collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: stacking out of state trips limited entry  (Read 3521 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
stacking out of state trips limited entry
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »
Have any of you guys/gals had much luck stacking out of state trips for multiple species? I have started my 2020 planning and looking at a few different states as for as limited entry hunts go. For Wyoming, my old man and I currently have 6 points for deer, elk and antelope. I have spent a lot of time on gohunt to see if there is a way to overlap a hunt but just not sure if I am asking too much and should try to just focus on one species. September into mid october work best for my work schedule then things get a bit dicey from there until about thanksgiving where I can usually sneak away for a few more days.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: stacking out of state trips limited entry
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
In my experience, unless you have enough time to treat them as separate trips (7 days minimum each) you just end up shortchanging one or both tags.  I found myself spending way too much time worrying about the clock ticking by, not to mention if your second hunt is already open you get to unavoidably wonder what it’s like there while you are not there.

With enough time it’s doable, and in a quality way.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
In my experience, unless you have enough time to treat them as separate trips (7 days minimum each) you just end up shortchanging one or both tags.  I found myself spending way too much time worrying about the clock ticking by, not to mention if your second hunt is already open you get to unavoidably wonder what it’s like there while you are not there.

With enough time it’s doable, and in a quality way.

I had those concerns as well. I am also worried that I might give up a good time to be hunting one or the other for the opportunity to piggyback them. I am just trying to be efficient since its not exactly a short drive

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 03:21:28 PM »
I've done two combo deer/antelope hunts in WY.  Different units with about an hour drive between the two, we'd normally spend the morning and evening hunting deer, and drive out to the antelope grounds in between.  It was a GREAT time, non-stop action.  But I do think you wind up shortchanging the hunts that way.  We originally did this because driving to WY seemed too far for one antelope.  I no longer feel this way - the trip to WY is always awesome, regardless of how many critters hit the dirt.  The last couple trips I have split them up. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
If you want to just fill tags then it can work but if real quality animals are on the menu then I think it's a bad idea.  Can it be done? Of course. But as others have stated, you'll certainly sacrifice somewhere. I had to hunt Idaho and Nevada in the same week last year and I shot a low 160's buck in Idaho because I wanted to get to NV. I don't like "settling" like that :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline chukar hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
I stacked in WY a couple years back on antelope and deer and couldn't have been happier.  two units about 2 hrs apart.   12 day trip and had planned 6 and 6 evenly, with ultimate goal of a nice lope.  Took 3 days for the antelope and 2 for the deer.  Almost wish we had gone for the tripple, as we saw a few decent bulls deer hunting but held out.  Will do that again pending point creep in 2024. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:42:15 PM »
If you want to just fill tags then it can work but if real quality animals are on the menu then I think it's a bad idea.  Can it be done? Of course. But as others have stated, you'll certainly sacrifice somewhere. I had to hunt Idaho and Nevada in the same week last year and I shot a low 160's buck in Idaho because I wanted to get to NV. I don't like "settling" like that :twocents:

Agreed. My true motivation is that my old man isn't getting any younger so I am trying to get the most out of the seasons as I can. He is retired so no time constraints for him but I want to spend as many days in the woods with him that my work (and old lady) will allow.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »

Agreed. My true motivation is that my old man isn't getting any younger so I am trying to get the most out of the seasons as I can. He is retired so no time constraints for him but I want to spend as many days in the woods with him that my work (and old lady) will allow.
then spread it out. A week of antelope and a week of deer is a lot more dad time than a week of deer and antelope and a lot more quality time because you arent trying to stack species.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
Overall, my experience stacking trips has not been all that good.  I have stacked my Wyoming antelope and deer trips the last two years and i wont do it again.  Both years I have been in to much of a hurry to fill my antelope tag and settled instead of giving it all that I should have.  Antelope seasons are very long and go on for months where the deer seasons are relatively short and only go a week or two.  Three years ago I went to Wyoming September 10th for the antelope opener and just focused on antelope and had a great time and shot a big nice buck.  Then I went back in October to hunt deer and the hunt went well and I didn't feel pressured to fill multiple tags.  Last two years due to time constraints I combined the trips and I wasn't happy with the antelope part of the hunt.  Not only was there time issues and pressures, but I found the antelope later in the season with broken up tips and cutters.  A guy has to do what a guy has to do and sometimes due to work, family, cost, and other hunts it makes stacking hunts a priority.  But when possible, split them up for a much better experience.
Zonk Volmer

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:45:56 PM »

then spread it out. A week of antelope and a week of deer is a lot more dad time than a week of deer and antelope and a lot more quality time because you arent trying to stack species.

:yeah: I agree, unless you’re just filling tags it’s best to keep them separate.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
I know I wouldn't stack tags, as I am usually after mature animals and wouldn't want that burden or thought in my head of another tag to fill.  Like Karl mentioned if its just about filling them then it might be okay.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 11:06:06 PM »
I would do deer/antelope in Wyoming if I had hunted at least one of the units in the past and knew how to hunt it, if I was confident I could get my first animal in a short time. With 6 points you can get a pretty decent antelope tag, but I'm not so sure about deer with six points. The best tags take around 10 to 12 points, or more, to draw. Then there are the regional tags, which most can be drawn with only one or two points.

If I was in your situation, with your points, I'd plan on a good antelope hunt, as you have the ideal number of points. Just enough to draw a good tag with plenty of public land, and start building points again the following year. For elk you kind of have the same issue as you do with your deer points. Too many for a general tag but not enough for any of the good, limited quota tags.

It should only take three or four days at the most to fill your antelope tags. After that if you're not in a hurry to get home, maybe do a little scouting for deer or elk in areas you're interested in hunting in the future.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:21 AM »
I let the draw gods determine my stack.   Most of the time its not an issue, but the one year my moons aligned, it was crazy.   I dont think Ive drawn anything since, so fingers crossed it might happen again.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 06:45:49 AM »
I've gotta disagree with you bobcat. There are some seriously good elk and deer options in the 4-6 range. Especially elk  :twocents:

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 06:52:35 AM »
Did it once. Won’t do it again. After a week of hunting I was ready to be home and didn’t do the second hunt justice. But a week is really as long as I need to be gone. A week between and I’d have been ready to go.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by Karl Blanchard
[Today at 06:20:52 PM]