collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help choosing a new hunting caliber.  (Read 7023 times)

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Help choosing a new hunting caliber.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »
I picked the 7mm. My son got a 300 win mag. Both have good BCs. A little less recoil in the 7mm. Both have killed animals at greater than 300 yards. Maybe you should just save and buy them both.

That would be nice  :chuckle: but I think I’ll go one rifle and one trailer so I can start adventuring out of state more. That’ll be a whole new deal for me too, that will be fun to figure out lol
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
Getting a rifle threaded for a brake is pretty cheap. I wouldnt let a lack of a brake deter you from a rifle. Not to mention most brakes on factory rifles are some cheap thing that does little for recoil but makes lots of noise :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
I really hate to say it, but anything north of 30-06 will fit the bill.  If it were me, I would go 300 win mag, I just like proven, available and common options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »
Getting a rifle threaded for a brake is pretty cheap. I wouldnt let a lack of a brake deter you from a rifle. Not to mention most brakes on factory rifles are some cheap thing that does little for recoil but makes lots of noise :chuckle:

Being loud and looking cool is the goal though right? Lol
I think I remember seeing a thread not too long ago that it was about $150 or so on average? I’ll have to look into what people say about those weatherby Accubrakes.
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »

I think I remember seeing a thread not too long ago that it was about $150 or so on average? I’ll have to look into what people say about those weatherby Accubrakes.
I'm a radial brake hater so it'd be a hard pass for me on the weatherby accubrake . For what they upcharge for a brake and FL camo, you could get a standard stainless one, thread it, add a beast 4 port and have money leftover :twocents:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:16:58 PM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »

I'm a radical brake hater so it'd be a hard pass for me on the weatherby accubrake . For what they upcharge for a brake and FL camo, you could get a standard stainless one, thread it, add a beast 4 port and have money leftover :twocents:

But all the cool kids will laugh at you if your rifle doesnt have a matching camo pattern with your "clothing system."

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
With that Vanguard rifle, a scope, ammo clip, and sling and you're in the 8.5 to 9lbs range for carrying/shooting weight.   Might not need a brake depending on your size and recoil tolerance.   

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »
I’m in the boat of 7mm fans. I’ve shot moose, elk, deer, and sheep with mine. Comes down to placement and bullet style. It’s a great all around rifle and recoil is easily manageable without a muzzle break. Good luck in your search.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »
I picked the 7mm. My son got a 300 win mag. Both have good BCs. A little less recoil in the 7mm. Both have killed animals at greater than 300 yards. Maybe you should just save and buy them both.

That would be nice  :chuckle: but I think I’ll go one rifle and one trailer so I can start adventuring out of state more. That’ll be a whole new deal for me too, that will be fun to figure out lol
You mentioned doing more deer than other stuff. I think you would get plenty of use out of the 7mm for deer and antelope. Its also plenty deadly on bear and elk. Its also a lot easier to shoot groups at the range.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 05:40:38 PM »
It dosen't matter, 270 thru 300 or 338 all work and the animals interviewed could not tell which bullet killed them. Just get a cool gun you like and go hunt.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
I own a 7mm rem mag and have enough experience with 300 & 338 to say although I wont likely change any time soon, if it were me just getting started, Id go 300wsm and not look back......ditch the belt.  case head separation on belted cases seems to be the cause of short brass life for us.  And no, not amped up loads by any means.

Fake news!
Your case head separation wasn’t caused by the belt. The belt makes exactly zero difference if you size your brass to fit your chamber.

OP, both the 7 rm and the 300 win would make great all around hunting cartridges for you.

Not trying to pick sides here but it's true, case head separation has nothing to do with the case being belted or not, and is nearly always the result of improper over sizing and repeatedly pushing the shoulder back to far.

As for a one gun do all, I've always been a big fan of 30 Cals so that's the direction I'd lean.  The new 300 PRC would be a good choice for a one gun do all cartridge.

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Ditto, 300 win/short or 7mm. 300 if you want the heavier bullets for the biggest of animals.

Offline walter351

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »
I think it is more of a personal preference than anything. Proper bullet construction and shot placement equals dead elk. I have a 300 wby Mark v and 7mm rem mag tikka t3 that I primarily use for elk. I could interchange them at will and never blink an eye on if it will do the job. I actually find myself looking at overall weight of the gun and how many miles I have to hike when making my choice between the two.

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
I sure like the Kimber mountain ascent I purchased in 270 WSM
And hard to beat a .257 Weatherby mag for deer but for elk I think too light

I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »
I'm a fan of the .300 Win Mag myself (the 300 WSM is also a good choice), but there's not a darn thing wrong with the 7mm Rem Mag either. I think it really comes down to whether you're a 7mm or a .30 cal kind of guy.
You can read more in depth about each cartridge below if you so choose.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/7mm-rem-mag-vs-300-win-mag/
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-win-mag-vs-338-lapua-vs-338-win-mag/
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/winchester-short-magnum-270-wsm-7mm-wsm-300-wsm-325-wsm/

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal