collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Middle fork elk hunt 2020  (Read 8070 times)

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Middle fork elk hunt 2020
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 04:32:07 PM »
I wore un-padded leather due to the size of my skull.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »
I wore un-padded leather due to the size of my skull.

Makes sense. How many fingers am I holding up. ✌️

Offline Marcusoliver70

• Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 06:39:05 PM »
There's access points that are pretty well known and/or you can find em yourself. There are DIY fly in options available but those range from..."hunted hard for 10 days and saw nothing" to "shot two bulls 200 yds from the airstrip" more the former than the latter.
In my opinion, the middle fork deer/elk hunts are more about the experience and the wilderness than the ease of the hunt or size or abundance of the critters. Also there are plenty of Idaho zones that will give you the same or better quality without being so rugged but if you're committed then get after it and enjoy the experience.

I asked about access because when I was doing the E-scouting it’s just hard to tell.  I’ve never hunted Idaho so basically threw a dart lol.  I didn’t think it would’ve been appropriate to do a shotgun blast on here saying...”hey, where’s a good spot to hunt elk at” lol.  Like you said about the elk, it everything I’ve read all over...hiker for days didn’t see crap and buddy shot one near the strip.  Biggest reason we wanted September is praying on finding them with locator calls and grinding it out.  Maybe we won’t even see an elk???  Either way it will be a great time.  Speaking of well known access areas, is there a thread in this or different site?  I haven’t been able to find any solid intel.  I have not called IDFG yet either, that is in the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
Have you used the Idaho hunt planner. Pick the unit, go to layers and activate the roads/ trails options. It's all right there to see....

One thing I will tell you is that just about every road into the church crosse's a pass that's at least 6-8k feet. September snow is not uncommon. It's also not uncommon for guys to leave trucks and camps all winter because of these early snows....

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
Go full blown Lewis and Clark.
Jump in a raft.
Paddle fast.

You don't have to paddle fast unless you want to go to shore.... that damn river is fast enough..   :)

Offline Marcusoliver70

• Pilgrim
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:43 AM »
Have you used the Idaho hunt planner. Pick the unit, go to layers and activate the roads/ trails options. It's all right there to see....

One thing I will tell you is that just about every road into the church crosse's a pass that's at least 6-8k feet. September snow is not uncommon. It's also not uncommon for guys to leave trucks and camps all winter because of these early snows....

I have not been using it correctly lol.  I will give that a shot, thank you for the info on the snow.  I’ve been wondering about that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2020, 10:32:09 PM »
be very aware of the forecast. Just a couple years ago a bunch of guys got trapped in there including a buddy 22" of snow in September. A bull dozer was brought in to get all the horse trailer guys out.  I would have a shovel and good chains in that country as the roads can be terrible.

Offline big wood

• Longhunter
  • hit em on the high note
  • Groups: wsta,nra,mba
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »
Middle fork has lots of elk. Hunted it for 3 years. 23 miles in and worse trails i ever rode on

Offline Ace

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Hunted the middle fork 2 years ago with a outfitter. 7 days. Seen a few deer. Never seen a elk. On gourde back back in the wilderness every day. Seen and heard lots of wolfs. I would be a great place to go wolf hunting. I believe you can get 5 tags. I would not return there for any other hunt except to hunt wolfs

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal