collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Country Kid's knew how to have fun  (Read 2420 times)

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
Country Kid's knew how to have fun
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:38:47 PM »
Dad told me when he was young, (growing up in the middle of the Cornfields of Minnesota), with his little brother, they would think up ways to have fun with their limited resources and try to pull a fast one without getting into too much trouble.
Opening Day, having skinned their limit of Ring Neck Pheasants they were careful to keep the skins intact.
 "So what we are going to do with these here bird's Morris, is use them for bait and catch us some City Slickers!"
So down the long dirt driveway they headed to the the main road, where alongside in the tall grass they propped up their flock of Roosters. Snickering with excitement they hid out in the drainage ditch and waited for the fun to begin.
Soon enough, barreling to a halt and jumping out of his Shiny Chevy, here comes this City Dude shoving shells into his Double Barrel.
Watching him tiptoe into range, Dad said "We dared not burst right out laughing and get caught", but after the smoke cleared, "We did learn a few new words that would make even Grandpa blush!"  :rolleyes:
Doug
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:59:51 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
Re: Country Kid's knew how to have fun
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
That would have been funny to see.
 :chuckle:

Lead em if they're running.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »
We were lazy, just put the heads on a stick to where it was just visible above the grass in the borrow ditch. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
We used a stuffed skunk when we were kids.
Drug it across the road in front of cars during snowy weather.
Amazing how many went in the ditch and how fast we could run back to the farm, in the dark, carrying a skunk.
Equally amazing is how we happened to show up moments later with a tractor to pull them out.
Made some good money a a kid.

We also used a purse tied to a string in the road.
People stop, bend down to grab it, and we would yank it.
They usually got mad.

I bet there are laws against this kind of fun now days.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
My Dad was law enforcement coming home after working a night shift, the yard was dark, and it was a dark night with only a single yard light to illuminate things. 

I got a badger earlier that day, so decided to prop it up in the yard so he'd see it when he walked in.   He sure did!

Quickly his hand goes for his gun, but he keeps it in his holster,  I was s*censored*ing like a fool clapping my hand over my mouth so no stray sounds would give me away as I peeped through the window to watch this spectacle.  I wasn't sure if he'd shoot it or not? 

Pops slowly circled that badger, hand on his gun the whole time, expecting a charge at any moment....

finally after about 3-4 circles that shrunk closer with each pass he got enough never to tap it with a toe, and it tipped over off the stick I had it propped up with

I lost it, he heard me at that point,  sure was funny to a snot nosed high school kid  :chuckle:

Offline 87Ford

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
We were lazy, just put the heads on a stick to where it was just visible above the grass in the borrow ditch.

Same.. We used to call it "rooster-on-a-stick" back in the day, lol

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 12:15:07 PM »
Too Funny Guys! Glad to hear my Dad wasn't the only Farm Kid caught causing trouble back in the day.  ;)

I heard once how Granddad himself got into trouble with Grandma while he was down working in that same ditch.

It seems Grandma would always hide his "Bottle" when she discovered his hiding spots.
So when he came in for lunch one day after burning weeds down in the ditch, according to Grandma he was "acting way too happy and as spry as all get out".) 
 She accused him of having been doing more then just "Burning Weeds down there!"
But Granddad swore up and down that he had been working and had not been drinking!
( So what kind of plants did they have growing in that ditch down along the main road?)  :chuckle:
 Doug
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:51:33 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
I was a victim of the "Pheasant head on a stick" prank when I was a teenager. My uncle set it up in a wheat field and as we departed the barnyard I spied the heads. As new hunters, my brother and I were allowed to take the easy birds. We were crushed after shooting the heads of the prey without damaging any meat and finding that there was no meat!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]