collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington bass, walleye fishing limits liberalized in response to orca crisis  (Read 11127 times)

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How about they raise the limit on Lions and Wolves and give us an OTC spring Bear hunt. If it works for Salmon and Whales the same thought process should work for predators and Big Game, no? WDFW is going downhill fast.

If only you could convince them that  harvesting more bears, raising lion quotas, and opening a season for wolves would increase salmon runs. If you could do that then we might get somewhere.
It would definitely cut down on the predation of Salmon. Every one Knows Cats and Bears love Fish. I read on the internet that Wolves love Chinook too. :)
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline 3cityhuntr

• Pilgrim
So I don’t know if you all have actually looked into the 77 lakes that they liberalized limits on warmwater species.  It’s called option B2 and really doesn’t include any of the   good walleye fishing lakes (banks, Roosevelt, potholes, scooteney, etc.).  So nothing to be concerned about at this point.  Not to say they won’t make a run at statewide again at some point.....

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-12/option_b2_wacs_all.pdf

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
So I don’t know if you all have actually looked into the 77 lakes that they liberalized limits on warmwater species.  It’s called option B2 and really doesn’t include any of the   good walleye fishing lakes (banks, Roosevelt, potholes, scooteney, etc.). So nothing to be concerned about at this point.  Not to say they won’t make a run at statewide again at some point.....

Except the Columbia River.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
So, I'm curious... and a little note.... The note, I prefer eating bass and walleye over any trout caught in a lake besides Browns and Arctic Char. I also think it is stupid for this state to poison self-reproducing spiny rays out of lakes just to plant mushy, muddy, rainbow trout.  Now, having said that, why is reducing a predator of salmon, that is not native here anyways, a bad thing?

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
my guess: it will degrade the quantity and quality of the bass/walleye fishing and not lead to any effect on salmon.  So, two fisheries managed to the toilet.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
So, I'm curious... and a little note.... The note, I prefer eating bass and walleye over any trout caught in a lake besides Browns and Arctic Char. I also think it is stupid for this state to poison self-reproducing spiny rays out of lakes just to plant mushy, muddy, rainbow trout.  Now, having said that, why is reducing a predator of salmon, that is not native here anyways, a bad thing?
my guess: it will degrade the quantity and quality of the bass/walleye fishing and not lead to any effect on salmon.  So, two fisheries managed to the toilet.

Yup and we all sit around and cook the Talapia we bought at Safeway.  :twocents:

Offline Camo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
So I don’t know if you all have actually looked into the 77 lakes that they liberalized limits on warmwater species.  It’s called option B2 and really doesn’t include any of the   good walleye fishing lakes (banks, Roosevelt, potholes, scooteney, etc.).  So nothing to be concerned about at this point.  Not to say they won’t make a run at statewide again at some point.....

Good call, admittedly I interpreted option B2 as the "new" statewide rules as part of the simplification process.
Thanks for the clarification.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt

Yup and we all sit around and cook the Talapia we bought at Safeway.  :twocents:

You dont actually eat tilapia do you???   :puke:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:24:09 PM by Bango skank »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Those rat *censored*s!...

"

"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
I'll just leave this right here ...  :chuckle:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080901205633.htm

Lets see, how would an anti hunting moron spin this...  i know.  "We have to stop recreational salmon fishing to protect the resource for the endangered coastal wolf."

Offline lokidog

• Explorer

You dont actually eat tilapia do you???   :puke:

I used to fish for "wild" Tilapia in the irrigation canals in Southern CA. They were delicious, they tasted like Bluegills.

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
Those rat *censored*s!...

"

Looks like we need to "liberalize" the limits on bears, wolves, orcas, trout, eagles, anglers, indians, commecial fishing, natural disasters as well as warm water species and anything else that's ever killed a fricking salmon for that matter?!! Rip down all dams immediately!! C'mon people this is a CRISIS!! Kill everything but salmon!!!!!! Spread COVID19 to everyone with a fishing pole or net! Salmon must inherit the planet!! Do whatever is necessary to help the little salmon survive!  :puke:
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
From now on every smolt eating TROUT I catch gets its gills cut! Some I'll eat, the rest will sink.
Probably do the same with every salmon and steelhead as well.
It will look like I'm just removing the hooks through WDFW binos though, eff these idiots.  :mgun2:

Because I was asked about this comment privately, here is my public reply:

I appreciate you sharing your stories. Yes, I am extremely frustrated, disappointed and irritated by an attack on these fish because there is literally no point to it and it's just a feel good measure.

That comment was simply intended to show a ridiculous reaction to a equally ridiculous action. As were my comments today. The absurdity of going after warm water species is equally as absurd as believing it will have any positive effect.

95% of bass anglers do not retain bass and will not retain bass regardless of this, or any initiative. The few people that do consume bass will continue to do so and the people that poach all species will continue to do so. WDFW's enforcement level in this State has always been understaffed and honestly dismal to the point of redundancy during my lifetime.

If anyone TRULY wants to save salmon then the major issues regarding commercial and tribal harvest levels need to be the primary focus! Beyond that, seals, sea lions, eagles, cormorants etc...but delisting warm water species won't result in protests and news stories about the protests, so it's the path of least resistance as well as the path of least effectiveness.

Since I already know our words fall on deaf ears when it comes to the WDFW, I opt to make equally ridiculous statements to match the absolute ridiculous policies and be on my way.

Hope that clarifies. Thx.
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline plugger

• Scout
 :yeah:well said

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal