collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Columbia River, Grays Harbor or Snohomish/Skagit/Whatcom?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
Columbia River, Grays Harbor or Snohomish/Skagit/Whatcom?
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
I am an upland game hunter and now I want to hunt ducks and geese. I live in the south Puget Sound area. Should I start out at the Columbia River, Grays Harbor or the NW corner of Snohomish/Skagit/Whatcom? I don't have a boat.
Also should I join Ducks Unlimited or the WA Waterfowl Assn?
Thanks in advance, 253shotgunner
Turkey Geek

Online Pnwrider

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Columbia River, Grays Harbor or Snohomish/Skagit/Whatcom?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »
I’d started by checking any quality hunt sites close to where you are and go from there. I hunt out of a boat and have hunted most of the areas on your list. They can all be good, just depends where the birds are and weather conditions.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
I was once a DU member  but now a WWA member. DU may have their place in the nation, but they represent salmon not hunting waterfowlers in this state. Join the WWA, and help out and they will welcome you with open arms. I have, and they have. Where should you hunt? Well that is more complicated because of where you live.

I'm a firm believer that you get out what you put in.  I've had more tips and invitations because I'm involved. The NW chapter puts on one helluva youth hunt that I've taken my kid to for the last 2 years and my membership is a small token of my appreciation for that one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 08:55:23 AM »
Sent you a PM.

I'd joined both? OR it wont hurt to Donate to DU, but then be involved with WWA. It's giving Tuesday!

For anyone else, looking for a shooting buddy on the I5 corridor, focusing on the dog is a lot of work Solo while trying to shoot birds for her to retrieve.
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:03:18 AM »
I would join WWA.  As mentioned, I wouldn't give DU a dime after they supported actions that resulted in less hunting opportunity in WA.  They were, and are, clearly on the wrong side of waterfowlers in this state.  WWA puts boots on the ground supporting what we have as it gets chipped away from many angles.  In the last few years alone, we have lost great hunting spots and what we have left just gets more crowded.

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
I would always go at least look at the Columbia. It holds a lot of birds at time. With waterfowl it's a scouting game. Even if someone says Lake X has a ton of birds if you go there without scouting you might not even pull a the trigger. Good luck with your season.

As far as what to join. If you want to see your money go to some midwest corn pond then you should donate to DU. They put on good banquets and have a calendar that you can win a gun if you buy one. If you want to volunteer and have your money stay local join WWA. They do a lot of youth events and then also stop the loss of hunting grounds, especially on the west side of the state.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »
Sent you a PM.

I'd joined both? OR it wont hurt to Donate to DU, but then be involved with WWA. It's giving Tuesday!

For anyone else, looking for a shooting buddy on the I5 corridor, focusing on the dog is a lot of work Solo while trying to shoot birds for her to retrieve.

the Lower Columbia chapter does some good work, which means they can use help. Ive made friends and been invited hunting more than I can accept. Your get out what you put in. :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
I am going to join WWA because of my gun clubs. I am a member of Tacoma Sportsmen's and a WWA chapter meets there. My shotgun buddies are members of  Evergreen Sportsmen's Club which means I shoot there too. Lucky for me, the Grays Harbor WWA chapter meets at Evergreen. Dang, everything is falling into place!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:19:18 PM by 253shotgunner »
Turkey Geek

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »
I am going to join WWA because of my gun clubs. I am a member of Tacoma Sportsmen's and a WWA chapter meets there. My shotgun buddies are members of  Evergreen Sportsmen's Club which means I shoot there too. Lucky for me, the Grays Harbor WWA chapter meets at Evergreen. Dang, everything is falling into place!
Tacoma sportsmen is a great club, and I have a few friends that are members. I always encourage folks to help out. I love WWA, but believe that any other org is worthy of help. Especially if they further the hunting cause. I may have personal opinions as to which orgs are more worthy than others but if you are a duck hunter in WA WWA is your org.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU