collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement  (Read 8627 times)

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 08:48:55 AM »
I had a 97 suburban that I put a new 5.7 in back in 2010.  Got motor from Chevy with warranty and never looked back.  Cost was around 4k if I remember right installed.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! Spoke with the mechanic again this morning, and have appointment next week. They will confirm whats going on, with an engine swap as worst case scenario. We shall see!!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
Whats the difference between this engine for $2700 https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681431/10002/-1

and this engine for $1600  https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681431/10002/-1

You have the same link for both engines there,fyi
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »
@C-Money
How do you know it's burning coolant?
The intake manifold gaskets leak like crazy on those engines. Usually at the corners of the manifold. Failing injectors cause misfires in those things left and right.

I put 235k miles on my last chevy truck. You're at 150k +/-. If you're cool with spending $5k, it seems like money well spent to me as long as you expect another 75k miles out of it. Spending $5k on a used vehicle you have no idea where it's been, how it's been maintained, what  it's been through etc seems like a horrible idea to me.
That said, I'd look into how much an engine from GM would cost. If you buy one from Jeg's and it has problems, who pays the labor $$ to fix it? Do they cover labor? Warranty on an engine from the dealer will cover parts and labor, and I bet it's more than 3/30.
I had a kid bought pads and rotors from Jeg's for an explorer this week and brought them in for us to install. Took him 2 trips before he had the correct rotors and then we put them on and they were warped causing a pulsation straight out of the box.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
If the rest of the rig is in good serviceable condition then i would do it but i would do it myself and not have the labor cost but thats me.
I also agree a little with jackelope on buying the engine from GM as the warranty if something goes wrong is pretty good and it used to be (still think it is) 10yr/100k, now with that said i called Jet Chevrolet which is the Western Wa warehouse for GM and they no longer have the new crate engines available and they had no remans instock, could order me one though. My cost is 2505.60 with list being 3021.93 so that might make me pause and search other suppliers like you did (jegs etc) and save the 1500, Jasper engines have been ok lately and there warranty is pretty good but there prices usually are around the dealer (i did not check with them)
I would stay far far away from S&K engines in Spokane, i wont even take a vehicle in for engine warranty work if they have a S&K installed.
On a side note have been asked why i dont install customer supplied parts and jackelopes last sentence explains why, cant tie up a lift waiting for someone elses correct parts.....
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 12:23:34 PM »
Is motorworks any good? It's been a long time since I got one of their long blocks

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
elkaholic

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
If the rest of the rig is in good serviceable condition then i would do it but i would do it myself and not have the labor cost but thats me.
I also agree a little with jackelope on buying the engine from GM as the warranty if something goes wrong is pretty good and it used to be (still think it is) 10yr/100k, now with that said i called Jet Chevrolet which is the Western Wa warehouse for GM and they no longer have the new crate engines available and they had no remans instock, could order me one though. My cost is 2505.60 with list being 3021.93 so that might make me pause and search other suppliers like you did (jegs etc) and save the 1500, Jasper engines have been ok lately and there warranty is pretty good but there prices usually are around the dealer (i did not check with them)
I would stay far far away from S&K engines in Spokane, i wont even take a vehicle in for engine warranty work if they have a S&K installed.
On a side note have been asked why i dont install customer supplied parts and jackelopes last sentence explains why, cant tie up a lift waiting for someone elses correct parts.....

Last I had reason to check, Jasper pays $50/hour labor and they won't pay you to fix one of their powertrain components. Verify internal issue in one of their units, pull it and send it back to them for fix or replacement. No rental coverage.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
Jasper gave me a good hosing a few years back, never been back.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:12:18 PM by Woodchuck »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
Another option that only costs $100 is to put a deposit on a Tesla...

