collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Middle fork elk hunt 2020  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Marcusoliver70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Middle fork elk hunt 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 11:29:39 PM »
Is McCall Zone sold out?
No. It's not a capped zone, so only after the total nr quota is gone would it be unavailable.

It sold out 12/15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's incorrect.  It is not a capped zone - it has not sold out. You must be thinking of a different unit or zone.  :dunno:

I stand corrected...I was thinking salmon., and it is spike only...that is why I didn’t want to hunt it.

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
You must have different regs.....

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
What weapon are trying to hunt with? Your dates of 9/15-9/30 would align with the Mcall Zone A tag Archery Only - Any Elk..... :dunno:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »
I stand corrected...I was thinking salmon., and it is spike only...that is why I didn’t want to hunt it.
Based on this I’m calling troll. And if you wanna get offended because you’re not a troll...I’ll make up for it right here bud. Someone who’s this confused on the regs and zones and seasons has no business whatsoever jumping into the middle fork having already admitted that you’re 100% unfamiliar with it.

PS: ...or you could find yourself surrounded by giant bugling bulls 200yds into the wilderness...but the odds of that ain’t good.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »
What weapon are trying to hunt with? Your dates of 9/15-9/30 would align with the Mcall Zone A tag Archery Only - Any Elk..... :dunno:

off the top of my head the middle fork for those dates is a rifle hunt

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 07:46:19 AM »

That is correct. The OP sounded like maybe Middle Fork is more than he wanted but thought the other units were sold out? I guess if he was set on a rifle September bull hunt, he has the right tag.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 08:37:03 AM »
Spike only in ID?

Offline Marcusoliver70

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

That is correct. The OP sounded like maybe Middle Fork is more than he wanted but thought the other units were sold out? I guess if he was set on a rifle September bull hunt, he has the right tag.
Yes we decided on the middle fork because it is a rifle hunt in the rut.  I miss spoke when I called the McCall sold out, when I went back and looked at the availability of tags again and didn’t see McCall I looked back in the refs and saw that during sept, it is spike only for archery.  I can stay here in EWA and do that lol.  Unfortunately for me this is the first time hunting out of state so yes the way the refs are in the book it was kind of confusing to me, I spoke to a ifg guy and he explained it as you know we don have specific elk areas for the general hunt.  Mostly what we didn’t realize was that middle fork was in the wilderness and while internet surfing finding access to it was looking impossible.  Whoever called me a troll, I’m not offended lol just looking for a little help.  Everyone that is coming with (4) wanted to rifle hunt, and I didn’t want to give up EWA deer season, I’ve archery hunted elk exclusively since 1990.  They aren’t huge fans lol.  Anyway, I do appreciate the insight that you’ve put out so far and any more would be great.

Offline Marcusoliver70

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »

Yes, the other guys going with aren’t huge fans of the bow, so this was the compromise.  Originally we were going to pick the salmon bc I could hunt for a bull using archery and they were going to camp out and try to get a cow with a rifle near the crop fields.  That was sold out.

Offline Marcusoliver70

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 11:48:11 AM »
Based on this I’m calling troll. And if you wanna get offended because you’re not a troll...I’ll make up for it right here bud. Someone who’s this confused on the regs and zones and seasons has no business whatsoever jumping into the middle fork having already admitted that you’re 100% unfamiliar with it.

PS: ...or you could find yourself surrounded by giant bugling bulls 200yds into the wilderness...but the odds of that ain’t good.

Well, the first time you look at the regs it is confusing simply because they are so different than Washington.  I mean if they were a little similar than ya sure I get what you’re saying, but they’re absolutely not.

As for the wilderness, it’s just that.  No different than the wilderness here.  Topography is different but that being said, you learn it by getting out in it!...that’s how I grew up, you know before gadgetry and stuff....map and a compass and your eyes was all you had.

Just looking for some access help, like I said we didn’t realize that.   Looking at the google maps it looks like coming in from the south is easiest?

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Go full blown Lewis and Clark.
Jump in a raft.
Paddle fast.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »
There's access points that are pretty well known and/or you can find em yourself. There are DIY fly in options available but those range from..."hunted hard for 10 days and saw nothing" to "shot two bulls 200 yds from the airstrip" more the former than the latter.
In my opinion, the middle fork deer/elk hunts are more about the experience and the wilderness than the ease of the hunt or size or abundance of the critters. Also there are plenty of Idaho zones that will give you the same or better quality without being so rugged but if you're committed then get after it and enjoy the experience.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 03:15:04 PM »
Go full blown Lewis and Clark.
Jump in a raft.
Paddle fast.

winner go big or go home that's how to access it! Or woos out and fly in  :chuckle:

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »
Probably could just fly in a DIY ultra light aircraft.
Especially if you wore your high school football helmet.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
Probably could just fly in a DIY ultra light aircraft.
Especially if you wore your high school football helmet.
Funny how aviation helmets and football helmets from back in your day look so similar. How much padding was in those leather helmets anyway?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal