collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a certain Wyoming Elk Area  (Read 9626 times)

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Looking for a certain Wyoming Elk Area
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »
A few years back, Randy Newberg had a show where his son had drawn a very coveted Wyoming bull elk tag.  They waded through many bulls before his son harvested a real nice bull. Randy kept commenting that he would have shot a bull sooner but he made it look like his son was super picky and passed bull after bull until he found what he liked and wanted. The area had a lot of public access and the terrain wasn't extremely difficult.  Anyone know what hunt area that was?  "Me and my son have been saving points for Wyoming elk now for years and trying to figure out where and when to go.  We aren't max points yet but close.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Looking for a certain Wyoming Elk Area
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
A few years back, Randy Newberg had a show where his son had drawn a very coveted Wyoming bull elk tag.  They waded through many bulls before his son harvested a real nice bull. Randy kept commenting that he would have shot a bull sooner but he made it look like his son was super picky and passed bull after bull until he found what he liked and wanted. The area had a lot of public access and the terrain wasn't extremely difficult.  Anyone know what hunt area that was?  "Me and my son have been saving points for Wyoming elk now for years and trying to figure out where and when to go.  We aren't max points yet but close.
Just an FYI, if you aren't already max points in WY, you will never be max points. Also, blatantly trying to snatch up hunt areas based off others shared content doesnt exactly make people want to jump in and share info. People who dissect pics and videos trying to figure out areas turns many off. Myself included :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
 :yeah:  There are 21,000 people with max points!  There will never be enough tags to clear those guys out much less the 19.000 with one short of max.

Even if you are at max, odds aren't great.  I don't know what unit he hunted, but just glanced at a unit known to have good animals and the odds to draw were 8% at max points, 0.17% for one less than max.  That will not change, every year you will be as far from the finish as you are now.

There's always the random draw if you are feeling lucky.  It looks like about 0.17% give or take for any given unit.  That means you will have a 50/50 chance if you put in for 294 years.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
Just an FYI, if you aren't already max points in WY, you will never be max points. Also, blatantly trying to snatch up hunt areas based off others shared content doesnt exactly make people want to jump in and share info. People who dissect pics and videos trying to figure out areas turns many off. Myself included :twocents:

I am just starting my intel collecting for a hunt that I plan on doing sometime in the next 2 to 4 years.  I'm not trying to find somebody's "Secret Spot".  I think in the show that I mentioned above he actually mentioned the unit.  I'm not looking for the place in the unit that he found his specific bull.  Just trying to collect information for a possible future hunt.  I don't think that puts me as "blatantly trying to snatch up other people's hunt areas".  Especially in limited entry areas where once you have drawn the tag, you probably will never have the chance again in your lifetime as you mentioned above that if you don't have max points you never will. 
I can see I hit some kind of soft spot for you and I am sorry.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
But you asked for the specific unit :dunno: that hits a nerve for me and a lot of guys who dump hundreds of hours into reasearch, share our hunts, only to have people dissect our pics and videos looking for anything that will give away the unit and area. Had it happen no less than 2 times this year alone with CO and it's frustrating. All I'm saying is not the best approach if wanting help with units :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »
Randy Newberg didn't keep the unit secret so why should anyone else?

Offline ACCUBOND

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
:yeah:  There are 21,000 people with max points!  There will never be enough tags to clear those guys out much less the 19.000 with one short of max.

Even if you are at max, odds aren't great.  I don't know what unit he hunted, but just glanced at a unit known to have good animals and the odds to draw were 8% at max points, 0.17% for one less than max.  That will not change, every year you will be as far from the finish as you are now.

There's always the random draw if you are feeling lucky.  It looks like about 0.17% give or take for any given unit.  That means you will have a 50/50 chance if you put in for 294 years.

More like 1380 people for elk with max points. Just sayin. :sry:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »

More like 1380 people for elk with max points. Just sayin. :sry:

You're right, I looked at the wrong chart which showed total points, not hunters.

That said, it's still 0.7% unless you have max right now.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
There are several areas in Wyoming with high quality elk opportunities that do not require maximum points. With just a few less than maximum points you should be able to draw some excellent tags. Best of luck. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »
Randy Newberg didn't keep the unit secret so why should anyone else?

Well Randy apparently kept the unit secret enough that the OP had to start a thread to figure out which unit it was :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline Parasite

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 06:51:16 AM »
I'd like to hunt that unit once in my lifetime as well. My knees are getting bad, so that unit appealed to me for that reason alone ... Easier access. Maybe I'll get lucky and figure it out by the time I have max points which is years away ...

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 07:38:53 AM »
Find the show and watch it again. I haven't seen it but will look it up now that may interest is up.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »
Find the show and watch it again. I haven't seen it but will look it up now that may interest is up.

Its on a podcast. I listened to it and don't recall which unit it was but didn't really pay attention either. It was a good story regardless.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Parasite

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:14 AM »
The problem with Randy Newberg is that he'll also post fake background pictures from other hunts to throw people off from where they are actually hunting. I unsubscribed from his channel and stopped visiting his website after I heard that.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »
The problem with Randy Newberg is that he'll also post fake background pictures from other hunts to throw people off from where they are actually hunting. I unsubscribed from his channel and stopped visiting his website after I heard that.

I don't see an issue with it. I try my best to keep my spots secret but then again, I am not a public figure.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal