collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6mm BRA anyone?  (Read 5791 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
6mm BRA anyone?
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
I started this rifle over the summer and finally got to shoot it last weekend. Heavy precision rifle chambered in 6mm BRA. Should be around 2900 with a 105 grain bullet.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: 6mm BRA anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 09:12:20 AM »
That's a cool-looking gun. How about some close ups?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »
That's a HEAVY son of a gun
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »
Here’s another picture. Don’t judge me for my Pepsi cans! I only drink them on the weekend.  :chuckle:

And yes it’s around 19 or so on with the scope.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »
If I recall the 6mm BRA is a 6mm BR but with the shoulder blown out to 40 degrees, yes?

I know there are quite a few variants of the 6mm BR "improved" like the BRA, BRX, and Dasher.  They all seem to be very easy to load for and shoot well, but, for me, I don't really understand why you would go through the extra work of fireforming to gain such little case capacity when there is the 6 Creedmoor available, but like I said, that's just me and everyone has their likes and dislikes.

I'm sure it'll be a shooter, they always are.  :tup:

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
Those stubby's look like 243WSSMs with a way bigger pill!
 :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
If I recall the 6mm BRA is a 6mm BR but with the shoulder blown out to 40 degrees, yes?

I know there are quite a few variants of the 6mm BR "improved" like the BRA, BRX, and Dasher.  They all seem to be very easy to load for and shoot well, but, for me, I don't really understand why you would go through the extra work of fireforming to gain such little case capacity when there is the 6 Creedmoor available, but like I said, that's just me and everyone has their likes and dislikes.

I'm sure it'll be a shooter, they always are.  :tup:
I can't answer for chris but I'd imagine that lapua brass is a big plus, he already has a creedmoor, you arent hitting 2900fps with 30gr of powder and a 105 in a creedmoor and a barrel need some rounds to brake in and speed up so fireforming isnt really a big deal. I know when I fireform, i do a quick brake in, zero, chrono, and then i just shoot that thing like i would if it was a finished load. Bang steel, have fun, form brass, speed up barrel. Then get to fine tuning.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
Karl is exactly right. It won’t replace my 6 creedmoor but it’ll do most of what I currently use the creed for. The benefits are less powder, less heat, longer barrel life, easy loading and great es and sd. I’ve only been shooting my creed at 2950 anyhow.
With the br size cases the load can stay consistent for much longer also. Mostly just a different gun for different types of shooting. This is what lots of the NRL and PRS comp shooters are starting to use. Very heavy gun and low recoil. I’m going to try and shoot a few more matches this year.
As for the fire forming I typically don’t start load development on brand new brass and like to get 100 or so round through the barrel also before starting so that isn’t a concern to me. 

The next barrel on my 6 creedmoor will be a 7 twist to use 115 grain bullets hopefully in the mid to upper 2900s.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:32:24 AM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 11:38:59 AM »
It’s currently shooting fireform loads of 105  at 2800+ and 1/2 moa

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »
The 6BRA is a very accurate round.  I have a bench gun in the chambering.  2930-2950 with H4895 and 103 vapor trails is very accurate.  The main reason people don't use bigger chambering's is recoil, accuracy, barrel lift.  I know one guy that sneaks a 6 creed in a match every once in a while.  The shorter/fatter cartridges are usually easier to tune and stay in tune longer IMO.  I have seen a trend in PRS that are leaning towards the 6 Dasher, 6 BRA variants. L.E. WIlson makes a 6 Dasher seating die that has .0005 click adjustment that is awesome.  Harrels makes a very good bushing die for the 6 BRA.  Let me know if you need some H4895.  I have an extra 8 pounder.  It's what all the bench guys un.  30.1-30.4 grains.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 06:52:58 AM »
There are a few places with h4895 in stock right now so I’m planning on ordering an 8 next week. If it all sells out by then I may hit you up. Thanks hogslayer.
Still got a couple hundred brass to form before working on the final formed load but was thinking somewhere in the 30-30.5 range would be good. My barrel is 28 inches. Going to be weird changing charge weight by 0.1 when I am used to larger cases and adjusting by .5 or more. Haha

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 10:13:13 AM »
I understand the appeal of smaller cartridges like this. The one I use is similar but slightly smaller (243 LBC in an AR), pushing 105s to 2800 with ~29gr of powder, but more or less in the same class of cartridges. Very low recoil and muzzle blast, mild powder consumption, etc all make these very pleasant to shoot. I do the Creedmoor as well, but ~30gr of powder vs ~45-ish gr makes a difference, not that there's any flies on the Creed either.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
I understand the appeal of smaller cartridges like this. The one I use is similar but slightly smaller (243 LBC in an AR), pushing 105s to 2800 with ~29gr of powder, but more or less in the same class of cartridges. Very low recoil and muzzle blast, mild powder consumption, etc all make these very pleasant to shoot. I do the Creedmoor as well, but ~30gr of powder vs ~45-ish gr makes a difference, not that there's any flies on the Creed either.

I was just reading this from the 6.5 Grendel Forum,

"Posted by The Wolverine

Myself and a buddy are the ones that designed the 243LBC. I have a 6x45, and love it, but wanted more speed, was thinking 6PPC, then decided on more case capacity and decided to lengthen the PPC 70 thousandths, and use necked down Grendel brass with 6PPC dies.

I had never even heard the name Robert Whitley, until the first discussion with our reamer manufacture, he brought up his name, and that he was doing something similar. Mr. Whitley has done some awesome work. and has probably forgotten more about wildcatting than I know.

I did not do this to compete with anyone, I did this because I wanted one, and it has kinda taken on a life of it's own.

I am not sure where the 85gr at 2800fps came from, but I am getting over 2800fps with a 100gr Partition out of a 20'' barrel that has to be loaded to 2.195 OAL because we designed the 243LBC with a VLD chamber. I am getting no pressure signs, and have plenty of case capacity left to work up more speed, but the accuracy is so good, I have not tried for more speed yet.

Hydeotech, you do run the case all the way into the 6PPC die, it is full length resizing all but the last 70 thousandths of the case at the web which is the strongest part of the case. One of BHW Prostaff has 12 reloads on Lapua brass and has had no problems, that same Prostaffer is getting 2965fps with a 95gr VLD out of a 20'' barrel.

Paul"

I have not reloaded in years, but these make me want to start all over again, love Wildcats  :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
Yep I shoot the 95 VLD as well in the 243 LBC, my accuracy load is at 2925 fps from my 24" barrel and it does very well.

Don't want to distract from Bullblaster's rifle and cartridge though.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »
Yep I shoot the 95 VLD as well in the 243 LBC, my accuracy load is at 2925 fps from my 24" barrel and it does very well.

Don't want to distract from Bullblaster's rifle and cartridge though.
Distract away! I like to read about it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter