collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Traveling with pup to hunt in another state  (Read 1452 times)

Offline erickson3t

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Traveling with pup to hunt in another state
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
I am planning to fly from washington to jersey with a 2 yr old English Setter to go hunting with my old man..  Can anyone provide insight on their experiences on traveling with a pup to hunt or possibly offer some previous lessons learned? It's a longer flight and I plan to take a day or two before hunting some pheasants but I am concerned on how the pup will react after a long day of travel and a new location.. Is there anything I can do to ensure a seamless transition?

Offline pbg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Traveling with pup to hunt in another state
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
I wouldn't worry about hunting your dog in a new location dogs love to experience new places, I would be more concerned about the stress of the long flight and being in a travel kennel for 6 or more hours. if your dog is a hyper type I would talk to your vet about possibly using some kind of anxiety med for the flight.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »
direct flight?

my biggest fear is mishandling my dog at airport!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline erickson3t

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
Thank you. I will definitely talk to the vet about some sort anxiety med for the pup. I am planning on getting a direct flight so it will be about 6 hours. It's just something I want to do with the old man since we've hunted pheasant for years with no dog and next to no luck lol so I want to give him the hunting experience with a good pup while the old man is still young..

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
I've travelled a few times to breed and hunt tests in SC. You will need a travel health certificate and be up to date on shots. The cert you can get at your vet for up to ten days. Any longer and you will have to get one for the ride back. I highly recommend a good tick and heartworm med just prior to leaving.
The crate is inspected by TSA, and even though the airlines have their standards, TSA trumps them. The crate MUST be bolted together. Use stainless screws. Plastic is a no-no. Get a water/food dish that clamps to the inside of the crate door. Petsmart has some. You can't put food, water or toys in the cage, according to whatever mood TSA is in that hour. One time they required the food AND water dish. I asked what food was available since i couldnt supply it. . Crickets.
Give yourself an extra hour and be aware TSA at some airports are 9-5. So if you have an extra early or late flight, ask about their hours. I almost missed a flight in NC because they weren't on duty yet.
As for airlines.... ALASKA! They are the very best. They are cheapest as well and take far better care of the dog AND you. United is 2nd in my opine because they dont tell you when the dog is placed in cargo like Alaska, and they cost more. Delta has the most experience, cost the most, and seem to have more issues with complaints. 
I personally witnessed my dog with Alaska a few times being loaded. The people handling her had no idea i was watching from the window. They used two people to move her in her crate, and were more than delicate. They tried petting her through the crate slats. She was more than happy. She (i had two different dogs for different times) did not suffer any anxiety, but my dogs and breed are an exception. Plan ahead, do homework and be prepared.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]