collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a certain Wyoming Elk Area  (Read 9620 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Looking for a certain Wyoming Elk Area
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
You're missing the point. Nobody said they wouldnt help. In fact, a few months ago when dvolmer PM'd me about wyoming elk options and having no clue where to start I offered to do some digging for him which I recently started. Not some 5 second gohunt search but actual unit break downs. But yeah I'm just a terrible human :rolleyes:

The hangup I have and others as well is the act of trying to pick apart others shared media in an attempt to find out where they are hunting. Whether that's an otc spot or a 20pt unit it makes no difference. It's happened to me just this year by two different groups of people and it's just a crappy thing to do. Yeah I get it, it's a hunting show and Randy probably expects it but it doesnt make it an ok practice :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
  Forget about the fact we are hunters on a hunting forum supposedly helping other like minded people out.    :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Do you post where you apply to hunt?

Entiat Archery....drew with 7 points and shot a great big spike.  It taste delicious and I will likely draw again in the next 5-10 years.  Saw lots of big bucks....I think I blew 8 or 9 stocks on reallllly nice bucks.  I passed on 3-4 smaller 3 points before deciding to take a meat buck on my last day.  If you draw this tag next year, I will gladly help you out.  30 people a year draw this tag and only a handful of the 30 put an arrow in the big boys.  Why wouldn't someone help another hunter out. 

Now....am I going to give away my general season honey holes......No Tell'm Mountain.   :tup: :tup:

For the naysayers.......get over your egos.  I won't tell what I know......oh wait, I don't know anything because I too have not drawn the tag.  I have only done internet research which makes me better than the rest.  I may never draw but if you do get lucky....your on your own.  MAKES PERFECT SENSE..... :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

The contention I have with your comparison is that (in my opinion) there is a difference in helping somebody who's drawn and telling them where to apply.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »
You're missing the point. Nobody said they wouldnt help. In fact, a few months ago when dvolmer PM'd me about wyoming elk options and having no clue where to start I offered to do some digging for him which I recently started. Not some 5 second gohunt search but actual unit break downs. But yeah I'm just a terrible human :rolleyes:

The hangup I have and others as well is the act of trying to pick apart others shared media in an attempt to find out where they are hunting. Whether that's an otc spot or a 20pt unit it makes no difference. It's happened to me just this year by two different groups of people and it's just a crappy thing to do. Yeah I get it, it's a hunting show and Randy probably expects it but it doesnt make it an ok practice :twocents:

First off......I thought your response was terrible.....not you.  I don't you at all and never said you were a "terrible human"....not that that is handled, lets move on.   If you don't want your media picked apart....don't post it.  I totally get it and that is the reason I stopped posting pics back in 2012/2013 ish..... of my public land kills in Washington.  But to give info or pick apart a video / photo that has been published on the open web or national television.....well that is just a silly reason to get bent!!!  Every time I see a cheeseburger commercial I pick it apart to see what restaurant needs to be visited for dinner.....isn't that the reason they publicize these pics and videos....because they want people to see them.  If they didn't...they would just not post them.   :dunno:

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
  Forget about the fact we are hunters on a hunting forum supposedly helping other like minded people out.    :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Entiat Archery....drew with 7 points and shot a great big spike.  It taste delicious and I will likely draw again in the next 5-10 years.  Saw lots of big bucks....I think I blew 8 or 9 stocks on reallllly nice bucks.  I passed on 3-4 smaller 3 points before deciding to take a meat buck on my last day.  If you draw this tag next year, I will gladly help you out.  30 people a year draw this tag and only a handful of the 30 put an arrow in the big boys.  Why wouldn't someone help another hunter out. 

Now....am I going to give away my general season honey holes......No Tell'm Mountain.   :tup: :tup:

For the naysayers.......get over your egos.  I won't tell what I know......oh wait, I don't know anything because I too have not drawn the tag.  I have only done internet research which makes me better than the rest.  I may never draw but if you do get lucky....your on your own.  MAKES PERFECT SENSE..... :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

The contention I have with your comparison is that (in my opinion) there is a difference in helping somebody who's drawn and telling them where to apply.

In an out of state draw where it is literally like hitting he lottery......just doesn't make sense to me.   Maybe I am different than most, I would hate to win the lottery with another person from Washington and have to share 10's of thousands of acres in the elk woods somewhere in Wyoming where we will likely never cross paths.  Are you afraid that one more person in that draw is going to diminish your odds that much more?  Just asking, as I am curious.....not to be an a$$.....but that logic doesn't make sense to me.   :tup:

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 09:20:19 AM »
The country I know is steep and pack in horse country.
Sorry I can't help with your request.
Good Luck.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »

In an out of state draw where it is literally like hitting he lottery......just doesn't make sense to me.   Maybe I am different than most, I would hate to win the lottery with another person from Washington and have to share 10's of thousands of acres in the elk woods somewhere in Wyoming where we will likely never cross paths.  Are you afraid that one more person in that draw is going to diminish your odds that much more?  Just asking, as I am curious.....not to be an a$$.....but that logic doesn't make sense to me.  :tup:

That's all good but neither does it mean you're right or better just because you feel a certain way or say that. Karl does more to help people particularly with out of state hunt selection than most of the site combined. I hate to nitpick but I also think it's a weak comparison between a bonus point hunt like your Entiat spike and a preference point state.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline idahohuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »

In an out of state draw where it is literally like hitting he lottery......just doesn't make sense to me.   Maybe I am different than most, I would hate to win the lottery with another person from Washington and have to share 10's of thousands of acres in the elk woods somewhere in Wyoming where we will likely never cross paths.  Are you afraid that one more person in that draw is going to diminish your odds that much more?  Just asking, as I am curious.....not to be an a$$.....but that logic doesn't make sense to me.   :tup:
The bold part is the major fallacy of your argument...posting a unit with moderate terrain, lots of big bulls, plenty of public land and oh by the way go watch this show and see for yourself the huge bull these guys killed there...that doesn't change the odds by 1 or 2 people.  Its gone from being a unit you could 100% draw with less than max points a year ago to almost assuredly next year will absolutely take max points.

I guess what irks me on widely posting any number of units that were a little under the radar is it screws the guys who've done a lot of work to identify these units.  People posting about the Entiat, Henry Mountains, or really any primo unit in any state...I don't really care either...they are so well known and have such low odds I agree with the sentiment...what's another 1,000 applicants??  Not a big deal.

But when people start blabbing about units not widely known - that have better odds and take less than max in PP states...not cool.  :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »
Once again the point of my contention is missed. It's not about posting units, otc, max points etc. Its the disection of media for the purpose of figuring out where someone hunts. It's a form of "spot jumping" and should never be condoned. But I guess I'm in the minority on spot jumping. My list of people I'll help just gets a bit longer I guess.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
It's really not going to change much, if any.  The unit had point creep and would be at max next year with or without the show.  Any unit in WY with hunting like that is or will be at max points.

The problem is twofold:

1. The ratio of hunters to elk
2.  Western points systems

Randy isn't the problem.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
Nope he sure isn't.

It's his capitalizing on the commercialization of the resource that's the problem.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »
Once again the point of my contention is missed. It's not about posting units, otc, max points etc. Its the disection of media for the purpose of figuring out where someone hunts. It's a form of "spot jumping" and should never be condoned. But I guess I'm in the minority on spot jumping. My list of people I'll help just gets a bit longer I guess.

:yeah: I agree 💯 percent. That’s is why I rarely post pic s. Which sucks because I love looking at others but I have become I guess paranoid. If there is a bigger dB move than stealing a guys hunting area by scrounging the internet for pictures I don’t know what it would be. I could care less if people post units that have almost impossible odds or even just bad odds. I can’t see how even thousands of new applicants even move the needle on some of those hunts. I knew some under the radar units that had good odds but those were ruined years ago by hunting fool and go hunt etc etc. There was a time mostly western guys with local knowledge were applying but with the draw services you have the whole country putting in from Seattle to New York and everyone in between. Technology has helped everyone with go hunt and on x just even gps but they have screwed some of my old honey holes. That’s the problem not some post on a Washington hunting forum. That and weenies trying to steal hunting spots from pictures lame!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
And just so we are all completely clear, I like DV. I think he's a good hunter and family man. Anyone who can raise that many girls and keep his sanity has to be a solid individual  :chuckle:  I've got 3 pages of notes on Wyoming elk units I'll never have the points to draw to prove it. I get 20+ PM's annually asking about units, states, specific hunts etc and I try to answer them all honestly and thoroughly. Whether its hunts I know, hunts I don't know, etc. Juat this year I mailed my personal paper maps of a CO unit complete with specific spots to a member. Another member I met at his work to go over maps.  That guy killed a STUD buck on that hunt too which I absolutely love! Gives me great satisfaction to be a small part in someone's success though a small part.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2019, 11:44:56 AM »
I know I sure do appreciate the advice Karl has given me. He is definitely an asset to the forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
I know I sure do appreciate the advice Karl has given me. He is definitely an asset to the forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I usually just get called names when I ask him for advice.   :o  :yike:  :chuckle:

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2019, 11:56:32 AM »
I know I don't ever care to be a lame weenie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]