collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4X4 question  (Read 8527 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: 4X4 question
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
Where have you been looking for trucks Stein?

Anywhere within an hour of Arlington.  I need a 6.5' bed, low mileage crew cab and not half rusted out already.  90+% of the trucks are from Canada and every one I've looked at has incredible rust.  80-90% of all of them have the 5.5' bed, so the numbers aren't in my favor.

I had a very similar experience when I  was truck shopping F-150's a couple years ago. I recommend getting all the 4x4 options you'd like to have and wait for one that does.  I did and am glad I did.  I also got the 36 gallon tank option which I do like even more so for the days that I'm in 4H most of the day and periodically have to give it more gas to get keep moving through an obstacle that just sucks up gas.

Side note: I have a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost. I get about 16mpg from Ellensburg to Tacoma.  My friend has a new 2019 F-250 diesel and gets about 22mpg from Ellensburg to McCleary. He's the faster driver.

Lots of different expenses in owning a diesel though.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 12:32:30 PM »

Anywhere within an hour of Arlington.  I need a 6.5' bed, low mileage crew cab and not half rusted out already.  90+% of the trucks are from Canada and every one I've looked at has incredible rust.  80-90% of all of them have the 5.5' bed, so the numbers aren't in my favor.

I had a very similar experience when I  was truck shopping F-150's a couple years ago. I recommend getting all the 4x4 options you'd like to have and wait for one that does.  I did and am glad I did.  I also got the 36 gallon tank option which I do like even more so for the days that I'm in 4H most of the day and periodically have to give it more gas to get keep moving through an obstacle that just sucks up gas.

Side note: I have a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost. I get about 16mpg from Ellensburg to Tacoma.  My friend has a new 2019 F-250 diesel and gets about 22mpg from Ellensburg to McCleary. He's the faster driver.

Is there a way to tell which ones have the 36 gallon?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/913A477-2011-2016-F150-4WD-Eaton-Detroit-TrueTrac-Torsen-Limited-Slip-Differential.html

might be your best option if you don't find an offroad package,  not sure what a shop would cost to put it in, I'd do it myself. 

Don't buy it until you know your exact gear ratio and axle, but this is probably the one you need...just verify!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »

https://www.rallyeauto.com/vehicle-details/used-2010-ford-f-150-xlt-1FTFW1EV4AKB68846

https://www.rallyeauto.com/vehicle-details/used-2013-ford-f-150-supercrew-4wd-xlt-1FTFW1ET3DFA95058

I forgot to mention I want the 5.0 or 3.5, 2015 or later.

Have you looked at Rally auto yet?

Most of their inventory comes from auctions, stop in talk to them and let them know what you want, and what you don’t want, plus it’s condition has to be really good, plus your price range.

I’m sure they can get one for you.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
I just did and they only one they have is Canadian.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
If that truck you like is clean and has everything you want I'd get it, you can add a limited slip rear diff easy enough,  I put the link a few posts up...it's a drop in rear diff. 

That's if it doesn't already have it.   @jackelope  he might be able to help you much more than I can

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, Boss I'll check them out too, I haven't seen that place yet and they apparently don't advertise where I look.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »
You're absolutely right about staying away from Canadian trucks  :twocents:   If there's any maple leafs on the stickers under the hood, walk away.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
Yeah, last one I looked at had 40k miles and I’m 99% sure I couldn’t get the caliper bolts off and the spare tire looked like it was ready to fall off.  There are a few unicorns out there, my dad bought a great used Suburban, but they are so few and far apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
Well, I think I'm going to go with it.  I appreciate all the knowledge around here and the willingness for guys to jump in and give some solid advice and viewpoints.  I drove it tonight and it's in great shape, really low mileage and everything is looking good.  Underneath, the only rust was on the driveline, but I was surprised to see it.  I'm not familiar with Ford drivelines, but thought I would double check here to see if this should be a concern or not.  The drivelines on my trucks so far were smooth and just barely surface rust, but this seems to be less protected metal.

Let me know what you think, it's a WA truck and outside the driveline it is perfectly clean.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 04:54:50 PM »

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:15 PM »
More than likely the F150 has limited slip just like the Chev did.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 05:03:07 PM »
That driveline is normal

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
Too late now but I can tell you anything you want to know about it with a VIN #. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw