collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement  (Read 8628 times)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
We have battled fowling and had tune up's done x2, spider injection harness replaced, as well as other things I can't identify, or understand. A friend and me did the water pump. Shop did a gasket of some sort? After the spider harness, it has ran pretty good for about a year, and thought it was good to go. Now the #5 misfire is the problem. I have spent dang near enough on this engine the last 3-4 years to have a huge dent in the cost of a new motor. I change the oil and do very light maintenance on all our vehicles. A motor swap is light years outta my comfort zone. I have shot trap with the mechanic since we were kids, and is a straight shooter at the range and with his business. I sure do appreciate all the comments on here as I value the opinions of the folks on here as well...Doing my best to make an informed decision. We shall see what they find!

(That engine has 8 individual injectors, not the spider injector thing)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
It doesn't make a lot of financial sense to put crap tons of money into new heads on an engine that has 150k miles on it.
 :twocents:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 04:03:55 PM »
We have battled fowling and had tune up's done x2, spider injection harness replaced, as well as other things I can't identify, or understand. A friend and me did the water pump. Shop did a gasket of some sort? After the spider harness, it has ran pretty good for about a year, and thought it was good to go. Now the #5 misfire is the problem. I have spent dang near enough on this engine the last 3-4 years to have a huge dent in the cost of a new motor. I change the oil and do very light maintenance on all our vehicles. A motor swap is light years outta my comfort zone. I have shot trap with the mechanic since we were kids, and is a straight shooter at the range and with his business. I sure do appreciate all the comments on here as I value the opinions of the folks on here as well...Doing my best to make an informed decision. We shall see what they find!

(That engine has 8 individual injectors, not the spider injector thing)
Its Central SFI system which people call the spider which is a unit,  still all located under the upper intake, silly GM..........
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:09:52 AM by Buckmark »
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »
If you were one year newer, I’m selling a Suburban with a great motor and ok rest of it that would make a perfect pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »
I thought the spider harness had new injectors on it?  :dunno:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
I thought the spider harness had new injectors on it?  :dunno:
You can buy them both ways, atleast that part would be newer for the replacement engine if you decide to go that route

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »
Not sure why I thought they were individual injectors. I thought the older 4.3's had that style but not the V8's. Ah well...wrong again.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 04:58:25 PM »
I've been dwelling on this for no reason at all, but I remember doing single injectors on these things in the past. Maybe because it was warranty work and maybe because it was 20 years ago at the Chevy dealer :chuckle:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2019, 06:09:43 PM »
I hear ya on how stuff runs together!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline BUCKHUNT

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2019, 10:44:07 PM »
I’m very interested in this as I’m currently dealing with the exact same dilemma. I have a 95 suburban at 225k miles. The rest of the truck is solid, I’m the original owner and have the truck rigged up perfectly for my needs.

I was told I have a blown intake valve and am getting no compression on cylinder 5. I’m leaning towards dropping in a crate motor; was quoted $5600 for a Jasper with a 3yr/100k mile warranty. Not sure how long I should shop around, or if that’s a reasonable quote.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2019, 11:05:30 PM »
I’m very interested in this as I’m currently dealing with the exact same dilemma. I have a 95 suburban at 225k miles. The rest of the truck is solid, I’m the original owner and have the truck rigged up perfectly for my needs.

I was told I have a blown intake valve and am getting no compression on cylinder 5. I’m leaning towards dropping in a crate motor; was quoted $5600 for a Jasper with a 3yr/100k mile warranty. Not sure how long I should shop around, or if that’s a reasonable quote.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/8758/10002/-1

That's a brand new, not remanufactured engine shipped to your door with a warranty.

$5600 for an installed reman seems a little high to me.   :twocents:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2019, 07:23:59 AM »

That's a brand new, not remanufactured engine shipped to your door with a warranty.

Me too. That's a pretty easy swap.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
Almost every engine I’ve ever sold has been remanufactured.  Probably several dozen.  A replacement 5.4 v8 in an F150 from the dealer is close to $8k out the door installed. 3 year unlimited miles full parts and labor warranty for comparison sake. Granted labor is probably a little more expensive where I’m at but the labor time guide probably calls for 16-20 hours to replace an engine.  I don’t think any shop is $100 an hour anymore, even independents so at $120 an hour you’re looking at over $2k in labor.  There will always be a $200-300 in extras like a belt, fluids, random stuff etc. $5600 seems pretty reasonable to me. Just understand with a Jasper engine, all of the labor will not be covered unless you pay extra for it and if it does have a significant issue, there will be down time with no coverage for alternate transportation.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »

Where does it say it’s new?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr