collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Armalite m15 LTC  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Armalite m15 LTC
« on: December 11, 2019, 05:36:00 AM »
Im looking into getting an ar for close range predator hunting, and topping it with a reflex sight.  Its purpose will be a close range fast action gun for lions, coyotes and bobcats, from point blank out to 100 yards.  I want a .223 because it would be the most fur friendly thing i could shoot bobcats with while still being legal for lions.

Looking at the armalite m15 light tactical rifle 16", i see it has a 1:7 twist which would be good for shooting the heavier bullets, which might be a good idea for the lion end of the spectrum.

Does anybody own armalite rifles?  One thing im unclear on looking at their website, it says it cones with 1 30rd steel mag.  I would be using a 10 round mag for hunting.  Will these guns take the standard plastic pmags?  Also, it comes with a flash suppressor.  No thanks.  I dont see what the thread count is on it, but im assuming i could take the flash suppressor off and screw on a brake or a suppressor, yes?

Any other suggestions on make / model of a turn key ar15 .223 i should look at?  Looking for light weight, maybe a 16" barrel, preferrably threaded for a suppressor.  Doesnt need iron sights, ill be mounting a reflex.

I know jack about ars, sorry for the newbie questions, and i appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Armalite m15 LTC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 06:06:34 AM »
All AR barrels in 223 that are threaded for anything (flash hider, brake, suppressor) are going to be 1/2"x28 threads.  You can just unscrew whatever is on there and screw on what you want.

Note:  Other caliber AR's may have different threads, but anything in 223 should be 1/2"x28.

All AR magazines that are in .223 will be interchangable with all AR's.  Again the only exception would be if you are using non-standard calibers.

Lots of good reviews on Ruger and Rock River Arms AR15's.  They may be cheaper than armalite.  There's lots of options for AR's and most of them are very good.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »
Lots of good reviews on Ruger and Rock River Arms AR15's.  They may be cheaper than armalite.  There's lots of options for AR's and most of them are very good.

:yeah:

The Armalite is selling for around $800.00 average, M&P15 Sport II is going for around $600.00,
Rugers ranging $600.00 and up etc... pretty much similar. Springfield Saint starts around $700
Rock River a little but more.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 12:11:14 PM »

:yeah:

The Armalite is selling for around $800.00 average, M&P15 Sport II is going for around $600.00,
Rugers ranging $600.00 and up etc... pretty much similar. Springfield Saint starts around $700
Rock River a little but more.

The m&p is only a little heavier, but it has the more common 9 twist.  Im really liking the idea of the 7 twist in the armalite for heavier bullets that might be a bit better for lions.  The rugers that ive looked at do have an 8 twist, but theyre just listed as 5.56, not multi cal.  If i couldnt shoot .223 through them that would limit options.  And ill be shooting factory ammo.  Also, the rugers are a good bit heavier too.

I did see sig rifles have a 7 twist, but theyre significantly heavier, piston driven. 

Im sure there are several good manufacturers out there that i havent even thought to check out.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »
FYI,

A 556 chamber will shoot any 556 or 223 ammo.

A 223 chamber "MAY" be too tight for some 556 ammo.

There is something called a 223 Wylde chamber, which is a sort of hybrid between the two that is designed to function properly with both.

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
I built a .223 Wylde AR this year and it has run both flawlessly.  Very accurate too.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 01:14:20 PM »
FYI,

A 556 chamber will shoot any 556 or 223 ammo.

A 223 chamber "MAY" be too tight for some 556 ammo.

There is something called a 223 Wylde chamber, which is a sort of hybrid between the two that is designed to function properly with both.

If guns labeled "5.56" will all shoot .223 also, then why does the distinction of ".223 wylde" or "multi cal" even exist?  Why wouldnt those guns just be labeled 5.56?

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 01:43:24 PM »
Pulled from the web:

The short answer is that they differ with regard to pressure and chamber dimensions. Pressures in the 5.56 cartridge are higher than the .223, and as a result the chamber of the 5.56 is different as well. There’s more throat length in a 5.56 barrel—about .077 inches—and the angle of the throat is different to accommodate increased pressures. It is, therefore, alright to fire a .223 cartridge in a 5.56 chamber, but going the other way can cause pressure problems. Simply put, the .223 doesn’t perform as well in 5.56 chambers as it could. If you have two cartridges that are so similar in external case dimensions why not have one chamber that makes the best of both loads?

Enter Bill Wylde. Bill had the idea to create a chamber that would serve the 5.56 and the .223 Remington equally well. The .223 Wylde has the same chamber angling as the standard 5.56 chamber, so there’s no problem with pressures, and it also has a .2240 freebore diameter. The result? You have a chamber that is sufficient to handle the hotter 5.56 load without concerns about pressure and you get the gilt-edge accuracy that’s common in many quality .223 rifles.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
Anybody feel like chiming in with personal experiences / reviews of various reflex sights?  This is all new territory for me.  Anonymous internet reviews that may or may not be bought and paid for are one thing, personal critiques from unpaid customers are a whole nother thing.  What have you bought, and what did you think?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
I have a Sig Romeo 3,  Burris Fastfire, Bushnell CQTS Elite Tactical 1X32mm,
They all are good. All have newer versions with better features. The Bushnell CQTS Elite Tactical 1X32mm, is my go to for home defense. The others are on separate uppers.

I have come to prefer variables like the MTAC 1-4x24, and my go to the Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24.  Both are very good, but the glass on the Steiner is exceptional. For the price, I have yet to find another close in glass quality as the Steiner.

Any one of these could be used for critters. It it were me, I would go with a variable, they are as fast as the smaller reflex’s it you have the option to dial it in if you wish.
Kind of like the best of both worlds for my aging eyes.
And some of the 1-6’sand 1-8’s can cost as much as you want to spend.
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 09:05:47 PM »
I have used someone else's eotech reflex sight.  I actually prefer a 3-9x50mm Simmons scope from walmart for ~$35 on an short lightweight AR.  It's simple and cheap and it works.  50mm lets in quite a bit of light and crosshairs are fat which makes them stand out against low light. 

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
Can somebody give me a link to the stupid thing i have to do to buy a semi auto now?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »
Can somebody give me a link to the stupid thing i have to do to buy a semi auto now?

Cheaper than Dirt has them for $587.84  :hello:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/armalite-m-15-def15f-ar-15-semi-auto-rifle-5.56-nato-16-barrel-30-rounds-polymer-hand-guard-a2-front-sight-flash-suppressor-collapsible-stock-black/FC-651984014264.html

I have used someone else's eotech reflex sight.  I actually prefer a 3-9x50mm Simmons scope from walmart for ~$35 on an short lightweight AR.  It's simple and cheap and it works.  50mm lets in quite a bit of light and crosshairs are fat which makes them stand out against low light. 

A good friend of mine hates reflex sights, he says all he sees is a star burst pattern covering the target, LOL.

I like them and Variables because I prefer to shoot with both eyes open in most situations where I would shoot my ARs. Everyone is different, For me they are many times faster at acquiring the target due to field of view or and eye relief being not a factor. You do not have to worry about being aligned with the a reflex or variable scope. Just put the dot on the target and shoot. Of coarse the farther the distance, and the more magnification, changes that.
Everyone of my hunting rifles have an established cheek weld. My ARs, not so much.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »

Cheaper than Dirt has them for $587.84  :hello:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/armalite-m-15-def15f-ar-15-semi-auto-rifle-5.56-nato-16-barrel-30-rounds-polymer-hand-guard-a2-front-sight-flash-suppressor-collapsible-stock-black/FC-651984014264.html

A good friend of mine hates reflex sights, he says all he sees is a star burst pattern covering the target, LOL.

I like them and Variables because I prefer to shoot with both eyes open in most situations where I would shoot my ARs. Everyone is different, For me they are many times faster at acquiring the target due to field of view or and eye relief being not a factor. You do not have to worry about being aligned with the a reflex or variable scope. Just put the dot on the target and shoot. Of coarse the farther the distance, and the more magnification, changes that.
Everyone of my hunting rifles have an established cheek weld. My ARs, not so much.

The link you posted isnt the ltc, but the only difference i can see is its 0.1lb heavier, and has a front sight that i would remive, but its about 300 dollars cheaper than the ltc.  Am i missing something here?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
Oh crap, sorry, the link I posted is their budget rifle. The LTC has quite a few upgrades compared to the budget rifle.

Here is the description for the LTC and it makes pretty clear difference.

The M-15™ Light Tactical Carbine (LTC) provides shooters with a versatile, hard-hitting modern sporting rifle in a streamlined and affordable package. With features such as Armalite’s own free-floating tactical Key-Mod handguard and low-profile gas block, the LIght Tactical Carbine carries a modern profile in a light and scalable package. Weighing in at just six pounds, the M15LTC16 is the perfect choice for anyone appreciating simplicity, value, and quality features in their AR.

Here is the LTC link
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/armalite-m-15-light-tactical-carbine-ar-15-semi-auto-rifle-.223-rem5.56-nato-16-barrel-30-rounds-aluminum-key-mod-handguard-collapsible-stock-black-finish-m15ltc16/FC-651984018026.html

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76