collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is rabbit the new super meat?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Is rabbit the new super meat?
« on: November 30, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »
https://modernfarmer.com/2013/05/are-rabbits-the-new-super-meat/

Sorry, can’t copy and paste this article.

Nom nom nom. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Is rabbit the new super meat?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 01:32:15 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »
Count me in among the monsters...non nom nom nom.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
Oh Debbi.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
When. I was a kid we raised rabbits for meat. It was my job to take care of them and when I got old enough butcher them.

I would come home from school and my mom would say “ we have a order for three rabbits. So out I would go, select three fat ones , smack in the head with a hammer, hang on garage and dress them out.
Take them into my mom and she would soak the in milk over night in refer. Or salt water.
Wrap them in butcher paper and folks would pick them up next day at our door.

Love rabbit.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »
I raised them for a couple years and had a terrible time getting them to have their kits in the nest.  I scoured the internets, sought advice, joined rabbit groups online, did all the tricks..
I wasn't a total beginner as I did the same as ghosthunter and raised them as a kid and when old enough helped butcher them. 

In the end it turned out I just had a bad genetic line of rabbits that weren't good mothers and a hutch design that required nest boxes.  In hind sight I wish I had drop down nests so the kits would fall into the nest if they were born outside of it.  If anyone wants to start meat rabbits, I suggest drop down nest boxes. 

If I ever get back into rabbits I'm going to build a totally different hutch design, lot of stuff I didn't like about my old hutch I plan to cure with the next. (if I do it) 

the reason I'm not in rabbits now is due to a power outage on a cold night, all of my heated waterers froze and cracked in a matter of a few hours. 
Instead of buying a dozen waterers at $20/ea  or so, I put them all in freezer camp,  they weren't good mothers anyways .

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
I always thought rabbit would be a great way to feed third world countries where malnutrition is common. Every time we have had rabbits the term “breed like rabbits “ definitely applied  :chuckle: there should be another saying poop like rabbits! That’s why I don’t want them cleaning up after them gets really old

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
I always thought rabbit would be a great way to feed third world countries where malnutrition is common. Every time we have had rabbits the term “breed like rabbits “ definitely applied  :chuckle: there should be another saying poop like rabbits! That’s why I don’t want them cleaning up after them gets really old

There are a couple groups doing this in Africa. I’ve talked to a lady who was a customer of mine who is on a long term mission trip over there about raising rabbits for her community. Still working on that.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »
KF-
My kid just has all wire condo cages and I built a bunch of simple plywood nest boxes. She has almost no issues with babies on the wire. The breed she raises is known for being good and trouble free mothers I guess. Also raising Californian rabbits with a buddy as you know. Wire cages and the same, only bigger scale, nest boxes and no issues. The cages are basic rectangles 30x36. 14 gauge wire floors and 16 ga. walls. No wood in the cages at all. Rabbit piss and wood are a bad mix.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 05:34:49 PM »

There are a couple groups doing this in Africa. I’ve talked to a lady who was a customer of mine who is on a long term mission trip over there about raising rabbits for her community. Still working on that.

:tup: be interesting to see how it works

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
Idaho guy-
If you’re on Facebook, check out rabbitseed uganda.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »
Idaho guy-
If you’re on Facebook, check out rabbitseed uganda.

👍

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter