collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: stacking out of state trips limited entry  (Read 3540 times)

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
Re: stacking out of state trips limited entry
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
We've done it a couple times.
I drew an Elk tag I'd be wanting and my hunting partner drew a Buck tag he'd been wanting in the same state.
We filled the time in between with an OTC tag in a bordering state.  It worked out really well.  I'd call that lucky though.

We also did a 27 day "Tour" years ago (before wives and kids).  That was an absolute blast.  However, it was tight on time. 
All OTC tags except 1 draw tag he had for Deer.
We didn't give ourselves enough time to hit a hotel or anything.  We were in tents or the truck for over 3 weeks.
We were whooped when it was over.  The push to "get it done and get on the road" was always looming.
Meat care was also an issue.  We learned some tricks on that trip.

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
I've hunted Wyoming multiple times and have always stacked tags. However, my plan of choice is always to hold at least one good buck tag for antelope or deer and then pick up several antlerless tags. This allows me to get in some fun meat hunts that don't really cut very much into your time for your quality tag.  :twocents:
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 10:11:03 PM »
I have always avoided doing an out of state combo hunt.  I really only care about mule deer so the other tag would most likely go to waste for me unless I killed a muley early in the hunt.  But it can be done pretty easy for deer/antelope.  Without even really thinking about it with those dates I know what tags I would apply for to do a combo hunt.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 07:54:49 AM »
I hunt both deer and elk during the OTC season in Idaho but I’m always thinking twice about shooting an elk. It just takes days away from deer hunting as i usually hunt by myself and we all know what it’s like packing those guys out...I think it was mentioned but if you are after meat...stack tags. If you want to wait on a mature animal...don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »
I have always avoided doing an out of state combo hunt.  I really only care about mule deer so the other tag would most likely go to waste for me unless I killed a muley early in the hunt.  But it can be done pretty easy for deer/antelope.  Without even really thinking about it with those dates I know what tags I would apply for to do a combo hunt.

Feel free to advise  :chuckle:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »
Sent you a PM.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal