collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality Deer (modern) - Entiat or Desert?  (Read 7696 times)

Offline tbrady

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Quality Deer (modern) - Entiat or Desert?
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm up to 15 points now for quality buck and hoping that 2020 might be the year finally.  I have hunted Entiat almost exclusively and have had some luck but things have definitely been trending down in the last several years.  Before the last couple of years Entiat would be choice #1 but I'm starting to think about putting down Desert as #1.

I've never set foot in that unit though whereas I know Entiat really well from one end to the other...  I've looked at the unit in Google earth and it looks to be about 2/3rds private land.  Is private land access necessary for having a good chance at a booner?

Any input greatly appreciated.

thanks
tim

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Quality Deer (modern) - Entiat or Desert?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
Go with what you know!  Desert hasn't been all that great lately either.
Zonk Volmer

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
Not familiar with the desert unit
Entiat unit is just as bad I am sure. You will get a deer but quality buck?
You will have fun though

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
Two completely different hunts.  What do you want to get out of the hunt?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 12:18:04 PM »
I'd say apply for the early Desert hunt, just because it's an easier draw. 1 in 85 odds for Desert versus 1 in 300 for Entiat. You're unlikely to ever draw Entiat with those odds. 15 points doesn't even make much difference. Put Entiat number one and Desert number two.

Offline tbrady

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »

That's a really good question that I should give some serious thought to.  The simple answer is I want to get a deer with a 30"+ rack.  I don't consider myself a "trophy" hunter but I have passed on several muleys over the years because they were small.  The last time I took one was around 10 years ago and it had a 25" spread.  I don't need to shoot anything to have fun, I just love being out there.  I grew up in VA/NC where it was not uncommon to take 15+ deer a year because we were so overrun with them and farmers had hundreds of tags to use.  Plus, once that thing is on the ground the fun is OVER.  :)  So I guess Bone, I want an opportunity at a once in a lifetime buck.  Even if I choose to not pull the trigger on anything I will have fun just being out there.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »

That's a really good question that I should give some serious thought to.  The simple answer is I want to get a deer with a 30"+ rack.  I don't consider myself a "trophy" hunter but I have passed on several muleys over the years because they were small.  The last time I took one was around 10 years ago and it had a 25" spread.  I don't need to shoot anything to have fun, I just love being out there.  I grew up in VA/NC where it was not uncommon to take 15+ deer a year because we were so overrun with them and farmers had hundreds of tags to use.  Plus, once that thing is on the ground the fun is OVER.  :)  So I guess Bone, I want an opportunity at a once in a lifetime buck.  Even if I choose to not pull the trigger on anything I will have fun just being out there.

A 30+ inch mule deer is quite the lofty goal, no matter what tag you have in your pocket. As others have said, I would go with the unit I know better and then hope that the weather lines up and you have luck on your side. Bucks that size aren't easy to find but they are around
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »

I would look for that opportunity out of state and then keep applying for Entiat as your #1 and desert as a#2. It could easily be 20 years before you draw either tag
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »
Here are some points.....

If you want a camping experience, wall tent etc Entiat would be your choice over the desert.   The Desert is close enough to my home I've never thought of camping out there, but not sure what your choices are besides a state park. 

Entiat you are hunting migratory deer, whereas the desert you are hunting local desert dwelling swamp rats.

Private property isnt much of a problem for either unit really, though the desert has a bunch, but there is still alot of land out there.   There is the option for Ag hunting out there.

How well do you get around.  Desert is flat, but reality is the sand and dunes and putting in due diligence hiking out there.....where as Entiat could be a roadhunt if you wanted it too. 

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
As you pointed out, much of Desert is Private. 

Many on here think the unit has not been producing like it has in the past.  I think you can say that about any Mulie hunt in Eastern Wa.  I used to bird hunt the Desert area (I Have never had the tag) but I have seen some dandy's. 

That black sand and looks fairly flat from the truck will give you a heck of a work out.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »

I hate to bring up a non PC term these days, but an old timer once told me....  :chuckle:

-a secret to success in hunting is to learn an area extremely well, hunting it at least three years and that would make your success ten fold. 

Anecdotally I can be on either side of the fence on that one.    It is something I think about.   I might attribute my success contrary to that because of my understanding of deer and how they might react in the geography they are in, but following his success over the years, he has certainly evidenced his claim.

my biggest argument to that is  that its fun to hunt in different bioms.   It might not get you that 30 incher, but you might get more enjoyment out of the hunt, which is why I asked the question.   If you are after hunting migratory mule deer with majestic vistas.....  or you want to play tag with one in a Russian olive patch with the roar of I-90 in the background and guys shooting ducks.     

Offline tbrady

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »
Sounds like I should take a road trip out there...  I enjoy hunting new places but the thought of I90 traffic and duck hunters doesn't sound so great.  I get around pretty good, a typical day archery hunting for elk is usually involves about 8-12 miles of hiking and a few thousand feet up and down.  The terrain definitely impacts my enjoyment.  I much prefer the openness and mountains of eastern WA over the more dense tree farms of western WA. 

The only time hunting gets "not fun" for me is if the fog comes in and I can only see about 50 yards, then I start to go nuts. :)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
Just things to think about.  Not trying to discourage or encourage one way or the other.  The odds of drawing either are very sad, even with ten more points.   Some of the best parts is dreaming. 

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
I have 13 points and can’t get an archery permit to save my life. So good luck

Offline jjhunter

• Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »

I hate to bring up a non PC term these days, but an old timer once told me....  :chuckle:

-a secret to success in hunting is to learn an area extremely well, hunting it at least three years and that would make your success ten fold. 

Anecdotally I can be on either side of the fence on that one.    It is something I think about.   I might attribute my success contrary to that because of my understanding of deer and how they might react in the geography they are in, but following his success over the years, he has certainly evidenced his claim.

my biggest argument to that is  that its fun to hunt in different bioms.   It might not get you that 30 incher, but you might get more enjoyment out of the hunt, which is why I asked the question.   If you are after hunting migratory mule deer with majestic vistas.....  or you want to play tag with one in a Russian olive patch with the roar of I-90 in the background and guys shooting ducks.   

An intersting thing that I find is that while I may struggle at first in a new area, I typically have my best hunts (find biggest deer) the first time that I hunt a new area.  What I attribute this to is that:

1)  I am excited to hunt new terrain (hunting hard/ultra focused)

2)  I glass and hunt everything because I am not making assumptions based upon past experience  (this s a good area/this is a bad area - spending too much time looking where I have seen a big deer before, etc).

3)  I cover way more country (I am not locked in on my "good spots")

Anyway, this is just something I've come to realize over the past 10 years hunting across the West.
 Kind of interesting...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10