collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting Build Stock Suggestions!  (Read 2213 times)

Offline huntfish365

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • Brandon McMullen
  • Groups: N/A
Hunting Build Stock Suggestions!
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:34:26 PM »
Getting the ball rolling on my 6.5-300wby build. Ordered a proof research carbon fiber wrapped 26” 1-8 twist sendero lite. Bought a ptg magnum bolt to replace my standard bolt. Now onto stocks. The Manners EH-1 has been suggested a lot and obviously a McMillan game scout are my two top contenders but want to hear what everyone else is using. I want to keep the gun as light as possible. Thanks!

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
Re: Hunting Build Stock Suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 08:27:44 PM »
The game scout has a lot skinnier butt than the eh1. The game hunter has a lot nicer fit for me with the monte carlo style cheek. Also if you have a brake and aren't worried about recoil you can order with a thinner recoil pad to save a few oz.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:33:13 PM »
Very Happy with EH-1 on big lapua magnum.  On a 6.5 maybe game scout would be nice.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »
Eh1 over gamescout if it were me.  Lots of trigger squeezes on both  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »
I'm leaning towards the Boyd's all in one myself
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:22 PM »
I opted for the EH-1A, I really like adjustable cheek pieces. I also have a Pendleton Composite stock with the adjustable check piece that I really like. Look up Oregunsmithing if you want more info on the Pendleton Composite stocks
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:05 PM »
Very happy with my manners
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 03:53:43 AM »
Ordered a stock from Weatherby to fit my vanguard. Mcmillian a bit too spendy. Do a search and you will see a thread already on this topic
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline elkaholic123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
elkaholic

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Getting the ball rolling on my 6.5-300wby build. Ordered a proof research carbon fiber wrapped 26” 1-8 twist sendero lite. Bought a ptg magnum bolt to replace my standard bolt. Now onto stocks. The Manners EH-1 has been suggested a lot and obviously a McMillan game scout are my two top contenders but want to hear what everyone else is using. I want to keep the gun as light as possible. Thanks!

Keep in mind, that's a pretty expensive barrel to be using for something with relatively short barrel life.

As for stocks, McM and Manners are top of the line stocks and both offer their products in light weight CF versions.  Adjustable cheek pieces are great, I have them on most of my stocks, but they also can add a fair amount of weight to the stock.  I have quite a few HS Precision stocks that I've put Kydex type cheek rests on and they function just as well as my McM stocks with adjustable cheek rests, but weigh considerably less.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 09:27:28 AM »
I really like my manners eh1 

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »

Keep in mind, that's a pretty expensive barrel to be using for something with relatively short barrel life.

As for stocks, McM and Manners are top of the line stocks and both offer their products in light weight CF versions.  Adjustable cheek pieces are great, I have them on most of my stocks, but they also can add a fair amount of weight to the stock.  I have quite a few HS Precision stocks that I've put Kydex type cheek rests on and they function just as well as my McM stocks with adjustable cheek rests, but weigh considerably less.

That was my first thought too but to each their own

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
Costs more to shoot out a barrel than it costs to buy a barrel. Get to shootin :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline huntfish365

• Tracker
    • Brandon McMullen
  • Groups: N/A
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »

I understand that but it won’t get shot more than maybe 100 rounds max a year so I’m not worried about it.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 07:00:29 PM »
Bought mine from these guys.  I think it was a 3 or 4 week wait.

https://agcomposites.com/

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »

I understand that but it won’t get shot more than maybe 100 rounds max a year so I’m not worried about it.
100 rounds a year is not near enough fun!  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg