collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Operation Bobcat  (Read 14878 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Operation Bobcat
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
My phone crapped out and i lost all my contact numbers.  The spot i was in a few days ago is the same place i called in the cat for joe in dec 2016.  Text me and ill tell you where, if you feel like driving down to 121 to chase cats.  Tracking conditions suck bad right now though with all this melt.  But it was absolutely covered in lion tracks, just like it is every year

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2019, 09:31:07 PM »
You got lucky KF! I saw a lot of trees down with that wet snow and then wind we got. I won’t be out for a couple days and then I’ll bring my kid out for coyotes and to maybe set a couple traps.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »
Im freak8n wrapped up in holiday stuff but might get to sneak out after yotes south of spokane somewhere

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2019, 05:44:39 AM »
That's awesome at least you didn't have to cam your truck.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
So get this.  I put "operation bobcat" on hold today to go play with song dogs.  Did about a 7 mile loop hiking and calling.  On the downhill portion nearing the end i walk by a small clump of large trees with good snow surrounding it.  I see a set of bobcat tracks walking into the clump of trees.  It was really brushy between the trees, so instead of fighting it i just walked a circle around the patch of trees to pick up the cats tracks.  Fresh snow all around, ill find them no problem.  Only there was a problem.  The little sneak walked into the clump of trees, but never walked out.  So one of two things happened.  Either he grew wings and flew away, or he heard me coming and scrsmbled up a tree.  I tried and i tried to spy fur in those branches, but i just couldnt make it happen.  A bobcat 80+ ft up a tree cant be easy to see.  Maybe if id had binos...  it sure was frustrating.  The little creeper had to be up there laughing at me, but i just couldnt see it.  And it sure as hell knew i was there, so there was really nothing i could do at that point but forget about it and keep moving.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2019, 08:45:23 PM »
So get this.  I put "operation bobcat" on hold today to go play with song dogs.  Did about a 7 mile loop hiking and calling.  On the downhill portion nearing the end i walk by a small clump of large trees with good snow surrounding it.  I see a set of bobcat tracks walking into the clump of trees.  It was really brushy between the trees, so instead of fighting it i just walked a circle around the patch of trees to pick up the cats tracks.  Fresh snow all around, ill find them no problem.  Only there was a problem.  The little sneak walked into the clump of trees, but never walked out.  So one of two things happened.  Either he grew wings and flew away, or he heard me coming and scrsmbled up a tree.  I tried and i tried to spy fur in those branches, but i just couldnt make it happen.  A bobcat 80+ ft up a tree cant be easy to see.  Maybe if id had binos...  it sure was frustrating.  The little creeper had to be up there laughing at me, but i just couldnt see it.  And it sure as hell knew i was there, so there was really nothing i could do at that point but forget about it and keep moving.
You positive there wasn't a down tree or log or anything it could of walk out of there on.
Maybe you where very close ,animals will do some strange stuff when they know your tracking them.BOBCAT GHOST.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »
Nothing but a couple inches of pristine snow 359° around that patch of trees.  Like i said, he was either up there, or grew wings.  I cant see any other possibility.  I did a lot of circling and head scratching to come to this conclusion.  Im convinced i was being watched and laughed at, insofar as bobcats can laugh.  Felt like a bumbling fool.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
Your not a fool, just had an encounter with a smart Bobbie.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
Hounds guys really good at spotting them in trees I bet, but I know they leave some up in trees too cause they can't spot em.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
I once climbed a fir tree probably 40 ft up to try to find a bobcat the dogs had treed in the tree next to it. I tell myself what that heck are you doing. I get down two branches and I see something I think may be the bobcat. Holding onto rifle in one hand and the tree in the other I shot. Sure enough it was the bobcat!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
One calling session this morning.  Seemed like the perfect spot, but man the snow was so damn crunchy i feel like i may as well have been banging pots and pans together on my way through the woods.  Making that much noise sure doesnt make a guy feel very confident in his set up.  Decided to bag it after 1 try today.  Getting kind of burned out.  Think ill take a bit of a hunting break so i can be refreshed and full of piss and vinegar when i hit idaho next week.

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
Where are you finding snow!?! Haha I got all ready for some 12-18” and instead all our snow melted. Driving my truck in to set traps tomorrow when I was using the snowmobile already.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
Yeah, snow is gone most places.  But i went to a snowy area intentionally, thinking it will be easier to spot a sneaky little creeper moving in on me if there is snow on the ground.  But its just too damn noisy to walk in

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2019, 04:51:53 PM »
Ever try wrapping you boots with deer hide?   Much quieter in crunchy snow! Soles too
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »
Went out over the weekend with my brother on his property and was mostly calling and setting up for coyotes but in the past had a missed opportunity with a bobcat so we knew they where in they're.  But we did 6 or 7 stands with no action at all.  Ended up calling it a day and a couple hours later got a text from my brother that a bobcat had chased they're cat up too they're back porch. Luckily his wife opened the door for they're cat to come in and seen bobcat close behind, it ended up darting off and going back into timber.  Our first setup that morning was only a few hundred yards from they're back porch, wondering if we got him all stirred up and he was out hunting for whatever was making a distress call ( our fox pro). Anyways where gonna try again here soon and try getting him. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]