collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Wy & MT season 7 bulls and 2 bucks  (Read 2176 times)

Offline longrange7mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
2019 Wy & MT season 7 bulls and 2 bucks
« on: December 06, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »
when the prefrence points fall and several buddies draw bull tags instead of the one with the most points it makes for a long ass season!

September came and went with hardly a chance to hunt due to the orchard the Mrs. and I started we had barley on half of the land so we had to wait for harvest to start the fencing project and that consumed every free minute we had. When October rolled around I was working in Montana and lucked out with a weekend off so I drove 7 hours home to hunt with the inlaws that weekend. I was home late friday night and By daylight saturday we had rode a substantial distance into one of our favorite canyons to hunt. It was void of any recent elk activity, I couldnt believe it. We sat on the ridge glassing until about 11 when I heard two gun shots from beyond the opposite canyon and shortly after 3 bulls came over the ridge and went into some heavy timber. The biggest bull was a respecible 6x6 and my in laws were excited because they have never harvested a bull so we made a play on them. it was a 2 hour horse ride around to get to a finger ridge and put us in range of the bulls after another hour the bulls fed out and the bigger bull presented a perfect shot at 630 yards. My mother in law anchored him right there with the 30 nosler. My buddies showed up from Ne the day we killed her bull so they got in on a ride the following day and helped us pack him out.

I had to return to work monday - wednesday before my vacation actually started so they hunted by themselves until I got back on thursday, they ended up with a cow and a rag bull for my niece she was amped for her first year of hunting. we hiked in on a finger ridge I have had luck on before and just like before we found a little herd of elk hanging right under the rim. there was a small 6 with the group and my one buddy had never killed an elk so he wasted no time notching his tag.

The following day we set out to find a mature bull for my buddy who has killed some nice bulls and really wanted a solid bull. It was a very cold morning we got stuck in a drift tryin to get where we wanted to go. then the fog kept us from glassing another prime spot so we just kept working our way lower and eventually found where we could glass. I picked up a bull about 4 miles off in the back of a bax canyon. I could tell he had long mains but thats it. I told him we are rollin the dice its a solid 10 mile day to get there but we can be there in 2 hours and that bulls as good as dead if hes a shooter. He wanted to roll the dice so we took off and found ourselves posted up on the bulls only 2 escape routes he had about 2.5 hours later. after sitting there with the wind at our back for a few hours I was starting to doubt myself and some how escaped us. I was getting impatient and my buddy was really getting ancey so I said screw it and told himm to stay put Im pushing this little patch of brush. I took about 5 steps and the bull blew out on the far escape route. I hit the cow call a few times and the bull stopped to look and my buddy dropped the hammer on him at 398! we got him quartered and hung then hiked out to get the horses and came back the following day by bringing in the horses it adds another 7 miles to this trip making it a 17 mile day due to the fact no trailers to the trail head and trailer parking is 3.5 miles down the canyon.

1of 2
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:56:21 PM by longrange7mm »
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
Re: 2019 Wy & MT season
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 02:47:26 PM »
Starting to get tired..

In 7 days I had drove 2000 miles worked 3x 12 hr shifts & packed 3 bulls and we have 1 day left on my father in laws tag. the thought of sleeping in sounds really good. well I will sleep later in life not this week so we (my father in law, wife and I) pile in and head for his unit @ 3 am we get there to find it is completly socked in above 7500' so we take off into a lower elevation canyon shortly after daylight I look back down the canyon and about half mile above the truck theres a small 6 and 20 cows. He says "last day, first bull that close to the truck lets go" so we made a run and he ended up making a great cross canyon shot.

My final buddy shows up from Mt and he brought a cold front with him. it was brutal -20 snow and blizzard for a solid 5 days. We decided to give the elk hunting a rest and went deer hunting a day. He had glassed up some does in a thick patch of brush mid day so I thought heck I will run down and fill a doe tag. I got about 200 yards from them when I noticed the tines sticking out of a small crevise.  With the limited amount of time I had to hunt my tags I moved in on him I got to about 35 yards and pitched a rock as far passed him as I could he jumped up and looked in that direction and I let the big horn armory 500 S&W bark man that thing is a hammer he jumped straight up and came down flat  :chuckle: :chuckle:  well we still had half a day so we hauled but out to a good glassing point in my buddies elk area and had just settled in when I seen some cows down low so we hauled but over to a good pinch point and ended up getting a cow too.

2 days left to hunt on my buddies tag before I go back to work so we make the decision to load the horses and make a long ride into the back of a giant canyon that tends to winter lots of bulls. JACKPOT bulls everywhere by noon we had glassed over 80 branch antlered bull, downside biggest bull was 330s so we made a move. It played out nicely and we killed him @ 200 yards in his bed.

It seems bad that I had to go back to work to get some rest  :chuckle: I lucked out on the return and one rig went to another operator after about 5 days so I only had half days the second half of my hitch so I made the most of it and filled my afternoon free time with hunting some BMA's for deer. I found a bma that was walk in only and after walking it the first day I decided this is where I will focus. no boot tracks after the first mile in and lots of doe activity. I hunted it 7 days total never seen the same buck twice and ended having the buck i shot push a doe under the ledge I was glassing from. it may have been my immagination but Im pretty sure he ducked my barrel hanging over the edge of the ledge!

Final elk hunt of the season my buddy that killed the last bull in wy also drew an LE bull tag in MT so I went straight from work to meet up with him where we would be dropped off in an undisclosed chunk of public for 10 days it was bittr cold horribly windy and big bulls by the dozen  :chuckle: we ended killing our number 3 bull we called captain hook because of his almost 30" second on one side.

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
Re: 2019 Wy & MT season 7 bulls and 2 bucks
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »
I will add a pic of the buck my dad took as well I chased him last season and had planned on this year but did not have time when the season in this particular area was open. My dad was able to seal the deal on him though.

Offline Tschaefer72

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
Those are some amazing animals. Congrats on a great season.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »
Heck of a season :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »
Man, don't let PETA get ahold of your contact info.

Congrats to your crew.

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
Congratulations.
What a year.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
The cowboy state delivers.  :tup:
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline lemondog

• Scout
  • Groups: lemondog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »
Nice Job L.R. You are the man!

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 09:24:06 PM »
Wow
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »
One helluva season LR.  Thanks for sharing. :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]