. Petro is the main fuel source because of its distribution channels, once you get the mileage up enough, and some kind of fast charging or exchange setup then all electric becomes cost effective.  Im personally more interested in the battery storage because off grid living becomes feasible with most of the modern conveniences.

Ive always told uber environmental folks to change their message to freedom and independence and they would get a lot more libertarian and conservative types on board.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
Toyota had a battery powered truck in the plans awhile back but it kept pushing the date way out so I stopped following along.   

I'd love to eventually get a EV truck once the challenges are resolved.  I leased an EV car for three years and enjoyed it.  The power/torque of an EV is outstanding, the battery drain associated with it = not so outstanding.  I see there are EV snowmobiles out now, which are interesting.  I'd love a quiet snowmobile.

Solid state batteries are interesting, but still have a ways to go before being truly commercially viable.  A heck of a lot of money being invested down that path, so something will eventually arrive.   They still haven't solved the low temperature challenges, as the value of that higher density storage of a solid state battery reduces as temperature drops.   Some good advancements this year in the lithium alloy for solving some of the issues associated with it. But not quite ready for mass production. 

Although the latest advances from Tesla on the Lithium-Ion pouch cells could theoretically out produce solid state battery performance....again they also have issues to solve before mass production is viable.   Fun stuff on the horizon.....

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
To me, it's like if DeLorean ever made a truck, this is what I'd expect it to look like.   I get the whole beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but dam, that thing is fugly!!!

Offline WaHeadhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Prefer one of these?  :chuckle:

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »
I was pretty excited when Tesla announced a truck.... but no, that thing is ugly as sin

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
Changes start somewhere.  I thought the Dodge Ram body style was the worst ever, but this edges it out.  I notice all kinds of blindspots, but they probably want it self driving anyways.  Internal combustion performs better in colder conditions, batteries generally worse--so not sure when it will come to a hunting camp.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal