collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hound podcast  (Read 10374 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Hound podcast
« on: December 13, 2019, 06:45:24 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/show/26dHh9B2NyrwjGss8eYyMQ?si=dQemHbZtSF-r87u0iiFM8w&nd=1

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/song-of-the-hounds-podcast/id1479351130

Matt reached out to me a month or so ago and asked if we could talk about what's going on out here.  He covers lots of different dogs and hunting and has an interest in lions. 

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Hound podcast
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 06:54:53 AM »
 :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
Do you feel like if we had the pursuit season it would help this problem? I think wdfw would benefit from the money intake and not spending money to try to find out if this works.

When you go back to rechase these cats and say you run them off a kill. Will it return to that kill or is it now going to have to kill another deer.

I'm all about predator management but I feel if wdfw was doing their job we would have no need to have a program to harass wildlife. Places like Idaho and Montana that manage the lion populations don't have these problems on the level we are. having a hard time with this when we know what needs to be done theyve done the studies other places and the numbers prove hound hunting works to keep lions at bay. Seems to me we just keep going in circles here.

Offline CementFinisher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
 :tup:

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 06:28:46 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/show/26dHh9B2NyrwjGss8eYyMQ?si=dQemHbZtSF-r87u0iiFM8w&nd=1

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/song-of-the-hounds-podcast/id1479351130

Matt reached out to me a month or so ago and asked if we could talk about what's going on out here.  He covers lots of different dogs and hunting and has an interest in lions.

How many lions do you feel you would need to harass to make this program effective?

How much money is anticipated to be spent on this program to harass lions?

When is this program supposed to start?

How many houndsman and others will be involved?

How is it determined whether you will try to chase a cat or not?

Will you be marking them with permanent paint like was initially suggested?

Will these cats be harder to catch or kill after being harassed for a month?

What are the chances these cats will become more aggressive towards people or dogs after being harassed for a month?

Is there a plan in place to inform the public of this program?

Reason I ask this last question is the incident that happened with my friend couple weeks ago. A mountain lion walking up his driveway at the time his kids were supposed to be at bus stop. Bus driver calls him to tell him to keep his kids inside.

He calls fish and game and their response is don't feed the deer which I think is BS. No mention of this program. Seems like this cat would have fit right into your plan. Cat that hasn't done anything wrong but was spotted near homes.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Good questions. I'm not ignoring them but I will need to sit down at the computer to address them. Standby.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
tag
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
Tag
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
here you go. Sorry some of this is vague, we are just getting going and do not know what to expect

How many lions do you feel you would need to harass to make this program effective? As many as possible.  I would like to get over 30, and would love to get over 60, but that's a LOT of work

How much money is anticipated to be spent on this program to harass lions?  Not much. I'm on a tight budget and funded by the Tribe.

When is this program supposed to start? We started a few weeks ago and are working on it whenever we can

How many houndsman and others will be involved? I don't know that.  Probably a few others, but i can't afford to pay anyone.  It's likely that i will use a few other hound handlers, but this is a research project and I do not want it to look/seem/appear to be recreational.  We need professional handlers and dogs that we trust.

How is it determined whether you will try to chase a cat or not?  A cat that meets the requirements is 1) within the study area 2) not thought to have caused a depredation, and 3) sighted or located around homes/farms

Will you be marking them with permanent paint like was initially suggested? Trying that, the paint only seems to last a few weeks

Will these cats be harder to catch or kill after being harassed for a month? Maybe.  We do not know what response to expect.  no one has studied that before.

What are the chances these cats will become more aggressive towards people or dogs after being harassed for a month? same as above.  Maybe.

Is there a plan in place to inform the public of this program?  The tribe will be doing a press release and results will be available (published) afrer the project is complete.  I will be doing some updates as data is generated

He calls fish and game and their response is don't feed the deer which I think is BS. No mention of this program. Seems like this cat would have fit right into your plan. Cat that hasn't done anything wrong but was spotted near homes.   >:(We're working on that....

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
Thank you for answering my questions. Just one more! Where is the study area located? When you brought this up at the meeting in chewelah I thought it was going to be ran on state ground. With the tribe funding this, is it on tribal grounds this will be taking place?

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
So I have a question as well.

Any chance a guy can pay to tag along? Sit shotgun and look for tracks to follow, get to the treed cat, take photos and then be the paintball shooter?

I would be really interested if possible.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »
Thank you for answering my questions. Just one more! Where is the study area located? When you brought this up at the meeting in chewelah I thought it was going to be ran on state ground. With the tribe funding this, is it on tribal grounds this will be taking place?
this project is taking place on State, Federal, and private land when we can get permission.  Right now I am permitted in Spokane, Lincoln, Pend Oreille and Stevens counties

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 06:25:52 PM »
Were you guys running a lion near eloika lake today? Heard some hounds working from the job site I was on. Just curious if that was you or someone else? If it was you was this part of your study or a removal?

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 07:25:43 AM »
Were you guys running a lion near eloika lake today? Heard some hounds working from the job site I was on. Just curious if that was you or someone else? If it was you was this part of your study or a removal?
That was a lethal removal, not part of the project

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 10:02:50 AM »
Please respond early and often to the state that hounds are a tool that should be legal, I am confident that the work WAcoyotehunter  is doing will be a positive for that change.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]