collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog Advice  (Read 2183 times)

Offline linxx77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
Dog Advice
« on: December 09, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
Hi Team,

Here’s my situation:

I would like to get a lab. I know I’m ready to commit to the time and energy to train her.

My only hesitation is that I have two border collies already. Ages 2 and 4. They have had basic commands, but nothing much.

I wonder if they will get in the way when I want to train the lab on hunting techniques out in the back yard. Or perhaps may teach the lab bad habits.

What do you all think? I’ve never had a lab, nor have I ever trained a pup. So, in a perfect world I would have preferred she be the only pup in the house. On the other hand I don’t want to wait X amount of years for my current puppers to kick the bucket!

Any advice is always appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orbis non sufficit

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Dog Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
If you are concerned, lock the other dogs up while you are working with the pup. I wouldn't be too worried about bad habits. It will be nice having other dogs to wear the pup out as well.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »
If you are concerned, lock the other dogs up while you are working with the pup. I wouldn't be too worried about bad habits. It will be nice having other dogs to wear the pup out as well.

Yeah, the most logical answer is usually the way to go! I guess I’m just second guessing myself because I know the BCs would be going nuts at the door wanting to be outside with us to “play”

orbis non sufficit

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
I have a 1.5 year old choc lab female that I am still training.  We also take in my son's Border Collie 2-3 days/nights a week while he works long graveyard shifts at the hospital.  The lab wants to grab ass with the BC while they are together so training is out.  I leave the BC in the house while I do short training sessions with the lab.  Not ideal, but it works fine.

The BC tries to herd the lab at times which is fun to see.  They get along very well together.  The Border Collie is actually more obsessed with fetching a tennis ball than the lab.  And as you know, you can't wear one of them out, haha.

Offline Sr15

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Nra
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
I used a book called "Gun Dog" by Wolters to train my Chesapeakes. He also had a book called water dog .  Easy to follow and felt my dogs turned out great. Would definitely keep them separated during training lessons

Offline aman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »
It will not be enough to just kennel the other dogs while training. Generally you want the retriever training to be highlight of the dog's day. If the dog is having more fun playing with the other dogs then it will be tough to compete with that. Basically to do high level retriever training you'll want the dog to be attached to you and mostly ignore the other dogs

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »
It will not be enough to just kennel the other dogs while training. Generally you want the retriever training to be highlight of the dog's day. If the dog is having more fun playing with the other dogs then it will be tough to compete with that. Basically to do high level retriever training you'll want the dog to be attached to you and mostly ignore the other dogs

Oh no! This is what was in the back of my head the whole time. Hard to ignore the other dogs while I’m gone at work and they are playing all day. Hmmm

orbis non sufficit

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 02:49:45 PM »
What is your goal with this dog? Waterfowl and upland? I would say with a lab obedience is 75% of the game. Start training your Border Collies now to sit and stay and place and steady in one spot. Then move onto hand signals for blind retrieves.  The Border Collies are working dogs and would probably love the purpose it would give them. Then you’re collies would be teaching good habits. In the end you may only hunt the lab but you should have 3 very well mannered dogs. I wouldn’t worry about the distraction because if they start playing grab ass during training there should be a stern correction and the dog’s will need to go to a place and be steady.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »

I am not sure I agree with this. If the dog is going to purely be a hunting dog maybe, but dogs love to retrieve and train. Its in their blood and I have always just worked on teaching them play time is play time and work time is work time. It doesn't take long, especially when instinct takes over, for that switch to flip. I am a believer that you can have an awesome hunting dog who also can be one that is a great family dog that plays with the other family dogs.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
For what it's worth: I've had 4 labs and 1 border collie (actually 3/4 BC 1/4 English shepherd), and the border collie was a better bird dog than any of the labs (not bashing labs, I love them and had great hunting with some of them).  The border collie hunted hard all day, day after day.  She loved duck hunting, taught herself to retrieve diving cripples underwater, and had a stunning mind for marking down multiple birds.  She did have a tendency to range too far upland hunting, but she was amazing at staying on roosters.

I like jagermiester's idea, and be open to taking the BCs hunting too. 

As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
I put my other dog in the house or garage while I work the other,  can't stand the incessant barking  "my TURN my TURN my TURN!!" 

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 07:10:17 AM »
This is how my basset hound got gunbroke , steady to wing and shot and points really funny.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]