collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lost some good friends over the weekend.  (Read 5908 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Lost some good friends over the weekend.
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:58:20 PM »
These things have been everywhere with me. Deer hunts, elk hunts, mountain goat hunts, to the top of Mt. Adams twice, hiking all over the Cascades and Blues, deer hunting in Idaho, you name it. Pretty much every animal I’ve killed in Washington and lots that others have killed, these guys have been along with me.  I can’t say the same for most of my other pieces of hunting gear. I was thinking about having them rebuilt before the blowout over the weekend but now I’m not sure if that’s even possible. I love these boots. I mean seriously ... they’ve been amazing. And I bought them in the bargain cave at Cabela’s probably 10 years ago for like $68 or something like that. Not sure what I’m going to do now.

Sayonara old friends.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Lost some good friends over the weekend.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »
https://meindlusa.com/

Make new memories!
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
Finding a good pair of boots is like an OIL draw.   :'(

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:04:25 AM »
These things have been everywhere with me. Deer hunts, elk hunts, mountain goat hunts, to the top of Mt. Adams twice, hiking all over the Cascades and Blues, deer hunting in Idaho, you name it. Pretty much every animal I’ve killed in Washington and lots that others have killed, these guys have been along with me.  I can’t say the same for most of my other pieces of hunting gear. I was thinking about having them rebuilt before the blowout over the weekend but now I’m not sure if that’s even possible. I love these boots. I mean seriously ... they’ve been amazing. And I bought them in the bargain cave at Cabela’s probably 10 years ago for like $68 or something like that. Not sure what I’m going to do now.

Sayonara old friends.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:33:19 AM »
Its about time to retire those stinky old things
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 06:49:30 AM »
What kind of boots are they?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 06:58:24 AM »
It always makes me feel a little silly how bummed out I get retiring boots. Just had to put down a set of my own recently. Sorry for your loss.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 07:01:57 AM »
Those look like Danner built but Cabelas branded.  I have a pair of Cableas branded Danner's I got 10 years of hard use out of. 

Hiking in the Clearwater's to fish my kid was behind me and yells "dad you lost something"  He was holding a Vibram sole.  That was a crappy hike out, but I will say those were the best boots at any price point I have owed.

Offline DeerThug

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 07:07:44 AM »
Get some Shoe Goo.  You can easily repair that with no problem and get a few more years out of them.  You can get it at walmart of fredies - pretty much any place with a shoe dept..

I have a pair that are the same.  Fit my feet so well and have had multiple blow outs.  Just pull the seam back together, a big ole coat of Shoe Goo. let dry overnight and good to go...
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
Yeah, Danner's right? I have a pair also from the same period. Mine ended up blowing out on that vertical seem on the inside. It's a poor design for there to be a seem there because that's where your foot flexes. Other than that they were excellent boots, always warm enough for me and always water proof. They had a squeek to them for a time but it eventually wore away. I'm gonna try to repair them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 07:42:26 AM »
They're Meindl Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas. Got to be 10 years old.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »
I loved those boots.  I probably still have some in my closet.  I had back to back pairs I couldn't get the squeek out, no matter how I greased em up.   I mostly used snowseal.   I finally switched to Kenetreks. 

What size are you

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »
Danner must have tried copying them because they look similar. I even found mine in the bargain cave around the same time! :dunno: Sucks when you can't find a good boot anymore because they want to keep "improving" them with new ultralight materials that don't last. Not sure anything will ever be better than good ole leather!

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
I am nursing the same pair I bought at that sale!!’ I wish I would of bought about 10 pairs because like you they have been the best boots I have ever had.  I did find another boot that I think is about equal but not the same height which is taking some getting use to.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
My original pair of meindl Alaskans and then the replacement pair were amazing. Then they lightened them and they kinda sucked after that. You are definitely due for a pair of boots with actual tread on them  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
I am nursing the same pair I bought at that sale!!’ I wish I would of bought about 10 pairs because like you they have been the best boots I have ever had.  I did find another boot that I think is about equal but not the same height which is taking some getting use to.
:chuckle:
I actually went looking through your early forum posts to see if I could figure out when we bought them.  I remember you saying something about that sale and I jumped on it as they had some size 13's.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »
My original pair of meindl Alaskans and then the replacement pair were amazing. Then they lightened them and they kinda sucked after that. You are definitely due for a pair of boots with actual tread on them  :chuckle:

I was thinking about having them re-soled. Now I wonder if I could just get an overhaul. Fix the heel blowout, re-sole, etc. I should probably just get a new pair of boots...I'm assuming it's not the cost effective way to go rebuilding them.

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
I also have an identical, 15 -20 year old pair of Cabelas perfekt that have been everywhere from deserts of New Mexico to 13,000 ft up in Co to local swamps. Great boots. . This year when preparing for elk in OR I was on a training hike when the sole just fell off. Going through the same disappointment you are now experiencing, I took the deceased boots to a shoe repair shop in tacoma. The crusty ‘ol shoe repairman said he has seen that a lot of times when the original pressure bond attaching the sole to the boot fails.

He had to special order new soles but now they are good for more miles than are left in me. The only issue was the new sole adhesive had a real strong smell that took a long time to go away. Get ‘em fixed!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
I also have an identical, 15 -20 year old pair of Cabelas perfekt that have been everywhere from deserts of New Mexico to 13,000 ft up in Co to local swamps. Great boots. . This year when preparing for elk in OR I was on a training hike when the sole just fell off. Going through the same disappointment you are now experiencing, I took the deceased boots to a shoe repair shop in tacoma. The crusty ‘ol shoe repairman said he has seen that a lot of times when the original pressure bond attaching the sole to the boot fails.

He had to special order new soles but now they are good for more miles than are left in me. The only issue was the new sole adhesive had a real strong smell that took a long time to go away. Get ‘em fixed!

Mind sharing what that ran to get done?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
You guys are making me nervous. My meindls are 12-15 years old and just now getting broken in..

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »
Alright, how in the world are you guys getting so much life out of boots? I get two seasons max on all my boots before they have been reduced to street slicks  :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
Alright, how in the world are you guys getting so much life out of boots? I get two seasons max on all my boots before they have been reduced to street slicks  :dunno:

I hunt like a ninja..

Honestly I don't know..they are just solid boots..God knows I beat the heck out them... although they don't see the woods till October..I use my Solomon's for early season..so they probably only get 200-300 miles a year give or take a 100.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 11:42:20 AM »
I put like a mile or 2 a year on mine.
 :dunno:

Seriously, it's likely you're just putting 4 times as many miles on as I am. Maybe 8 times as many. They have been amazing boots. I don't hunt as much as a lot of guys do but I always wear these hiking too. It's probably fair to say I don't hike as much as I used to either, but 3+ years ago I was doing a lot of hiking and a lot more hunting than now.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
I think part of it might be terrain.  My boots and shoes that go into the high country get shaved and worn down quickly on the soles and maybe gouges on the leather.  The boots that are in the swampy, grassy alders and in the timber hold up in appearance but tend to leak from all the immersion.  When I get in the timber, there's so much rotted wood and moss it's like being on carpet.
Then there's the odd pair that just last for a while.  I had one pair from Cabela's that lasted about five years--hiked half the trails in the nearby national park, lots of high hunts, elk, winter predator hunts...they kept going.  Other than that pair I only get one good season out of boots, a few kind of make it into the second.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
Make some fancy book ends.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
Seattle: Dave Page Cobbler “The World’s Finest Mountain Boot Repair”

"The Best" IMHO - Near Fremont I believe … Mountaineers ship them boots from around the country ...
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
Seattle: Dave Page Cobbler “The World’s Finest Mountain Boot Repair”

"The Best" IMHO - Near Fremont I believe … Mountaineers ship them boots from around the country ...
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

Great guy.  Zamberlan referred me over to him.   After putting a cut in my Zamberlan's after a decade of abuse and causing a leak, I called this guy.  Rather than have me potentially waste my money taking him the boots with no assurances it would be a "fix", he just told me over the phone how to fix them.   His idea worked.  Very thankful to him, and he'll get my boot repair business in the future.     

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »

I got about 2 years each out of mine.   I didnt blame the boots.   I was pretty hard on them. 

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 12:35:53 PM »
I also had to retire a reliable pair of boots this week. Couldnt fix this blowout with an easy awl :chuckle:

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »

Karl I have a boot problem!!.  I have many pairs that I wear so they last longer.  Always have a pair or two ready to go if something goes wrong with my go to boots. 

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
:chuckle:
I actually went looking through your early forum posts to see if I could figure out when we bought them.  I remember you saying something about that sale and I jumped on it as they had some size 13's.

I think it was either late 2008 or late 2009 when they were on clearance.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
Have 'em bronzed or just retire them and hang 'em from your truck rear view mirror. :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2019, 11:44:48 PM »
Have 'em bronzed or just retire them and hang 'em from your truck rear view mirror. :chuckle:

I thought about hanging them from my mirror, but I wouldn’t be able to see much.  They’re pretty tall and I’m a size 13. Probably take up 1/3 of my windshield.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »
I have been thru at least 5 pairs of Meindls in last 8 years all have been junk

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2020, 02:14:51 AM »

+1

I recently sent in a 15+ year old set of Danners because they have been “that good”!

They were like new when I received them!

Good luck finding another set that serves you as well! :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2020, 03:50:08 AM »
i mostly hunt on the westside, ground's pretty soft.  i retired my 9 year old pair of danner hawks this season because they started leaking pretty bad last year, the bob soles(that many here say wear down too fast, lugs break off etc) are still like new.  however, the uppers are shredded from blackberry vines and underbrush.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2020, 06:15:19 AM »
The varying terrain makes a lot of sense. Most everything I am hunting is pretty rocky stuff so it makes sense that the tread go more quickly. I tried some light hikers for the first time last year on my NV hunt. Not a great idea  :chuckle: soloman quest 4d's or whatever they are called. 6 days and they were smoked. That crap down there was no joke. Glad I don't hunt in stuff like that all the time because a guy would go broke buying boots :chuckle:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »
That’s a long run. My buddy just bought new boots this year after 8 years. I get a new set every year but use the last years set as well. I retire them after two years so every year I have one new pair and one one year old pair.

I use them a lot, I would say on average two weekends a month every month. Some months not at all and other months every weekend and some months two weeks straight.

Irish setter elk trackers are what fit me and work best.

Optics and boots are the two most important things you can spend money on in my opinion.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
The varying terrain makes a lot of sense. Most everything I am hunting is pretty rocky stuff so it makes sense that the tread go more quickly. I tried some light hikers for the first time last year on my NV hunt. Not a great idea  :chuckle: soloman quest 4d's or whatever they are called. 6 days and they were smoked. That crap down there was no joke. Glad I don't hunt in stuff like that all the time because a guy would go broke buying boots :chuckle:

I picked up the same boots last year and I've been pleased as punch with them. I wasn't hunting rocky Nevada hell, but I covered a lot of nasty ground with them this year.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2020, 01:55:35 PM »

I picked up the same boots last year and I've been pleased as punch with them. I wasn't hunting rocky Nevada hell, but I covered a lot of nasty ground with them this year.
i really liked them as well and picked up another pair after that hunt last year. I'm just more aware of where I take them now  :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »

I thought about hanging them from my mirror, but I wouldn’t be able to see much.  They’re pretty tall and I’m a size 13. Probably take up 1/3 of my windshield.

don't ever hit the brakes  :chuckle:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »
I've used old boot leather for a skull cap thing on horn before.If they where like whites boots that have real think leather ,knife sheath ,or or cut some leather in to strips and make a weaved little key chain thing . :dunno:
Just look up thing you can make with leather. :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2020, 06:46:43 AM »

+1

I recently sent in a 15+ year old set of Danners because they have been “that good”!

They were like new when I received them!

Good luck finding another set that serves you as well! :tup:

Where did you send them?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal