collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho next year?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline KevrosWanderin

• I cant get enough!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA, WA Bow Hunters, Puget Sound Anglers
Idaho next year?
« on: December 27, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
Idaho next year? Or East side Washington?

So I am going to post this here and in the where to go thread. Of course I’m new to Washington. With what experience I have here I know it’s hard to find elk on the west side. I have not been out wandering on the east side yet. More and more posts and threads I read people are suggesting Going out of state. I too am considering Idaho, it close. Doing this alone would be tough though. As I am not a experience back country guy. I guess I need to research the harvest numbers as to where I want to spend my money and time this coming sept. So this question, does one spend this coming year planning prepping and scouting to hunt the East side. Or spend the time scouting a spot in Idaho when possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While inexperienced, a open mind, a will to learn, and the drive to achieve what you dream about. You can do anything. Persistence is key. Some dream of wealth or material things. I dream of experiences and wild places

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Idaho next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
The words "doing it alone" and "not a back country guy" would eliminate anything Idaho from Boise to Canada in my opinion.  There is some rough country that can hurt you, even in the summer and 75 degrees

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
The words "doing it alone" and "not a back country guy" would eliminate anything Idaho from Boise to Canada in my opinion.  There is some rough country that can hurt you, even in the summer and 75 degrees

:yeah:   100% 

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
Its rough sure but there are a LOT of elk close to roads during season.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »
Well
I hunted Idaho and Washington last year. I went back to a high country hunt in Idaho that we used to do. Used to get some whopper bucks out of there every year. One year they shot a bear in the am a 5x7 Mulie one day and a 4x4 the next morning hiked out.
This year same place I saw 3 deer in 4 days. Lots of wolf sign. I do want to go back cause there has to be big bucks in there just need to figure out what and where they go when wolves are around. I saw more deer in Washington this last year than I did in Idaho.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
There is some steep, steep elk country in Idaho. Not a backcountry hunter and by yourself sounds like a horrible time if you did get an elk. If you try unit 39 though no need to worry, a few of the other 10,000 hunters in that unit might help you out  :chuckle:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »

I agree in certain areas of the panhandle there is lots of elk by the road but its not that way in the majority of Idaho. 

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
Well
I hunted Idaho and Washington last year. I went back to a high country hunt in Idaho that we used to do. Used to get some whopper bucks out of there every year. One year they shot a bear in the am a 5x7 Mulie one day and a 4x4 the next morning hiked out.
This year same place I saw 3 deer in 4 days. Lots of wolf sign. I do want to go back cause there has to be big bucks in there just need to figure out what and where they go when wolves are around. I saw more deer in Washington this last year than I did in Idaho.
My son and I got lucky with nice deer but this year in Idaho most people had similar experience of very few deer seen especially mature bucks. This is was a common thread of what I was told from guys that live here and usually are very successful. Like I said we tagged out quick so I don't really know but sounded like something was way off   

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
My last 2 Idaho bulls and bucks were shot between 3 and 4.5 miles from the road. Idaho is awesome but it will chew you up and spit you out. Both of the bulls I shot were on solo hunts and they were in some seriously nasty stuff. If you are not prepared for this DO NOT go. Attempting a hunt you are not prepared for is a recipe for disaster.

That said, you have to start somewhere. Do your homework and train your mind and body for everything you think you might encounter. Backcountry hunting is no small feat and it pays to be prepared. I wold also highly recommend you get a device like a Garmin In-Reach or a SPOT.   
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »

Complete nonsense!  I read it online you have to be at a minimum 2 miles from any road.  :chuckle: For the panhandle there are lots of elk next to the road but it is still tough country and you will be going straight up or down in some thick stuff to get to them.  Unless you are lucky enough to have a bull bedded in a road.  :chuckle:

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Just my opinion based on my own experience but going in cold, without good Intel from people that have recently hunted the area you chose, should be viewed as a multi-year investment of time. Whether it is eastern Washington or Idaho it takes boots on the ground time to learn an area, find the animals and then understand how they react once hunting season starts. Unless you are extremely lucky and stumble upon a honey hole your first day of likely will take several seasons of prospecting until you can consistently find and kill elk in any given area and the closer you are to the road, and the crowds, the harder it is.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
Also in my area there was a camp who had cow tags. There were no elk close to the road. The wolves had them pushed up high and deep. I saw 5 cows and they were up at 7500-8000 feet. I was 5 miles from a road

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
Just my opinion based on my own experience but going in cold, without good Intel from people that have recently hunted the area you chose, should be viewed as a multi-year investment of time. Whether it is eastern Washington or Idaho it takes boots on the ground time to learn an area, find the animals and then understand how they react once hunting season starts. Unless you are extremely lucky and stumble upon a honey hole your first day of likely will take several seasons of prospecting until you can consistently find and kill elk in any given area and the closer you are to the road, and the crowds, the harder it is.

Very very solid advice right there! This was our 14th yr hunting Idaho. Had folks camp one night at the trail head and hunt hard all next day and leave.  Two different groups from the Mid West to Michigan.  They drive hard all nite to get there. See no elk and get discouraged and leave. Which is fine by us. We don't go into the woods to be close to other people than in our own group.

Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »

This is the truth with any new area You venture into. It's also the reason I have a hard time tearing myself away from the many areas I have hunted for years. But this is the year I will be spending most of my time in the NE corner. I'm going to hunt Deer, Turkey, and bear with a full understanding that I am just starting to learn the land and hope for an opportunity. Put My time in and each year it should get better as I have more knowledge of the area. I've
always wanted to do it so this will be the year.   
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline walleye1

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
There's no better way to learn the country than having a tag in your  pocket. Just know your limits for packing one out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]