collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho next year?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho next year?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
With all the responses for “don’t go to Idaho” everyone must be worried about tags selling out even earlier.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 04:00:07 PM »
With all the responses for “don’t go to Idaho” everyone must be worried about tags selling out even earlier.
If the OP was comfortable going alone and playing around in the back country, the answers would be different.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »
Doesn't matter what you do, go to Idaho or go to eastern Washington. what the hell, go to Western Washington. There is great elk hunting to be had in each of these areas. the only thing that really matters is how much you scout and how prepared you are for the hunt.  You have good elk hunting within 1 hour of where you live, but if you feel it necessary to drive 6 or more hours go for it.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
I will say that went out of state for the fourth time last season. New area again with the hope of less hunters and more animals.

New areas are tough with only 10 days to hunt.

I saw more hunters than elk. I saw more bull moose than bull elk.

When I returned to Washington to hunt an area for the day that I have hunted for 20 years I saw more elk and bull elk in the first three hours than I did on the entire 10 days out of state and my wife got a 30 yard shot at a cow elk. No elk were harmed but we had fun and didn’t have to pack out an elk.

Bottom line IMO, out of state hunting was a blast to see new country and experience a different hunt. Given multiple trips back to the same area I’m confident I would see more elk and eventually harvest an animal. For now to see more animals and have a higher chance of success I still feel that in state is the way to go.  I do see that possibly changing and that is why I’ve been looking at other options.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline KevrosWanderin

• I cant get enough!
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA, WA Bow Hunters, Puget Sound Anglers
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
Lots of solid advise, I am honing in on the Collville National Forest. I completely agree experience on the ground is what I’m focusing on. Just trying to pick a region. I run a in reach every time I go out. Not that I am wanting to go alone but finding hunting partners is worse than courting a wife. 😂 I will be e scouting the state like crazy, This next month trying to dial in on my first scouting trip. Gear and exercise are also in the works. Thanks for your two cents😉 it is great! The tag opportunities is what mainly has me looking out of state. I need to read over Idaho’s more though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While inexperienced, a open mind, a will to learn, and the drive to achieve what you dream about. You can do anything. Persistence is key. Some dream of wealth or material things. I dream of experiences and wild places

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
Tag opportunities is a huge benifit of out of state hunting that I didn’t address in my post.

Even though we saw less elk at least We had the option to shoot a big bull OTC.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 11:42:50 PM »
Anywhere you hunt requires finding animals to be successful. You don't know where the elk are unless you put boots on the ground. As mentioned in this thread, a lot of areas-mostly south of highway 12, will eat a solo hunter alive. I've done a couple 60 mile round trip adventures into the Wildernesses on foot and couldn't imagine packing an elk out without air assistance or stock animals present.

Generally north of highway 12, there are miles upon miles of logging roads a hunter can hunt off of via truck or atv/utv and have a good time. Tons of old growth to clearcuts to regen to commercial thinning that makes things fun :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:48:53 PM by Naches Sportsman »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter