collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Potholes  (Read 8232 times)

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Potholes
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Anybody been doing any good at the Potholes lately?  Im headed over this weekend with some family from out  of town to do a guided hunt with Pacific Wings on Friday and then we will be hunting DIY at the Potholes on Saturday and then possibly Sunday. Any suggestions on what side of the lake to concentrate on? Will probably be starting off on the NW side but curious if anybody has any other suggestions. Thanks.

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
Re: Potholes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »
Had a buddy hunt that area last weekend, along with many others, without much action. I haven't watched the forecast closely but new birds could have moved in since then

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »
You could give Mardon a call and get a recent report.  I'm curious to hear how people have been doing out there lately.  I drove through Vantage last week and saw a steady stream of geese up by the gorge for what it's worth.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
Couple hunters told us they did OK in the dunes last weekend. We were just pheasant hunting but I was disappointed at the amount of ducks and geese we were seeing. As stated though, new birds could be arriving right now. Always better to make your own report. By the time they hit the internet, that chance has already passed. Good luck! Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:15:20 AM by Mfowl »
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
When chasing bucks there, I saw a fair amount of waterfowl, but very few pheasants.   

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
A friend of mine was there two days ago. Said it was a bust. Said the guides were barely scratching one bird per hunter out. Half the lake was froze up and not many around there. Good luck. I’d call the guide service ahead of the hunt and see how the conditions have been and what the expectation should roughly be

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »
Let us know how your weekend goes. My guess is the back-to-back experience of hunting with Pacific Wings vs. public water will give you a good glimpse of the bird-holding power of flooded corn ponds.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »
Let us know how your weekend goes. My guess is the back-to-back experience of hunting with Pacific Wings vs. public water will give you a good glimpse of the bird-holding power of flooded corn ponds.

I passed by Rasor Farms last weekend and though the water was frozen in the fields it was devoid of life in general. Very few birds visible through that whole corridor.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »

I passed by Rasor Farms last weekend and though the water was frozen in the fields it was devoid of life in general. Very few birds visible through that whole corridor.

Interesting. Could just be a tough weekend in the Basin, period. It happens.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »

Did Rasor farms get sold? I know they tried last year but because the water was frozen is probably why there wasn't a lot of birds. Eagle Lakes has no problem holding birds year round.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »
Hunted with Pacific Wings this morning and had a 6 man limit in about a hour and that was only shooting at the small flocks. All mallards besides two pintails. First time on a guided hunt and was a really fun experience. Gonna go do some scouting and try finding a spot for tomorrow morning.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »
Here is a picture of the greenheads.

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
Hunted with Pacific Wings this morning and had a 6 man limit in about a hour and that was only shooting at the small flocks. All mallards besides two pintails. First time on a guided hunt and was a really fun experience. Gonna go do some scouting and try finding a spot for tomorrow morning.

Wild! Corn + water is an irresistible combination ducks. Glad you guys had fun. Best of luck tomorrow.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
Did not end up hunting the potholes this morning so no report on how it was this morning. Went out last night to do some scouting but not many birds flying at all. Drove out to Scootney Reservoir to look at it but water was really low and loved like alot of it was frozen over. Did hear shooting though so someone was getting some action.

Offline Guzman

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 06:47:49 AM »
I don’t duck hunt a lot but spend a lot of time driving around the N Basin looking for and hunting geese. I haven’t seen much for ducks. And the water is starting to freeze so I don’t foresee much more coming from up north. If anything I think we will see less as it continues to freeze.

I also haven’t seen a lot of pictures from Eagle Lakes, Paul’s Pond. Last year eagle lakes seemed to be holding a ton of ducks.  It sure they are holding as many thins year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]