collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterdogs and Salt Marsh Mud  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Waterdogs and Salt Marsh Mud
« on: December 07, 2019, 06:24:55 PM »
Looking for some input from those of you who hunt salt marshes. Scouted a ton today out by south bend and willapa and found a spot we want to hunt in the morning. We were able to walk across the marsh mud in our spot until we got right to where we want to hunt. Great set up but retrieves would be in muddy water. We always hunt inland and have never hunted the coast so I’ve never had to worry about deep mud and the dog. Some of the mud was walkable and some was knee deep for me. Any issue with you salt water guys with dogs and the mud flats with 6”-12” of water over them? Seems like she’d probably stay on top of the mud unlike me but I thought I’d ask.
SliverSlinger

Offline DrakeKill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Waterdogs and Salt Marsh Mud
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »
usually it's a lot more of a concern for the 2 legged types and what holes we cant see under a little bit of water; have had buddies walk through what they thought was ankle deep, only to go in over their waders - that ends the hunt pretty quick.

For the pups, two things I've observed to keep in mind:

Just like us, when they get older the joints aren't what they used to be; I've seen an overzealous retriever or two hit the mud hard and stop suddenly with a good yelp - the sticky stuff can wreak havoc on ankles, knees, shoulders, and hips.

Tidal flats collect garbage of all sorts; there's no telling what kinda sharp prickly stuff might be right under the surface.

Keep the dogs at a controllable pace and keep your first aid kit on hand, you'll be fine. (oh and maybe some extra freshwater too, if you don't carry already)

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 07:03:01 PM »
usually it's a lot more of a concern for the 2 legged types and what holes we cant see under a little bit of water; have had buddies walk through what they thought was ankle deep, only to go in over their waders - that ends the hunt pretty quick.

For the pups, two things I've observed to keep in mind:

Just like us, when they get older the joints aren't what they used to be; I've seen an overzealous retriever or two hit the mud hard and stop suddenly with a good yelp - the sticky stuff can wreak havoc on ankles, knees, shoulders, and hips.

Tidal flats collect garbage of all sorts; there's no telling what kinda sharp prickly stuff might be right under the surface.

Keep the dogs at a controllable pace and keep your first aid kit on hand, you'll be fine. (oh and maybe some extra freshwater too, if you don't carry already)

This is extremely helpful. My girl Zeva was the best retriever I’ve ever seen, but this year she turned 8 and I’ve noticed a dramatic change in how much she can handle. She’s had a shoulder problem that lays her up pretty good for a couple days after a long hike. I’ll make sure to keep her from running full bore through that muck. Also, for a guy who has never hunted salt water, I wouldn’t have even thought of bringing water for the dog. Thanks!
SliverSlinger

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 07:20:17 PM »
If I can go there the dog can.  The only time they have problems is trying to climb over stuff when swimming.  if they are on ground or mud, no problemo.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 08:24:11 PM »
You can Stretch out you dogs hunting life by not having them jump in and out of pick ups.
Mad flats never bothered either my gals.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 09:20:53 PM »
One of these spots is what did in the ligaments in Maggie’s back knees. Tore one side & damaged the other when she got stuck in a hole & wouldn’t wait for me to get there. She wasn’t ever the same after that

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]