collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best spinning decoy  (Read 4356 times)

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Best spinning decoy
« on: November 26, 2019, 07:50:10 PM »
I'm in the market for a spinning decoy and torn between the pull string type and the wind type. Any tricks for the pull type as far as setting it up where it is easy to pull on the string. Im kind of leaning towards the pull type because you can use it if the is no wind.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Best spinning decoy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
Make sure you have some way to get the pole far into the ground or you will be going out every five pulls and putting it back up.

I've used both and can't really say that I've been overly impressed with their ability to pull ducks in unless they were already going to land there anyway.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
Decoy Dancer Whip Splash is really the only pull string I would buy. I've never used a Notty Duck but haven't needed to. Wind decoys are fine too but I prefer pull strings. Keep extra parts like surgical tubing and parachute cord for when they wear out. Also some pliers to wrench the wing nuts down so you wings don't fly off. Birds do get weary of spinners but they are worth using still.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
I have a decoy dancer whip lash as well. I made my own pole out of some 1/4” stainless steel so I could push it down deep easier and it moves back and forth. I stopped using it years ago however. I found it doesn’t seem to help and in more heavily hunted areas it seems to hurt. But if you know ducks don’t want to be where your setting up but they fly over a lot then it probably wouldn’t hurt.

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
Check out the "decoy saddle" have used it once so far with mixed results.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 05:28:30 PM »
I use 3-4 decoy dancer Whipsplahes.  They work good.  Also will mix in a Notty Duck as those can be ran from the front or back direction.  I prefer these over just wind spinners as I can control them.  Spinners work fine on wigeon and pintails, but as the season goes the mallards flare on them.  Having said that, they can be effective if set in specific locations behind you.  You can sit in front of them and shoot birds as they come in. 
A pull string can be very effective when selectively used.  Knowing when and the timing to use it can help.  Then I go to jerk cords to finish birds.

Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Dukalr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 07:42:41 PM »
Agree with above.  Get a Whip Splash.  I just keep a few different lengths of painted conduit in the boat to use depending on depth.  Clamp one end of the conduit closed (smash it together in a vise).  It’ll keep mud from going up the conduit, and allows you to push it into harder dirt/rocks easier.  Decoy Dancer also makes a pull string butt decoy with legs to create ripples.  I’ll often put that on the same price of conduit as my spinner and you can run both at the same time with one hand.  Creates wing motion and ripples pretty nice.

Offline YoungFowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »
I use the lucky duck air force which has both a pull string and wind wings. I use the pull sting mostly because I can stop it when I need to. No serious issues with it and its only $60 or so.
Fear God, love your neighbor and shoot ducks-Phil Robertson

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »
I make my own wind type, cheap and repairable. Standard decoy, aluminum axle rod (hobby shop) 6" or 7" propeller (pitch for how fast you want it to go" push nuts, axel bushings, push on cap nuts, corrugated complain signs (liberal ones spin faster  :chuckle:),   and a garden steak. White and black spray paint. And Wala a wind decoy, done about 30 over the few years.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline goosegunner

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 09:52:37 AM »
like has been stated above. the Decoy Dancer Whip Splash is the way to go. you can get them in several different species also. plus they are running a sale on there web site right now.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 10:12:46 PM »
I have one of these and it works pretty well even in light winds.

https://windwhacker.com/

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
I have one of these and it works pretty well even in light winds.

https://windwhacker.com/

These worked good on snows, but never could get good results with them on ducks.  Sometimes new birds that show up will work them, but they seem to pull birds over then flare them off.  Hopefully you have had better results.  Ran up to 30 of them.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »
Well the Wind Whacker has worked decent for me when hunting in Oregon...no battery spinners allowed.  I have to confess I don't much use it around here because Idaho allows battery operated decoys.  Before you all jump on me for using a "crutch" I will say that I am somewhat of a purist and prefer not to use them.  But if you are in an area around here where every other group of hunters within 5 miles are running 3 or 4 spinners you better be using them also. 

I've found honkers do not like spinning wing duck decoys so for us it is essential to be able to turn off our spinner with remote control when we are working geese.  Much as I like the Wind Whacker and my plain old Winduck spinner you can't turn those off.  It is a rare hunt where we don't see...and work...both ducks and geese.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
I have a couple of Whackers and would agree with H20.  They spin great and can be seen from long distances but seem to flare ducks away before they get within shooting distance.  I can't remember a time where ducks went feet down when they were active.  I watched their videos and tried them in fields, sheet water, ponds, marsh and marine and just didn't have any luck under any conditions.

I also had a bad experience with the company where I ordered carbon fiber poles and they sent me cheap garden stakes that broke during the first use and I wasn't able to get a response from them or resolution.  I would stay away from those.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal