collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Capturing Mule deer does by Helo  (Read 7119 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Capturing Mule deer does by Helo
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »
Trying to put topic back on positive note.
Maybe it will do some good.well see I guess.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 08:51:19 PM »

I couldn't help but notice they are blaming habitat loss and human development for affecting the herd but nothing being said about the booming population of predators affecting the herd. All I can say is unbeleivable.....well maybe its not. At least they are paying a little attention to the deer herd so that is a good thing and we should be thankful. It would be nice to see some of these deer herds be treated as a priority like they once were.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:05:27 PM by bigmacc »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 05:27:34 AM »
IMO Habitat loss is the least of their worries!! They need to concentrate on the real problem predators. After several e-mail exchanges with Fitkin this is exactly what is coming out of his mouth. If they believe that habitat loss is the problem they don't want to face the true facts. But hey keep pushing those Buck and doe special permits!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 05:38:56 AM »
IMO Habitat loss is the least of their worries!! They need to concentrate on the real problem predators. After several e-mail exchanges with Fitkin this is exactly what is coming out of his mouth. If they believe that habitat loss is the problem they don't want to face the true facts. But hey keep pushing those Buck and doe special permits!!
Exactly the way I feel. :yeah:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 06:17:21 AM »
I think this is probably the best time to do it.
:yeah:
Also, animals usually more concentrated, easier to find...equals less effort/expense to get target animals, so overall less harassment.

I'd add to that, that besides being more spread out in the summer, they are also in tougher terrain for successful captures ie steep and forested. Getting at them down in low open country makes it easier and safer for all concerned.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »

:yeah:....Like I said earlier, they are so involved with predators they will try to put the focus on the herd declines on everything BUT predators. I mentioned in another post concerning another topic (speaking of trapping and collaring) of all the signs we were seeing in the north part of the Methow this last year, warning folks to keep their dogs on leash in certain areas because traps were in place that attract canines. I agree that habitat loss is down the list, like a lot of us have said, the deer (in the Methow at least) seem to be hovering around closer and closer to houses and civilization to escape predation.

Back to the topic, I remember being told that the best time to "round up deer" is winter because they are more concentrated and easier to choose good healthy individuals to collar. That big collared buck we killed in the 80,s was a good example of that. In the letter that was sent to us about the history of the buck was a part telling of why he was chosen. Apparently they had been observing thousands of deer in the area over many days before deciding on him. They picked him because he looked young(he was a 3 and a half year old 4 point at the time of his capture), he was big bodied and very healthy. Other deer were collared over a couple weeks also during the operation but I don't remember how many. We had guessed for years going back to the 1930,s approximately that the deer we were shooting in this particular area were likely coming out of Canada and not the Pasayten because one year an uncle had been hunting way back in up by 30 mile, close enough to the border he could have thrown a rock across it, my dad said. He watched a herd of a hundred or so work its way down a ridge through small thickets moving to the south. There were many bucks in the bunch including a huge non typical, they were on the move at about 200 yards out and he couldn't get a shot off, the deer eventually went through a huge saddle and disappeared. He went back to camp and sat down with grandma and grandpa, he told them of the huge buck that was in this herd, where he saw the herd and the direction they were headed the last time he seen them. They put together a plan and 2 days later he killed the exact buck, traveling with the same hundred or so deer approximately 10 miles to the north of the town of Winthrop. My grandpa knew of a convergence/staging area and figured they would eventually end up there,
 herds would meet up and hang around for a few days before continuing south and he figured thats where they were heading, he guessed right, my uncle sat against a tree in a big draw that was about 3 miles from this "convergence" area, he sat from sun up till sun down for 2 days, shooting it about 2 hours from dark on the second day. I posted a picture of this buck years ago with my uncle standing next to it on the pole, my uncle was 6.5 and weighed about 270lbs, the buck made him look like a little kid. The collared buck we killed back in the 80,s was killed about 100 yards from where my uncle killed that big nontypical 50 years before, also traveling to his winter range.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:13:41 AM by bigmacc »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 02:21:11 PM »
Warm season captures can greatly stress the animals, and their core temperatures can rise to dangerous levels.  Capture myopathy, which is an often lethal response complex, is more likely during warmer temperatures.  I don't think there is ever a perfect time to capture wild critters, but early winter isn't the worst!
agree
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »
Muckelshoot bios have been winter collaring mule deer with helos in Joe Watt Canyon for years for a mortality study.  I usually talk to them every year since they’re by my house. The bio from there told me cougars are the reason the deer herd can’t bounce back between here and Yakima.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014108737357
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 11:05:12 AM »

:yeah:

Moreover, what meaningful data and subsequent conclusions will be derived from capturing 16 does in Kittitas, 16 does in Okanogan and 16 does in Chelan counties? Just curious. This, from a position of ignorance standpoint.

Offline Shannon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
I’m all for the study as long as they actually listen to the science when they are done and don’t skew it one way or the other. The winter has been extremely mild so far and deer were in great shape going into winter so they should be fine. I’d like to see the results of the study-especially where they are migrating from.
NWalpine guide- I think the study is 50 does from each location but I could be wrong. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
I'm all for doing studies, we need studies to learn, unfortunately I don't trust hardly anything done by WDFW, it seems so much of what they do they scew to match their predator loving narrative.

Think wedge cougar study done by Weilgus!  :twocents:

(At the time I thought it was great they were learning about cougar, but in reality that study was scewed and used by Wielgus to have negative impacts on cougar hunting opportunists in WA! Even after Wielgus has been discredited for his improper acts, WDFW still uses his work to avoid lethal cougar management.)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »
I’m hoping to get more information on this study.

I was contacted a little over a month ago about the study. I own 1,500 acres of mule deer winter ground in Kittitas next to a few sections of DNR. They asked if they could come on my land if needed. I said yes but wanted a phone call when they would be doing the work. Just wanted a heads up so when my phone started blowing up with reports of helicopters landing on my place I would be ready.

The reason I have so much land is I am buying up as much as I can so it doesn’t get developed. I think habitat loss is a huge issue. Most of the land around is undeveloped but over hunted by the owners. One guy buys 20 acres and brings his 3 buddies to hunt. When 100 acres is owned by 5 people and that means 20 guys are hunting 100 acres the deer don’t stand a chance. That habitat in my mind is lost.

I’m buying up as much as I can afford and only taking a maximum of 3 deer and two elk off of it.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014108737357
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
I’m all for the study as long as they actually listen to the science when they are done and don’t skew it one way or the other. The winter has been extremely mild so far and deer were in great shape going into winter so they should be fine. I’d like to see the results of the study-especially where they are migrating from.
NWalpine guide- I think the study is 50 does from each location but I could be wrong.

Yes, evidently it is 50 does from each area. Thanks for the clarification. That should be a statistically meaningful number of animals to derive some conclusions from. I wonder what the goals and objectives of the study are besides the one stated below.

"The Department will use contracted professional crews to capture approximately 50 adult female mule deer in each area. Humane methods and experienced crews are used to make the captures as safe as possible for both deer and humans. The deer will be fitted with GPS/satellite collars to track them to evaluate movement and migration patterns and learn more about habitat use of the populations."

Offline ElaphusElatus

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
What WDFW needs to do is put their study plan clearly on the WDFW or predator-prey project web site, including a link to the study plan in the news release. They seem to do these projects without complete transparency, leading to speculation and mistrust. A copy of the study plan being available for public review would answer a lot of questions, and public feedback might lead to a better and more informative study. Scientists and wildlife managers are not always right and should be open to accepting comments and revising the study based on high quality constructive feedback. Yes, there are progress reports, but rarely is public input solicited before a study starts.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 11:04:59 AM »
At least they are paying a little attention to the deer herd

The cynic that I am asks why?

We have all been deceived with the departments “slight of hand” before! The simple fact that this study is titled “Washington Preditor-Prey Project” leads me to believe the intent is actually focused on sustaining wolves, and a their major food source, but WDFW know another “wolf study” would receive additional blowback from the hunting community. :dunno:

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]