collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ‘11 Cummins egr delete queations  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
‘11 Cummins egr delete queations
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
My dad has a 2011 ram Cummins with 86k on it, went to the dealer last week for a recall and they came back with the egr needs removed and cleaned for $1700. So, forget that, let’s delete it. My question that I can’t find an answer to, is does anything have to be done with the ecm on this year? I’d really like to save him some money and just do the egr delete and maybe the throttle valve delete and be done.

So who has first hand experience that can tell me what really needs to be done? Any tips or things to avoid would be great. Thanks all!

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: ‘11 Cummins egr delete queations
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:21:09 AM »
I had to tune my 14 to do the egr delete.

I’d say you will have to as well on your dads 11.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:18:12 AM »
CumminsForum.com has all the info you need.

Offline hunt3636223

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
Yes you need to get specific tuning when you delete. I’d recommend full egr, throttle valve and exhaust delete with EFI Live tuning.  It will be a whole new truck when you’re done! I’ve deleted lots of cummins for people, any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Online Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 03:16:27 PM »
I just had my ‘12 done a couple months ago because my dpf was always giving me the countdown when slow driving in the woods. $1840 for egr/dpf delete w/ new exhaust. I’m not running a tuner because i don’t tow anything heavy, told them I wanted as close to stock as possible. Happy with it so far, tiny bit louder than stock but not much and got about 5 mpg back.

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »
Thanks for the info, was hoping we wouldn’t have to tune it, since it’s my dads he’s not into programmers or tech, so I want it as simple as possible. I have a buddy that’s going to set me up with the kit (block off plates and such) and come flash the ecm for me for cheap, I just need to pull the dpf. Do these trucks have O2 sensors and cats? Dad said it did but I know nothing about them. Keep the good ideas coming folks!

Offline hunt3636223

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, was hoping we wouldn’t have to tune it, since it’s my dads he’s not into programmers or tech, so I want it as simple as possible. I have a buddy that’s going to set me up with the kit (block off plates and such) and come flash the ecm for me for cheap, I just need to pull the dpf. Do these trucks have O2 sensors and cats? Dad said it did but I know nothing about them. Keep the good ideas coming folks!

Yes they have a small cat in the down pipe right off the turbo, another big cat right after that then the dpf.  There’s O2 sensors everywhere and pressure sensor tubes but all that gets tossed when you delete.  Lastly towards the back is a resonator muffler, it doesn’t do much other than take a little bit of drone out of the exhaust.  You can do a full turbo back exhaust or just get the delete pipes and leave the stock muffler/back tailpipe section.

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 06:51:33 PM »
Copy, it’s had a new exhaust put on of some sort, I haven’t put eyes on it so I’m not sure what was changed if anything. I better look at that first. Thank you!

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 05:38:46 AM »
Can you even find anybody that will do a tune anymore, EFI? I know they have been getting hammered pretty hard but I heard there are a couple tuners out there that a re trying to work through all the legalities.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
I'm sure there are some leftovers around, but the manufacturers of these tuners & kits have been getting fined up to millions of dollars from, the EPA. We'll start seeing emissions compliant tunes pretty soon.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 11:49:35 AM »
You may not have to "tune" it, but you're going to have to reprogram the PCM so the truck doesn't throw fault codes all the time. You're removing all the stuff the PCM is monitoring. It'll lose it's mind without a program.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:09 AM »
And without some sort of muffler, it'll sound like a freightliner going down the road.  Really really loud.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
If it is a recall, why would you have to pay anything??

Earlier this year my car got a recall, I'm not the original owner and it is way past any warranty period, yet no charge for the visit, is there something different about diesel truck recalls??
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »
If it is a recall, why would you have to pay anything??

Earlier this year my car got a recall, I'm not the original owner and it is way past any warranty period, yet no charge for the visit, is there something different about diesel truck recalls??

I was assuming it wasn't related to the recall.

Recalls are always free.

Offline hunt3636223

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
You may not have to "tune" it, but you're going to have to reprogram the PCM so the truck doesn't throw fault codes all the time. You're removing all the stuff the PCM is monitoring. It'll lose it's mind without a program.

Correct, the delete tuning reflashes the PCM and tricks it into thinking the emissions equipment was never there.  You can select your power levels from stock to 200+ HP.  Definitely don’t recommend higher power levels without other major drivetrain upgrades.   Even on stock power/deleted you will notice a major driveability increase with decreased turbo lag and improved throttle response.  The 6.7 Cummins are surprisingly quiet if you retain just the factory muffler, especially compared to the 5.9.  Unless you really put your foot into it they are not overly annoying.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]