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »

Last I had reason to check, Jasper pays $50/hour labor and they won't pay you to fix one of their powertrain components. Verify internal issue in one of their units, pull it and send it back to them for fix or replacement. No rental coverage.
Yes they wont pay a shop to fix internals but they do pay R/R, Jasper does offer service plan upgrades for the customer at a minimal cost and towing/rental for a minimal cost (option 1 160 bucks pays 95hr labor and fluids, option 2 255 bucks pays 125hr labor and fluids, 40 bucks for towing and rental coverage of 35 per day for 10 days and up to 100 bucks in towing) had a customer recently who had a Jasper engine that went bad (not one we put in) and they had the 95hr plan, they do only pay book time on engines and we charge more than book but the customer was fine paying the difference in hourly and hours, still worked out good for him.
Now i will say im all OEM first when we bid engines but have used others when we had to. I have had 1 GM crate motor and 1 Ford crate motor need warranty repairs and both went to the dealer with no issues, had 1 Jasper we put in that blew a head gasket that was a bit of work to get them to cover but we did finally get covered and paid.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Just to be clear im not all Jasper is great, like i said they are ok, lots of rebuilders out there that are really bad though...we could start a whole thread on that.
I would pull it and have Rob at Action machine in shoreline rebuild it, might take 6 months and cost me more but i a sucker for punishment  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:09:50 PM by Buckmark »
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
If you do decide to do the swap yourself, its not a hard job (not sure of your skill level, place to work on it and tools avail) i would be happy to get you specs etc that you will need, just PM me.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »
Our family SUV appears to have a cracked head. Symptoms are a cylinder #5 misfire, and burning coolant. Our Tahoe has 157,000 miles. Its in great shape with, new rear axels, a seemingly solid tranny/transfer case, new breaks, good tires, no dents... good paint. Weighing out trading it in on a used SUV. Prices for an SUV that has similar or less miles are $10-15,000. Or, just put in a new 5.7 in the Tahoe we have. We are leaning greatly towards a new engine. I was told to figure $5,000 for a new motor and labor out the door, mechanic hoping it would be less, but figure $5,000. 3 year 30,000 mile warranty on the engine/labor. Is it possible to put in an engine that is carbureted to avoid all the electronic stuff, or is that not smart? The engine thats in it has a distributor, and plug wires, no coil packs. Anyone ever go through this dilemma, and how did it turn out?

I did the swap myself with the L31 on a 98 Silverado K1500.  Not difficult, but why you are in there … water pump, hoses, spark plugs, wires.  Be ready to inspect  flywheel, starter, distributor, intake manifold.  My intake manifold was all gunked up, flywheel was cracked.   The break in period is very important - follow the instructions :tup:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
We have battled fowling and had tune up's done x2, spider injection harness replaced, as well as other things I can't identify, or understand. A friend and me did the water pump. Shop did a gasket of some sort? After the spider harness, it has ran pretty good for about a year, and thought it was good to go. Now the #5 misfire is the problem. I have spent dang near enough on this engine the last 3-4 years to have a huge dent in the cost of a new motor. I change the oil and do very light maintenance on all our vehicles. A motor swap is light years outta my comfort zone. I have shot trap with the mechanic since we were kids, and is a straight shooter at the range and with his business. I sure do appreciate all the comments on here as I value the opinions of the folks on here as well...Doing my best to make an informed decision. We shall see what they find!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:50:31 PM by C-Money »
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 02:52:25 PM »
We have battled fowling and had tune up's done x2, spider injection harness replaced, as well as other things I can't identify, or understand. A friend and me did the water pump. Shop did a gasket of some sort? After the spider harness, it has ran pretty good for about a year, and thought it was good to go. Now the #5 misfire is the problem. I have spent dang near enough on this engine the last 3-4 years to have a huge dent in the cost of a new motor. I change the oil and do very light maintenance on all our vehicles. A motor swap is light years outta my comfort zone. I have shot trap with the mechanic since we were kids, and is a straight shooter at the range and with his business. I sure do appreciate all the comments on here as I value the opinions of the folks on here as well...Doing my best to make an informed decision. We shall see what they find!

The heads are very expensive which make the swap even more practical as it comes with the heads. I got my engine from JEGS.  Good luck :tup:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:45:30 PM by ballpark »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter