collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ear tag question  (Read 3369 times)

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Ear tag question
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Anyone have any idea what a red ear tag means?  No contact info on the tag whatsoever besides the number, highly doubt it was drugged recently but maybe in the past? First time ever encountering one so just curious.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Online O. Nerka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Ear tag question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
Last year there were a few green ear tags in the Methow. I'm not sure if it was an observer efficiency study for the heli surveys or related to some of the predator prey studies being done there. You'd likely be able to reach out to your local wildlife bio and get some info.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 09:21:58 PM »
Thank you, I'll have to look up the local bio info and get a hold of him.  It was pretty ironic that the ear tag resembles my name "zane".

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »
What area of the state was this?  Wdfw typically puts a yellow do not consume tag in as well with contact info. Deer as part of research studies don’t need to be sedated as they can be net gunned or other capture methods not requiring sedation. No collar on it huh?

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Got some information today on the ear tag.  This doe was born in captivity at WSU (nutritional based reproductive study) to the doe "Natalie" but was never bottle fed with the intent of releasing her into the wild.  The fall after being born this doe was released in SE Wa and obviously did quite well and depending where she was released travel a ways into the northern parts of Gmu 381. 

Online O. Nerka

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
So you shot a hatchery deer? Thanks for explaining what was going on. I hadn't heard about that.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »
So you shot a hatchery deer? Thanks for explaining what was going on. I hadn't heard about that.

Pretty soon we will have to throw back the natives with the way things are going

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
I guess it's kind of like that, the captive deer were used to study the effects on reproduction so reproduction is necessary and the young were released into the wild.  If not for the tag, would never had known the difference.  Hopefully these types of studies can help our struggling deer herds.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »
I guess it's kind of like that, the captive deer were used to study the effects on reproduction so reproduction is necessary and the young were released into the wild.  If not for the tag, would never had known the difference.  Hopefully these types of studies can help our struggling deer herds.

We cant help our herds without a drastic change to how our predators are managed.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »
Of course that is a big problem of it too.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »
Anything we do at this point to boost the herds will just make more food for predators, which will boost the predator population...  we have to get that under control.  We got improvements to our bear management, and some lion changes should be coming, though without hounds i dont know how much of a help it can be.  What we really need now is a way to get hounds back for lions, body gripping traps back for coyotes, and we need the state to delist wolves.  Im not too sure any of that is even possible, but if it is it sure as hell wont come easy.  Its an uphill battle, the odds are severely stacked against us.  I dont see a bright future for our deer, elk or moose.  Hope everybody likes bear meat, cause thst may be the only decent chance a guy has to fill his freezer before too long.

Online O. Nerka

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »
Yeah, I agree. Just had the thought of hatchery deer and got a laugh out of it. Thanks again.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »
Yeah, I agree. Just had the thought of hatchery deer and got a laugh out of it. Thanks again.

I thought that was pretty damn funny too

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »
I agree on the predator situation, I'm glad we got the two east side bear tags, dont see coyotes as a huge problem compared to other predators. We can control them to a certain extent where as cougar is all chance or luck calling.  Not to get too side tracked but I'd rather see the allowance of artificial lights for Cougars over hounds.  Wolves need to be regulated as well, we live in a predator hunters dream. 

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
I agree on the predator situation, I'm glad we got the two east side bear tags, dont see coyotes as a huge problem compared to other predators. We can control them to a certain extent where as cougar is all chance or luck calling.  Not to get too side tracked but I'd rather see the allowance of artificial lights for Cougars over hounds.  Wolves need to be regulated as well, we live in a predator hunters dream.

Coyotes hammer fawns.  Im no college educated biologist, but its a pretty undisputed theory that you need to kill 70-80% of a coyote popilation annually to reduce the population.  There is no way were doing that with calling.  Without extensive trapping we cant manage coyote populations.  Even with it, it would be marginal.  Figure coyotes easily survived the extensive trapping and poisoning efforts that nearly wiped out wolves and lions.  But yes, i would love to see night hunting lions made legal.  We need to bring back the "predator" classification, and stop considering them big game.

I dont want to give the wrong impresdion constantly thumping the predator control / lion problem drum.  So just to be clear, i dont hate lions and absolutely dont want them extirpated.  Im really fascinated by them, and ive spent a ton of time just tracking them in the winter when the season is closed, just out of curiosity about what theyre up to, to maybe learn something about them or get a glimpse of one.  If they were wiped out completely it would be a sad day, our woods wouldnt be the same.  But the fact is we have way too many of them, and its detrimental to our herds.  If i had to name one thing i felt was the most damaging to our deer right now, id have to say its the cats.  I really think there are a lot more of them than wdfw claims or most people would believe.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:15:18 PM by Bango skank »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw