collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: study regs for my 2020 draw hunt  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: study regs for my 2020 draw hunt
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
Also factor in second and third choices, that's where the math gets tricky.  WA goes applicant to applicant, so your lower choices could matter a bunch.  Other states go through all 1st choices and then move to 2nd.....

Either way, if they drop 75% of the tags, we are fighting for scraps.  If they do that for several years in a row with no plan or any information at all, they have a term for those of us that keep buying licenses.

Offline Joseph wilcox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: unsc
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2019, 06:11:20 AM »
Ya stein I believe your correct. As I drew the colockum rife tag last year had never been there before. BUT I scouted many times in the summer and put 10 full days in prior the hunt I did learn the area very well probably just as good as some people that had been hunting for years, BUT that came along with lots of help from people from this forum pointing me in areas to learn witch made me have a successful hunt. It took 22 pt. for that drawing as well, so I know my odds are low for the bull tag going in with 23 pts but after being drawn last year my hopes are high. ill be almost 60 if I get drawn but still have the drive to go in deep that's were the fun is.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2019, 06:30:48 AM »
If you want a super tough guy hunt and better odds than most, put in for the watershed in the blues.

I disagree. I think there are a lot better units in the state than the watershed in terms of quality of elk. There may be some quality bulls there, but the difficulty factor doesn't justify it for me.
I didn't say the quality of elk is better in the shed, he would just have a better chance at drawing.  I do feel there are some real good bulls in there though, but that hunt is for real tough.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 10:03:03 AM »
 :yeah:

i have a buddy that only puts in for that hunt.  Best combination of odds and quality bulls.  Possibly one of the toughest elk in the state though, which limits the applicants. 

And to piggy back on the never setting foot in a unit you apply for, I do that all the time.  With family obligations and work, you can't set foot in everything you want to.  With online resources, maps, forums, etc you can pick a unit apart to narrow down your access points, areas you want to focus on and places you think will hold game, then scout out those areas to limit down your final spots. 

There is nothing wrong with putting in for units you've never been too.  When drawn, you just need to put in the extra effort to escout it and get out a few weekends or a few days to scout.  Places really far away, like AZ or WY, I most likely will never set foot in the unit prior to being drawn or ever scout it prior to my hunt dates....if I ever actually get drawn!

I feel once you got it e-scouted and areas located, you can knock off some and narrow down everything in 2 days to be successful.  Planning a 7 day hunt, that leaves 5 days of good hunting.  To be honest, that sort of adds to the excitement and adventure of the hunt, never seeing it before.  It adds a layer of challenge I enjoy as well.  There is also something to be said scouting something months/weeks in advance as weather & pressure can really change things.  Scouting during your hunt is always an option.  You just need to have the flexibility to add a few days to your trip.

Also don't limit yourself to a pack in trip when you haven't been there before where you can cover a few miles.  Probably best to spike camp out in a spot where you can drive to multiple different spots within 20 to 30 miles.  Then you can settle on a spot if you feel the need to pack a camp in then.  Have a backup plan, a backup backup plan, and then a backup backup backup plan, then maybe 1 or 2 more!  Don't put all your cards in 1 spot when no boots to the ground can take place, that is my advice.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]