collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement  (Read 8661 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »
Dwelling again. Sorry.
We’re $160 an hour. Let’s say 20 hours. (I know it’s a lot. We’re the cheapest Ford dealer in our area)

$3200 labor
$1600 engine
$500 misc

$5300+tax

Maybe the labor is a couple hours heavy but I’m assuming an hours worth of diagnosis to determine the problem too. It’s just a guess.
Same as with Jasper. Before considering Jegs as a viable option I’d want to know the terms of the warranty. Who pays labor and how much do they cover if there is a problem.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
$5300 bux goes a long ways on a trade-in   

I'd only do an engine job if I did it myself, or under warranty. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
I don’t disagree with you, but it’s a lot cheaper than a new truck especially if the old truck is rigged the way you like or need it to be.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline BUCKHUNT

• Tracker
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

I should note that the truck is strictly for recreation, so not a daily driver. I also have no intention of trading it in or selling it eventually, but I'd like it to be reliable.

I called the dealership today just for another reference point; they told me to expect to pay around $7-$8k for the job, and that it would take them a while to source the motor. Is the best way to shop around to make calls and get quotes like this over the phone? It's been in great running condition for the last 20+ years so haven't had to deal with Mechanics in a long time.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2019, 05:36:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

I should note that the truck is strictly for recreation, so not a daily driver. I also have no intention of trading it in or selling it eventually, but I'd like it to be reliable.

I called the dealership today just for another reference point; they told me to expect to pay around $7-$8k for the job, and that it would take them a while to source the motor. Is the best way to shop around to make calls and get quotes like this over the phone? It's been in great running condition for the last 20+ years so haven't had to deal with Mechanics in a long time.

They should be able to tell you within a few key strokes if the engine is available. Might take a little bit to get one, but it’s quick and easy to determine the source. Maybe you got an inexperienced guy stuck working Saturdays.  I’d also make sure you’re getting a GM engine if you’re calling the dealer too. Just verify it.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »
I’m very interested in this as I’m currently dealing with the exact same dilemma. I have a 95 suburban at 225k miles. The rest of the truck is solid, I’m the original owner and have the truck rigged up perfectly for my needs.

I was told I have a blown intake valve and am getting no compression on cylinder 5. I’m leaning towards dropping in a crate motor; was quoted $5600 for a Jasper with a 3yr/100k mile warranty. Not sure how long I should shop around, or if that’s a reasonable quote.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Components_Engine-Assembled-Ready-to-Run/10763/10002/-1 :tup:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
Tahoe is home.  :dunno: Mechanic could not get it to misfire, and is not leaking antifreeze. Nothing to report other than this is the second time I've dropped it off broken/misfiring, and it miraculously is healed when the mechanic goes to work on it. Not sure where the antifreeze is going as it does use it, and has for a while. I've been running it around yesterday and today, still no misfire. runs great, until one day, it doesn't. So irritating. Wish it would stay broke or stay fixed. No way do I feel confident in it. Mechanic said no real way to know if its the engine or the computer. :bash:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »
Was the check engine light on? If so, it should have a code or multiple codes. If it was burning coolant, there would probably be signs of it on the spark plug associated to the the cylinder the misfire code was stored for. Any word on fault codes? Did he pull plugs?

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »
Reading your original post makes it sound more like the cracked head diagnosis was a guess at what was the problem?

EDIT... Maybe its a leaky intake manifold gasket like in this video. Customer had a misfire. I think either in the video or the comments it talks about how when the engine warms up sometimes the leak seals up. Maybe that explains why your problem is intermittent?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:26:40 PM by Sandberm »

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2019, 07:40:57 AM »
Reading your original post makes it sound more like the cracked head diagnosis was a guess at what was the problem?

EDIT... Maybe its a leaky intake manifold gasket like in this video. Customer had a misfire. I think either in the video or the comments it talks about how when the engine warms up sometimes the leak seals up. Maybe that explains why your problem is intermittent?

Not uncommon for that era.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
When trying to fix it myself, I put a new spark plug in #5 & #7. He did pull them, and did not find any evidence of antifreeze leaking. He drove it around, and never got it to miss. Silly me, I tossed the old plugs which was a mistake. I wish the mechanic could have taken a look at them. Code just says cylinder #5 misfire,  :dunno:. Hoping I can drive it to the shop missing to get proper diagnosis. Running great at the moment. We've taken it out hunting a few times now, put another 100 miles on it, with no hint of a miss.

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
Sometimes a miss can be really hard to figure out.  Most just replace everything in the ignition system and hope it cures it. AS those parts are cheaper.  Sometimes new plugs will mask a problem with air/fuel issues as well.   Cracked engine parts are usually easy to find. Cracked heads or blown head gaskets will lead to water in the oil or oil in the water.  Both will be unmistakable by the amount of foaming you will see when you check them.  Blown heads will also have noise and or a lack of power.  Blown and cracked heads don't get better with new plugs so I don't think that's your problem.

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »
As far as the coolant loss goes, my 03 chevy s10 with the 4.3 vortec drank coolant from about 110k miles till the intake gasket finally went at around 175k miles, sending coolant down the back of the engine off the bell housing. I always knew when it was time to add some coolant as the engine would start to run just a bit hotter, lets say 210 instead of 195ish. Truck ran great btw, never any missfires. I assume the small coolant loss either was going into a cylinder or perhaps it was a small enough leak that it was evaporating on the exterior of the engine.

I replaced the gasket with a metal one made by Felpro.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
When I was with GM dealers 20 years ago, those Vortec v6 and v8 engines used to leak coolant externally at the corners of the intake manifolds. Especially the 5.7 v8's.
That leak happened a lot...like, I made a crap load of money selling those repairs. We did them all the time.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2020, 06:48:10 AM »
Update...Replaced cap and rotor, ran fine for about 1000 miles, and began missing...again. Got it to shop while missing last week, and will have Spider injection harness and distributor replaced today. Distributor was at my request (why not while they are in there). Spider injection harness is only 3 years old and is warranted by O'Reillys. We drove the Tahoe in last night to the shop,and it was missing quite badly. Hoping we can get a definite answer as to what s going on!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]