collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: anyone build their own rod  (Read 2991 times)

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
anyone build their own rod
« on: December 31, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »
been looking at you tube about building my own rod, sounds kinda fun, my dad built me a fly rod years ago, iloved that rod even more cause he built it.  anyone build their own, or advise for or against it?

Offline Emptyhanded

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: anyone build their own rod
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »
Tagging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:51:40 AM »
I built several from sage blanks years ago.   Years, oh my.     Fun project.  Good time of year for it.   

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »
I've built two, a 4 weight and a 6 weight.  I borrowed the wrapping machine.  Its fun getting one the way YOU want it, blanks are fairly cheap but once done your not saving any money.  To me (as some one who reloads a lot) it much like reloading in the sense you are not saving any money but there is a special satisfaction knowing you built it.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
I've built two, a 4 weight and a 6 weight.  I borrowed the wrapping machine.  Its fun getting one the way YOU want it, blanks are fairly cheap but once done your not saving any money.  To me (as some one who reloads a lot) it much like reloading in the sense you are not saving any money but there is a special satisfaction knowing you built it.
:yeah:
I've built a ton of rods of all types over the years.
Some I built because there was literally no commercially made rods for what I wanted (like building long fly rods into jig rods before they were available). I wouldn't say that is the case much these days. Also, the price point for finished rods and components for building the same seem closer than it used to, so it's hard to save much $ many times.

Still worthwhile if you have the time. Hurts to break one you spent a lot of hours on though. ;)
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 10:32:30 AM »
Same with fly tying really.   :yeah:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »
Used to be a good shop there in Spokane that did classes or group builds.....  can’t think of the guys name.  I doubt it’s there any longer.  It was out on Sprague but still close to downtown.

Propps......  might have been it or another.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
I have built quite a few. I have 11 in my garage that I am currently working on.

This is a 9'6" ranshadow RX7 with alps components.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 10:46:18 AM by Wetwoodshunter »

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »
that is awesome, the guy in spoakne that my dad took classes from died i think. he had a little shop on trent and fancher, i think thats who it was.  any particular website or company you buy blanks from and thread, eyelets, epoxy?

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
that is awesome, the guy in spoakne that my dad took classes from died i think. he had a little shop on trent and fancher, i think thats who it was.  any particular website or company you buy blanks from and thread, eyelets, epoxy?

I buy everything I use from Batsonenterprises, you can google them by searching them, or Rainshadow rods. The warehouse is located in Sequim, Wa. They have everything to get you started.

Mudhole.com has awesome videos for rod building. You can also buy components there, but I never have.

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
the mudhole.com site videos is actually what perked my intrest in it. they have some excellent videos

Offline walt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 10:59:17 AM »

Steve Moran.  Good guy, he repaired a few rods for me.  He passed away earlier this year.  Silver Bow does occasional rod building classes, I think Alan at Swede's does too.  I have 2 blanks I need to build one of these days as well. 

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 11:16:56 AM »

I buy everything I use from Batsonenterprises, you can google them by searching them, or Rainshadow rods. The warehouse is located in Sequim, Wa. They have everything to get you started.

Mudhole.com has awesome videos for rod building. You can also buy components there, but I never have.

This place is a couple miles from our new property. I've been wanting to stop in when I'm there on a weekday.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »

That was Steve Moran...did not know he died that's too bad.  I used to run into him up high on the Joe in the middle of the week a couple of times a year.  He would build custom rods as well as teach classes

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »

This place is a couple miles from our new property. I've been wanting to stop in when I'm there on a weekday.

You 100% have to. They have the largest collection of custom rods in the world there. It would take at least a day to look at them all.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal