collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hydrogen peroxide  (Read 8742 times)

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
Unless you can turn the pressure way down I wouldnt use a pressure washer. Tried it on a skull last year and busted several of the smaller bones in the nose.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
Deer:
Skin, scrape, ( I cut the back of my skulls off so it hangs better and the brains pull without scrambling, simmer submerged 1.5 hrs with 1/2 cup of Dawn added, pressure wash with 2500 psi oscillating tip. Check for any cartilage to scrape, simmer 30 minutes , pressure wash again, let dry, hang on wall. Easy peasy.

I don’t care to protect all the small bones I blast out everything in the nasal cavity. I don’t care for a bleach white skull either, looks unnatural and hoakie to me. I don’t get any yellowing and this way looks better to me , all those bone plate lines are so cool looking when still defined by darker shades of “bone”

Didn't have to worry about cutting the back of the skull out this year did you...?   :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Unless you can turn the pressure way down I wouldnt use a pressure washer. Tried it on a skull last year and busted several of the smaller bones in the nose.

Just have to use the adjustable nozzle to make the stream less powerful. I have a hot water faucet outside my house that I hook the pressure washer up to and it works like a dream. It sure beats the crap out of using dental picks and other such tools. I have probably done around 50 euro mounts and I think the pressure washer is the best tool for the job when using the boiling method.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »

I pressure wash all mine. I just make sure to avoid areas like the nasal cavity. In my opinion there is no better way to remove all the small bits and pieces, especially under the back of skull near the ear canal where all those little crevices are. I'll post mine up soon, plan on whitening this weekend.

My bullet point process on this skull:

- Skin and cut out as much meat as possible, including eyes.
- Screw driver the brain to allow water infiltration a little better.
- Heat with small amount of oxyclean in water. Not boiling, low heat, just want the water steaming, maybe "moving" a little. Do this for a couple of hours.
- Remove, pressure wash loose meat and brains out. Take care to avoid the nasal cavity and antlers
- Place back in hot water with Dawn or Joy soap, and remove to scrape or pressure wash daily until all scraps of meat are gone. This will take another day, maybe 2 if you are lazy.
- Now all the meat is gone, place in hot water with lots of Dawn. Like others have said, 1/2 cup per gallon of water or so. Lots of it.
- Keep this water hot, 90-100 degrees. I use a stock tank heater. Change water out every couple days. Takes about 2 weeks and the skull is degreased.
- Mix basic white and 40 volume peroxide gel. Paint onto skull and wrap in saran wrap. Put under heat lamp if you have it, or direct sun if its warm. Otherwise 24 hours is enough.
- Remove saran wrap, let peroxide dry and then brush off. Rinse thoroughly with hose.
- Apply light coat of Mop n Glo to protect and preserve bone. Doesn't have to be heavy and glossy, won't hardly notice it's there but does preserve the integrity of the bone long term.

- For those that don't want the glistening white skull, you should still use some household peroxide for a couple hours. It will kill off any bacteria still living on/in the skull that will cause it to stink over time. It won't do much to change the appearance, but will keep it from smelling.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
Pop the ear drums out, no reason for em to be there, less to clean around

Just pulled my 19 bt out of the 12% stuff I ordered, it will whiten a bit more as it continues to dry...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:25:15 PM by lewy »
Go hawks

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
I used an ice chest to hold elk skull in.  Could simmer at 190 degrees with tarp for insulation on top using $45 Amazon sous vide tool.   Didn’t seem to loosen meat much.  Just left it at outdoor temp for couple weeks then hit with pressure washer.   Cleaned up nice.  Rinsed in hot 190 degree bath of oxi-clean and dawn for 8 hours. Rinsed and dryed.  Looks great.   Will brush 40 hydrogen peroxide paste on shortly.

Offline cbond3318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
Deer:
Skin, scrape, ( I cut the back of my skulls off so it hangs better and the brains pull without scrambling, simmer submerged 1.5 hrs with 1/2 cup of Dawn added, pressure wash with 2500 psi oscillating tip. Check for any cartilage to scrape, simmer 30 minutes , pressure wash again, let dry, hang on wall. Easy peasy.

I don’t care to protect all the small bones I blast out everything in the nasal cavity. I don’t care for a bleach white skull either, looks unnatural and hoakie to me. I don’t get any yellowing and this way looks better to me , all those bone plate lines are so cool looking when still defined by darker shades of “bone”

Didn't have to worry about cutting the back of the skull out this year did you...?   :chuckle:

:chuckle:

3lb trigger  :dunno:

Just tend your own and live.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel