collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter 2020 Blackmouth  (Read 6525 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Winter 2020 Blackmouth
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »
Cmon,
Speak up.. who's braved the cold and gotten out on the water?  I've been out of town but hoping to go get some lines wet and dial in the new boat soon  :tup:

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
Re: Winter 2020 Blackmouth
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
Been out twice to Appletree/Kingston around the morning tide change.  Lots of shakers, released a few wilds, and lost a really nice one near the boat, didn't know if it was wild or not, but was definitely keeper size.  Went out yesterday, not much bait or fish marking on but it was a pretty weak tide change.  Jan 2 when we went out it was fish all over the place and nice balls of bait.  Got 12 hook ups then, 4 yesterday.

Was seeing most fish suspended in the 60 to 70 ft range and getting strikes there.  Not marking many working the bottom like you normally hear about.

There has not been anyone on the dry docks in Edmonds that the workers have known to bring in a Chinook yet.  Sounds like it's been slow going. 

Will probably run down to Jeff Head next time out, little more area to work off of to find bait.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »
Has anyone been out? The resurrection derby numbers are 329 anglers with 62 hatchery chinook. When does this fishery usually get hot?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:27 PM »
Has anyone been out? The resurrection derby numbers are 329 anglers with 62 hatchery chinook. When does this fishery usually get hot?

That derby had some amazing fish caught!

From what I've gathered on the catch rate, that is blackmouth fishing.  There isn't really a hot time.  It's a matter of finding the bait and where that bait is.  All the fish that are there are going to be there all season.  Maybe towards the end of the season they might grow another inch or so to make em legal, but not sure.

Lots of sub-legal fish has been the report and what I've seen.  Have got 1 22" on the dot into the boat out of 3 trips in area 10 twice and 9 on sunday.  Maybe 20 sub legals and 1 hog I lost near the boat the obviously we couldn't tell if wild or not.

Weather hasn't been great, it's just a get out whenever you can that's safe and see how it goes!

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »

That derby had some amazing fish caught!

From what I've gathered on the catch rate, that is blackmouth fishing.  There isn't really a hot time.  It's a matter of finding the bait and where that bait is.  All the fish that are there are going to be there all season.  Maybe towards the end of the season they might grow another inch or so to make em legal, but not sure.

Lots of sub-legal fish has been the report and what I've seen.  Have got 1 22" on the dot into the boat out of 3 trips in area 10 twice and 9 on sunday.  Maybe 20 sub legals and 1 hog I lost near the boat the obviously we couldn't tell if wild or not.

Weather hasn't been great, it's just a get out whenever you can that's safe and see how it goes!

Thanks for the update, I’ve heard they’re running shallower than normal, are you seeing that?  I’m hoping to get out soon and give a report. I bought a pair of Scotty 2106B down riggers and I’m itching to use them.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »
You won't be disappointed with those Scotty's! Have fun!  :tup:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
In 9, I've heard deeper, out to 150, but that was point no point and pilot point. Kingston we were finding them in 90 to 120.

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 09:05:47 AM »
i think saturday's weather played a roll in that..
top 3 fish were over 15 lbs, some nice fish.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
You won't be disappointed with those Scotty's! Have fun!  :tup:

That’s good to hear! I did some research and from what I gathered that was the consensus. I also added the sure stop and weight retriever.

In 9, I've heard deeper, out to 150, but that was point no point and pilot point. Kingston we were finding them in 90 to 120.

Thanks again, I was thinking starting around Kingston. We did well there for coho this summer.

If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
Be sure to have a spare belt or two for the Scotty's.  When they start to go out, they will lower very slowly or even stop.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:55:51 AM »
Ive been running Scotty 1106s for 10 years.  The only thing I have had to replace are  the line counters every couple of years.  Things are bullet proof.  I noticed last week that I have  belt that looks like it is getting worn out.  So I will grab another to keep on the boat in case. 

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
Be sure to have a spare belt or two for the Scotty's.  When they start to go out, they will lower very slowly or even stop.

Thanks for the tip 👍🏼👍🏼

If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
Ive been running Scotty 1106s for 10 years.  The only thing I have had to replace are  the line counters every couple of years.  Things are bullet proof.  I noticed last week that I have  belt that looks like it is getting worn out.  So I will grab another to keep on the boat in case. 

This is good to hear. Hope we have the same reliability. We’ve been using my dads old penn fathom master and we’ve had at least one problem literally every time we went out this past summer.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 11:31:44 AM »
Scotty makes a quality product.  Like mentioned, I replaced a counter every once in a while and belts.  I used to rinse them really well but ended up getting water in the motor and had to replace that.  Now, I do a quick spray focusing on the boom and try not to get the head part wet and that solved the issue.

They are easy to work on, adjust and replace parts and John's in Everett has everything you need.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
The line counter is the Achilles heel.  I have two on my boat, and typically fish just one downrigger.  The other gets used a handful times a year.  Well the line counter went out again on the rigger that barely gets used.  Not a huge deal, as I have only had to replace them 4-5 times in 10 years, and only a $20 part.  Just seems like a design flaw and should be made to last longer.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »
Agreed, or it should cost $5 which is reasonable for a piece of plastic.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 12:18:40 PM »
These are all great tips, keep them coming, thanks guys!

I did go through pretty much every nut and bolt and coated the threads with a very small amount of marine grade grease in hopes of keeping the salt from penetrating the threads and seizing them up if I ever have to replace a part.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 12:21:33 PM »
I put manual counters on my HD's and drilled a hole to see it and plugged it with a round rubber grommet for backup. My magnetic counters have failed before too or battery goes out. Pop the rubber off and you're still fishing easily.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
 Been running 1116’s for 15+ years and not had any issues. I do have a couple extra belts on the boat somewhere, but the downfall is they have never needed replacing so I forgot where I stashed them. :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »
Been running 1116’s for 15+ years and not had any issues. I do have a couple extra belts on the boat somewhere, but the downfall is they have never needed replacing so I forgot where I stashed them. :chuckle:

These are all very reassuring post! So sounds like I should kept at least a belt and a counter onboard and rinse the riggers down with fresh water after ever salt use but try to kept the water out of the motor/electrics? Sounds simple enough.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 06:02:28 PM »
Yeah, once you take one apart you realize it isn't exactly rocket science.  There is a motor that spins a small pulley and the belt connects to the large pulley that has all the line on it.  Don't get water under the cover or it can leak into the motor and it will start squealing and trying to seize up due to rust.  They are replaceable but not that cheap.

Depending on how you have them stored on the boat, the cover can flap open when driving down the highway, I have a bungee over both.  It should have been fixed 20 years ago in their design, but oh well.

If the counter goes out I can almost always still use my sonar to see how deep I am, so it isn't a mission critical thing.  If the belt goes, it makes for an unpleasant day as it usually just starts to fray out and that gets caught in the small pulley and makes life not fun.

The only other thing that can cause problems is the electrical connection, make sure you keep on top of the plug and receptacle and do a first rate job wiring the receptacle using the recommended size wire or larger.

I have mine set so they auto stop with the ball still in the water a foot or two down.  I have a 6' release attached to the ball, so it will be dangling back behind the ball out of reach.  I took a chunk of dowel and screwed a hook in the end so I can reach out with that and grab my release instead of falling out of the boat.  I also have the cord that Scotty sells that lets you pull the line back in so the ball is closer to the boat and the release is easier to reach.  Don't forget to release the line before you start letting the ball back down.

I also have 3-4 spare releases, I use the Scotty ones and if you get any kind of scent or oil on them they won't hold and I just swap them out and wash when I get home.

I also have a spare snubber, ball and terminal tackle for the end of the downrigger cord.  Every once in a while a ball goes poof, down to the bottom and then you are down to 50% unless you have a spare.  If they break it will almost always be in the metal connecting the ball to the cord, check them often for wear and rust.

The brakes eventually wear out but are very cheap and a quick fix.  You will know long before they go out, I have a spare on the boat but it isn't necessary.

Use a big ball if you are out on the salt, being 90-100' down requires a bunch of weight or you will be long lining.  Lakes are OK with a small one.

Don't drive off with one ball still down or you will be buying all new line, weight, snubber, clips and brakes. :bash:

After a trip or two you get a system down and then off to the races.  I still remember all my years of hand cranks, man that wasn't fun and I am so much more productive.

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
just grab one of those scotty repair kits at outdoor emporium, keep it on the boat, learn how to adjust the brakes and youll be good to go.
they're simple, but they work!
also you can get replacement pads for the release clips, so you can swap those out...a lot cheaper than replacing clips.
i have a few plano 3700 boxes with spare parts and replacement parts. 

