collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Operation Bobcat  (Read 14803 times)

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
Re: Operation Bobcat
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
Before WDFG, the Game Dept. paid a bounty on Bobcats.  In 1960 I turned in at least one for, I believe, $5.  Anyone remember?
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 06:24:47 AM »
On the 9th i put my lion bones and trimmings in the timber 50 yards behind my house where i could shoot from my living room window, thinking maybe id get lucky and get a bob or yote over it.  I left for seattle on the 10th.  Got home last night, checked cam this morning.  On the 10th and 11th a cougar came in to it before dark.  If somebody with a lion tag had been sitting on my couch they could have shot it 2 days in a row.  Ill post pics later.  Had to get a new phone, and my sd card reader wont fit in it, so i need s new card reader before i can post the pics.

Offline HillHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
He must of checked the driveway first and saw your truck was gone. When Bangos away the cats will play.

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »
Also Utah published a study showing that a majority of mule deer deaths were due to bobcats. And if you want I saw 3 bobs on Sherman tonight, pm me your number and I can send you the OnX pin of where they were. There was a solid looking trail. I’ve got all my traps out a lot closer to home right now so I don’t wanna put one up there yet.

Know a guy in MT that killed a 40 pound bobcat off a yearling whitetail it had killed!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
Didnt cut a single bobcat track today.  Started into the woods as soon as i could see enough without my headlamp to avoid tripping.  6.8 miles and 5 calling sessions, nada.  Tomorrow ill be starting out with a set right behind my house, then going and calling in a few local areas in my general neighborhood that always have a lot of bobcat sign.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
On the 9th i put my lion bones and trimmings in the timber 50 yards behind my house where i could shoot from my living room window, thinking maybe id get lucky and get a bob or yote over it.  I left for seattle on the 10th.  Got home last night, checked cam this morning.  On the 10th and 11th a cougar came in to it before dark.  If somebody with a lion tag had been sitting on my couch they could have shot it 2 days in a row.  Ill post pics later.  Had to get a new phone, and my sd card reader wont fit in it, so i need s new card reader before i can post the pics.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »
That looks like a pretty big cat! And way to close to the house. Great pic though, nice job!

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2019, 09:46:09 PM »
Too close for comfort

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
That looks like a pretty big cat! And way to close to the house. Great pic though, nice job!

Ive found lion tracks in the snow about 10 feet from my porch before.  Keeps a guy on his toes when he steps outside to take a leak in the dark.

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2019, 04:28:14 AM »

Ive found lion tracks in the snow about 10 feet from my porch before.  Keeps a guy on his toes when he steps outside to take a leak in the dark.

I've ran many cats that either slept on porches or under them. most of these situations were with seasonal use places that no one was using at the time.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2019, 05:17:21 AM »

I've ran many cats that either slept on porches or under them. most of these situations were with seasonal use places that no one was using at the time.

Oh they dont care that im here.  Ive had one crouched behind a bush at the edge of my lawn about 25 yards away just staring at me through the living room window while i was cleaning the house.  And here in early june i was doing yard work, just finished up i think my 3rd tank of gas with the weed eater, sat on the rock next to my fire pit about 10 yards from the house and was looking as t my phone.  Look up and another one was right there hunkered down in pretty much the same spot staring at me.  That one was creepy.  It was about the only time ive been outside without a gun on me.  Figured all the noise of the weedeater would have any wildlife getting the hell away. 

When i bought the place you couldnt see into the timber at all, it was a solid wall of green.  Ive thinned out and limbed up the trees and hacked down bushes so i can see 50 yards or so from the house because these things are always creeping around and i want to be able to see when theyre that close.  So far ive only seen them creeping around in the yard when the seasons closed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:31:38 AM by Bango skank »

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2019, 07:46:52 AM »

Oh they dont care that im here.  Ive had one crouched behind a bush at the edge of my lawn about 25 yards away just staring at me through the living room window while i was cleaning the house.  And here in early june i was doing yard work, just finished up i think my 3rd tank of gas with the weed eater, sat on the rock next to my fire pit about 10 yards from the house and was looking as t my phone.  Look up and another one was right there hunkered down in pretty much the same spot staring at me.  That one was creepy.  It was about the only time ive been outside without a gun on me.  Figured all the noise of the weedeater would have any wildlife getting the hell away. 

When i bought the place you couldnt see into the timber at all, it was a solid wall of green.  Ive thinned out and limbed up the trees and hacked down bushes so i can see 50 yards or so from the house because these things are always creeping around and i want to be able to see when theyre that close.  So far ive only seen them creeping around in the yard when the seasons closed.

Bobcats, or cougars ?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2019, 07:51:26 AM »
Cougars.  Ive never laid eyes on a bobcat on my property, just get cam pics and see tracks.  Guess i kind of got off the subject when i put up the pics of what showed up to what was supposed to be my bobcat bait.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
Cougars.  Ive never laid eyes on a bobcat on my property, just get cam pics and see tracks.  Guess i kind of got off the subject when i put up the pics of what showed up to what was supposed to be my bobcat bait.

Those would be dead cats on my place.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
This old girl has dropped more than a few cubs in her life

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]