collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help choosing a new hunting caliber.  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Help choosing a new hunting caliber.
« on: December 09, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
I’m looking at investing some time and money into a new all around hunting rifle. Targeting everything from antelope to elk. 500 Yards is what I’d like to be confident at for hunting. We reload our ammo so having something that’s more reload friendly would be great. I’m looking at Weatherby Vanguards in the first lite and stainless synthetic models. 7mm rem is my stainless option, first lite model comes with fluted barrel and a break so I was thinking 300 wby/win as well as 6.5x300 wby for options. If I go with the stainless model I could put more money into a scope where the first lite model will be a couple hundred more. Anyone have experience with these calibers and have input they’d be willing to share? I’m new to the longer range rifle game so it’s uncharted territory. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Help choosing a new hunting caliber.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »
I like 30 cal bullets for killing animals so 300 win or 300 wsm would be great choices if elk are regularly on the menu
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
7mmRM and 300WM are very common calibers.   Somewhat similar too, although obviously you can shoot the heavier bullets with the 300WM.  Can't go wrong with either really if 500 yards is the range.   If you think you'd go after elk to 500 yards, I'd choose the 300WM over the 7mmRM.   

For my setup I opted for the 7mmRM in a stainless (Browning Xbolt long range).  And topped with Swarovski Z5 with custom elevation turret.   Mainly as I found the rifle on a good sale (was the prior year's model).  I had gone to the store intending to buy a 300WM Sako 85 but walked out with the Browning 7mmRM because of the value difference and it gave me more money to spend on the scope.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
I like the 300wm over the 7mm, but for no particular reason. Either of them would suit you fine. 7 will have slightly less recoil, 300 will hit slightly harder at these ranges. Both have killed mountains of game.

I had the same decisions to make and ended up going with the 30, so I can shoot 215 berger's. Lots of info out there on killing elk with this combo.
I didn't want to leave out owning a 7mm of some sort though, so I'm picking up a lightweight 7mm-08 too  :tup:

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
I own a 7mm rem mag and have enough experience with 300 & 338 to say although I wont likely change any time soon, if it were me just getting started, Id go 300wsm and not look back......ditch the belt.  case head separation on belted cases seems to be the cause of short brass life for us.  And no, not amped up loads by any means.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
I own a 7mm rem mag and have enough experience with 300 & 338 to say although I wont likely change any time soon, if it were me just getting started, Id go 300wsm and not look back......ditch the belt.  case head separation on belted cases seems to be the cause of short brass life for us.  And no, not amped up loads by any means.

Fake news!
Your case head separation wasn’t caused by the belt. The belt makes exactly zero difference if you size your brass to fit your chamber.

OP, both the 7 rm and the 300 win would make great all around hunting cartridges for you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:07:10 PM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
I shoot a 300wsm and it works great for everything however I just purchased the 6.5-300wby. Was ready for something new and wanted to get one of the flattest shooting calibers out there. Waiting on the scope still but I plan to use this build for deer/elk/bear.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

Fake news!
Your case head separation wasn’t caused by the belt. The belt makes exactly zero difference if you size your brass to fit your chamber

I reload correctly I assure you......its not fake news its common.  Your opinion for you, mine for me.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 02:27:26 PM »
I've reloaded 300 win by the thousands over the years and I too have had no issues qith case head seperation  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »

Fake news!
Your case head separation wasn’t caused by the belt. The belt makes exactly zero difference if you size your brass to fit your chamber

I reload correctly I assure you......its not fake news its common.  Your opinion for you, mine for me.
My current batch of win mag brass has 7-9 loads on it and I haven’t ever even had to trim it. I’ve also had batches of 7 RM brass with 15+ firings and lost it to split necks and not head separation.

And Buckfvr I wasn’t intentionally over aggressive or trying to be mean with my post. I just got a bit excited.  :chuckle: :hello:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:59:19 PM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 02:57:24 PM »
I picked the 7mm. My son got a 300 win mag. Both have good BCs. A little less recoil in the 7mm. Both have killed animals at greater than 300 yards. Maybe you should just save and buy them both.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
 I have a Montana rifle company seven MM red mag and I love it. Have killed an elk and eight or nine deer with it. The farthest shot being 450 yards and it dropped the deer in its tracks. Shooting Hornady 154 grain SST‘s. I have a tikka T3 300 WSM that I shoot 165 grain bonded out of.  Have killed six bears, half a dozen deer, an elk, and a moose with it. Farthest shot being 400 yards which was also on a deer and dropped it in its tracks. Like already has been said if you’re leaning towards more bear or elk I might go with the 300 if you’re thinking probably more deer then I would just go with the seven MM. Having both I’m stuck with that tough decision every day  I go out. It may end up boiling down to the recoil as the seven MM is significantly less. More so in mine as my 7MM is much heavier and has a muzzle brake which my tikka does not and probably weighs a couple pounds less too. I do know a guy that got the Tikka T3 light in 300 WinMag and said it was miserable to shoot. Even after he put a muzzle break in the limb saver on it he ended up getting rid of it. Even out of my light tikka  300 WSM I won’t lie the 180 grain’s aren’t too comfortable especially if your sighting in.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »
300 win mag or 28 nosler.  I have the 300 and love it and will be building or buying a 28 nosler this year.  Good for anything in north America. 

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 04:15:39 PM »
Appreciate all the input so far, thank you! Sounds like I should be leaning towards 300 win mag and picking one up with a muzzle break on it. I definitely would like to be chasing elk but it’ll definitely be sending more lead at deer than elk.

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
I shoot a 300wsm and it works great for everything however I just purchased the 6.5-300wby. Was ready for something new and wanted to get one of the flattest shooting calibers out there. Waiting on the scope still but I plan to use this build for deer/elk/bear.

I read a couple places that the 6.5x300 can be tricky to hand load for, that’s the only thing that has worried me about that cartridge.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]