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
Don't be afraid to rinse the Scottie's really good. The motors are sealed and designed to get wet. I fish in crap weather and big water and often put green water over the boat. No issues with Scottie's over my 15 plus years out of using and abusing them.

As for fishing it seems to get better into March ... depends on what the bait is doing and what moves in as we get close to spring.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 07:22:33 PM »
Stein, thanks for the detailed instructions! These post are very helpful.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Dirty Mike

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 07:23:58 PM »
I'll be out this weekend !

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 08:53:16 PM »
I'll be out this weekend !

Good luck! Sunday is supposed to be decent weather but we all no how that goes.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 09:07:41 PM »
Im holding out until March.  I have to buy my yearly launch pass as well.  Lost money last year paying 13-14 bucks for each launch.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 11:04:35 PM »
Don't be afraid to rinse the Scottie's really good. The motors are sealed and designed to get wet. I fish in crap weather and big water and often put green water over the boat. No issues with Scottie's over my 15 plus years out of using and abusing them.

I drench mine after using them too. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 07:40:37 AM »

As for fishing it seems to get better into March ... depends on what the bait is doing and what moves in as we get close to spring.

The Scotty motors aren't sealed, they have holes i both the top and bottom of the case.  The motor sits vertically in a plastic enclosure and the motor shaft pokes through the top of the enclosure and the pulley is connected to that.  If water gets in there, it will eventually run down the shaft and into the motor.  There is a washer and you can add some grease, but it's about impossible to seal up where the shaft pokes through.

Maybe the newer high power ones are, but the older ones certainly aren't.  I had the problem and when I bought a new one at John's they said not to go crazy on the rinsing or I would be back there buying them frequently.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »
What is everyone attaching to their riggers? Basics flasher, spinners, hoochies, plugs? What’s everyone’s preferred leader length? We usually drop four different combos and see which one is getting the action and switch it up. For coho we were running 24” leaders. I’ve heard 36” is recommended for blackmouth?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »
I fish more hoochies than anything.  If not a hooch I run spoons.  Roughly a 32 inch leader on hoochies and 50 inch on spoons.  I love running a tomic plug as well.  Just a plug about 20 feet behind the ball.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2020, 01:43:38 PM »
Taggin this because I'm going to get out.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
Hoochies and spoons. I like a lot of white and white pearl.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »
I fish more hoochies than anything.  If not a hooch I run spoons.  Roughly a 32 inch leader on hoochies and 50 inch on spoons.  I love running a tomic plug as well.  Just a plug about 20 feet behind the ball.

Interesting, I’ll have to give it a try!

Has anyone tried Brads spinbaits or Yakima bait spinfish for Puget sound blackies? We had really good success with the spinfish for coho.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 07:57:15 PM »
came home with a keeper today.
first trip out in the new boat, so it was a fun shakedown trip...figuring out ins and outs and whats different from the old boat.
water is a mess though, im sure the visibility is having a huge impact on the fishing.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
came home with a keeper today.
first trip out in the new boat, so it was a fun shakedown trip...figuring out ins and outs and whats different from the old boat.
water is a mess though, im sure the visibility is having a huge impact on the fishing.

Congrats, what did the keeper bite on? I didn’t get out this weekend, a family friend needed help moving, the reports I’m hearing match yours, the heavy rains did a number on the water conditions.

How did you like the new boat?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »

Interesting, I’ll have to give it a try!

Has anyone tried Brads spinbaits or Yakima bait spinfish for Puget sound blackies? We had really good success with the spinfish for coho.

I've had success on Brads "glow bloody nose" and "shamrock" patterns.  Haven't fished the Yakima spinfish.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2020, 06:47:47 PM »
Finally got out to drop a line for blackmouth. Fished point no point, with no luck. Found some bait and a few schools but no luck. Tried trolling and mooching, there were about 15ish boats fishing, didn’t see any hook ups. I talked to the WDFW fish counter and he said their test boat only caught 1 fish all week. He also said he didn’t check any fish yesterday and 2 today, he said both were caught at point no point at the tide change.

Anybody else get out lately?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline pnwbestlife

• Tracker
    • facebook.com/pnwbestlife
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »
I've been out several times and other than having success in late January near Kingston, most everywhere else has been shorts. Look at the creel reports and you basically see the same story. The only reliable places would be in this order:

Area 7 San Juan Islands
Area 6 near PA or the Banks in the middle of the Strait
Area 8-2 between Camano head and Hat Island.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]