collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear hunting for predator management  (Read 1974 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Bear hunting for predator management
« on: December 26, 2019, 02:47:38 PM »
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, getting excited for bear hunting season to coming August again. I'm all about the idea of spending some time focusing on predators in an effort to help deer and Elk populations. The area that I've had the best luck finding and killing bears has been in high alpine areas though, and want to get opinions from people on whether those bears really have a impact on deer or elk population. The bear I killed last year was stuffed with blueberries and my guess is he spent most, or all of his time in the Alpine or close to it. Does this bear effect deer or elk much? From a predator management standpoint,  does it do much good to kill this bear?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Bear hunting for predator management
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
Tagging along for the ride

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 02:55:45 PM »
fawns/calves are pretty mobile during berry season, that's not when bears are killing them,  by then most of their damage has been done and its the big cats turn. 

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
Figure even with heavy management in surrounding sreas where it may be more needed, those areas bear populations would be getting replenished from unchecked  bear populations nearby.  So if nobody is killing bears in those alpine areas, theyre just cub factories, and the surplus population will end up going elsewhere and filling in a void.  Bear management matters everywhere.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
fawns/calves are pretty mobile during berry season, that's not when bears are killing them,  by then most of their damage has been done and its the big cats turn.

Yeah I assumed this. Was really thinking about where this bear is in June/July. My guess is not far from where I found him in August, probably just lower down the mountain. I guess they're all opportunists, just curipusnif it's worth spending more time hunting them in areas with higher year around deer densities.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
Figure even with heavy management in surrounding sreas where it may be more needed, those areas bear populations would be getting replenished from unchecked  bear populations nearby.  So if nobody is killing bears in those alpine areas, theyre just cub factories, and the surplus population will end up going elsewhere and filling in a void.  Bear management matters everywhere.

That's a good viewpoint. The reservoir effect. I hadn't really considered that angle much.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
Think of it this way

If you go out in the woods and blow a train horn are the bears going to come running?

How about if you go to Kodiak island and starting shooting a gun, will the bears come running?

If you blow on a fawn bleat will the bears come?

It's nothing more than Pavlovian conditioning, where an animal learns a certain sound means food and will salavate at nothing but hearing the sound itself....like a big slobbering bear upon hearing a gun shot, or fawn bleat. 

In other words, if they know what a bleating fawn or calf call is and come a running...they're not helping the herd of deer or elk population  :chuckle:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
That's a good point too and probably the easiest way to focus on those specific animals. I'm not doing a lot of calling in these spots though, just because I know where to find them. So no real way to know if these bears eat lots of fawns or not

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
That's a good point too and probably the easiest way to focus on those specific animals. I'm not doing a lot of calling in these spots though, just because I know where to find them. So no real way to know if these bears eat lots of fawns or not

Find out.  Locate one, get within 200 yards, then start making a couple fawn bleats.  Watch what happens.  You never know, you might think its so fun that way that youll start going out with an unscoped rifle, get em up close.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
I have never been much of a bear hunter, actually never killed one but have seen a decent amount while out in the field deer and elk hunting. I plan to apply for my first spring bear permit, which I won't draw but at least apply. I also hope to try to kill my first bear this fall which if it does happen, will be pretty much dumb luck since almost all the bears I have seen I just stumbled across.

What would be an interesting idea would be if some of the more seasoned bear hunters on here would want to team up with guys like myself who don't exactly know what to look for as far as "good bear area" given time of year, conditions etc.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 03:55:12 PM »
I have never been much of a bear hunter, actually never killed one but have seen a decent amount while out in the field deer and elk hunting. I plan to apply for my first spring bear permit, which I won't draw but at least apply. I also hope to try to kill my first bear this fall which if it does happen, will be pretty much dumb luck since almost all the bears I have seen I just stumbled across.

What would be an interesting idea would be if some of the more seasoned bear hunters on here would want to team up with guys like myself who don't exactly know what to look for as far as "good bear area" given time of year, conditions etc.

Dont be so sure you wont draw.  Lot of folks draw with 1 point.  Im just never one of them.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »

Dont be so sure you wont draw.  Lot of folks draw with 1 point.  Im just never one of them.

I am going off the luck I have in all the other draws  :o :chuckle:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 04:55:25 PM »
Yah I’ve also wondered about their impact in the high country. Either way they sure are fun to hunt and watch in high country berry fields. They also taste pretty darn good after gorging on berries for a month!

Offline BreezyBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »
My thinking on this is that if you are seeing less deer where you deer hunt, and plenty of bear sign there, then you owe it to yourself to try taking at least one of your two bears in that area. 

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
Bear will be were the most plentiful food is. In the spring it’s the grass or wherever the fawns are being dropped. I have killed one bear with fawn hooves in its stomach in August. Buts there mostly wherever the berries or orchards are come season. They can travel a long ways over the summer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]