collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4X4 question  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
4X4 question
« on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »
I'm not an offroad genius, but figure several of you guys are.  I'm looking at F-150s and one of them has everything I want except the rear diff locker, just 4H and 4L.  I'm trying to figure out how necessary that is.

My current truck is a 2000 Silverado and I don't believe 4L locks the diffs and I have gotten out of some pretty nasty stuff in 4L even without chains.

So, in terms of a hunting rig, would you wait for one with a locking diff or would this be good enough?

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: 4X4 question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:59:55 AM »
Good enough, unless you really want to wheel, IMO, or you expect to get high centered or opposite side front and rear wheels off the ground routinely. 

I wouldn't shy away from a truck if it had it though.  It would be a bonus.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »
 :yeah:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
Depends on use.  If its 4x4 for roads snow covered, muddy, grassy sloppy etc semi flat grounds a regular 4x4 is perfect.  If you will be in rough terrain working suspension or extreme mud and snow a locker/ limited slip etc are needed.  Example, a tire is in air or not weight loaded due to uneven ground then 1 tire will spin and other wont.  At this point its useless traction.  Like crossing a ditch at angles, ya might get stuck if both front n rear do this.  Climbing over a rock or log you might have same issue.  Truck will spin tire with least resistance which is useless.  Keep in mind when locked you have less control if both tires spin like on ice, whole rear end would slide as 1 tire not spinning would help maintain traction more thus an "open diff".  I have seen 2wheel locked rear trucks do almost as well as a standard equal 4x4.  I would highly recommend if serious offroading is needed.  My truck doesn't and I am fine but a few job sites were pretty tore up and almost got me.  Honestly a winch is probably better use of $.  Not a deal breaker for me but nice if ya could have it imop.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »
I'm not an offroad genius, but figure several of you guys are.  I'm looking at F-150s and one of them has everything I want except the rear diff locker, just 4H and 4L.  I'm trying to figure out how necessary that is.

My current truck is a 2000 Silverado and I don't believe 4L locks the diffs and I have gotten out of some pretty nasty stuff in 4L even without chains.

So, in terms of a hunting rig, would you wait for one with a locking diff or would this be good enough?

I bet you silverado had a locking diff, they used a lot of mechanical lockers on their 4x4 models, they used those G80 lockers for years.   
Did you ever hear a "clunk" in the rear end when you start spinning?

I know I would want at least a rear locker, with open diffs front and back you can get crossways over a dtich and unload a front left and right rear tire, then sit there and spin teetertottering on the left read and right front - for example

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
If you aren't in a rush I'd say wait for the locking rear. I've used mine while wheeling and in deep snow and I was glad to have it. I waited myself for a rig that had a full offroad package. It's not something that will be used regularly but having it even once when needed pays for itself. Just keep in mind I've been places I probably had no business being due to how equipped my rig was. Knowing how to drive will go much farther than basic equipment.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »
Limited Slip or true "Locker"?
(Not to be confused with "Traction Control")
Most F-150s come with Limited Slip differentials I thought?

Every truck I have owned (Dodge, Chevy) has had a limited Slip of some type. Even the two wheel drive I had had a limited slip. These can be clutch driven or hydraulic driven, etc... and work off wheel spin. You can activate some by applying brake pressure.

Lockers work many ways, some are air driven, some are e-lockers, and some engage only when you shift into 4-hi or 4-low.
These allow you to lock up the rear-end anytime you activate them.

If the truck has limited slip, usually it is indicated as "LS" on the door tag/window sticker.

Another option, buy an after market Locker after you purchase the truck.

I am on who won't own a truck without either Limited Slip or a manual Locker.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »

I bet you silverado had a locking diff, they used a lot of mechanical lockers on their 4x4 models, they used those G80 lockers for years.   
Did you ever hear a "clunk" in the rear end when you start spinning?

I know I would want at least a rear locker, with open diffs front and back you can get crossways over a dtich and unload a front left and right rear tire, then sit there and spin teetertottering on the left read and right front - for example

Yeah, no shortage of clunks in they Chevs, both the diff and the transmission.

This year, I was in MT in the Little Belts and the snow was fairly deep when I came up over the top of a hill and didn't like the look of the back side.  No turn arounds for a long time, so the always fun 20 point turn around.  I started in 4H and it got dicey, so I straightened back out so I could go forward and get it into 4L.  It ate it up no problem, so maybe they do lock.

Anyway, everything I do is on at least a dirt 2-track, mostly gravel FS roads and I have had 4H not be enough on regular occasion.

All that said, that was with M/S tires and I plan on putting Blizzaks on the newer truck which I expect makes a decent difference.  I could aways buy a winch as well and always carry a shovel.

I've been looking for trucks for over 6 months, getting the right one at a fair price isn't easy - the market is flooded with Canadian rust buckets and the good US trucks disappear almost instantly.

Super dumb question probably, but could a guy add a locker to it aftermarket for a reasonable cost and effort?

I also read that the Ford traction control would prevent free spinning if one side had no grip, but am not sure if that's true or not.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
"20 point turn around"

:chuckle:

I carry a shovel, too, and chains.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »
It's not too bad to add a diff locker, what year and axle does that F150 have?   

If you can get a vin# then you'll be able to get more specific information.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »
Where have you been looking for trucks Stein?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »

Anywhere within an hour of Arlington.  I need a 6.5' bed, low mileage crew cab and not half rusted out already.  90+% of the trucks are from Canada and every one I've looked at has incredible rust.  80-90% of all of them have the 5.5' bed, so the numbers aren't in my favor.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 12:19:55 PM »

Anywhere within an hour of Arlington.  I need a 6.5' bed, low mileage crew cab and not half rusted out already.  90+% of the trucks are from Canada and every one I've looked at has incredible rust.  80-90% of all of them have the 5.5' bed, so the numbers aren't in my favor.

https://www.rallyeauto.com/vehicle-details/used-2010-ford-f-150-xlt-1FTFW1EV4AKB68846

https://www.rallyeauto.com/vehicle-details/used-2013-ford-f-150-supercrew-4wd-xlt-1FTFW1ET3DFA95058
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »

I had a very similar experience when I  was truck shopping F-150's a couple years ago. I recommend getting all the 4x4 options you'd like to have and wait for one that does.  I did and am glad I did.  I also got the 36 gallon tank option which I do like even more so for the days that I'm in 4H most of the day and periodically have to give it more gas to get keep moving through an obstacle that just sucks up gas.

Side note: I have a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost. I get about 16mpg from Ellensburg to Tacoma.  My friend has a new 2019 F-250 diesel and gets about 22mpg from Ellensburg to McCleary. He's the faster driver.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »

https://www.rallyeauto.com/vehicle-details/used-2010-ford-f-150-xlt-1FTFW1EV4AKB68846

https://www.rallyeauto.com/vehicle-details/used-2013-ford-f-150-supercrew-4wd-xlt-1FTFW1ET3DFA95058

I forgot to mention I want the 5.0 or 3.5, 2015 or later.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal