collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter 2020 Blackmouth  (Read 6526 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Winter 2020 Blackmouth
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »
Cmon,
Speak up.. who's braved the cold and gotten out on the water?  I've been out of town but hoping to go get some lines wet and dial in the new boat soon  :tup:

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
Re: Winter 2020 Blackmouth
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
Been out twice to Appletree/Kingston around the morning tide change.  Lots of shakers, released a few wilds, and lost a really nice one near the boat, didn't know if it was wild or not, but was definitely keeper size.  Went out yesterday, not much bait or fish marking on but it was a pretty weak tide change.  Jan 2 when we went out it was fish all over the place and nice balls of bait.  Got 12 hook ups then, 4 yesterday.

Was seeing most fish suspended in the 60 to 70 ft range and getting strikes there.  Not marking many working the bottom like you normally hear about.

There has not been anyone on the dry docks in Edmonds that the workers have known to bring in a Chinook yet.  Sounds like it's been slow going. 

Will probably run down to Jeff Head next time out, little more area to work off of to find bait.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »
Has anyone been out? The resurrection derby numbers are 329 anglers with 62 hatchery chinook. When does this fishery usually get hot?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:27 PM »
Has anyone been out? The resurrection derby numbers are 329 anglers with 62 hatchery chinook. When does this fishery usually get hot?

That derby had some amazing fish caught!

From what I've gathered on the catch rate, that is blackmouth fishing.  There isn't really a hot time.  It's a matter of finding the bait and where that bait is.  All the fish that are there are going to be there all season.  Maybe towards the end of the season they might grow another inch or so to make em legal, but not sure.

Lots of sub-legal fish has been the report and what I've seen.  Have got 1 22" on the dot into the boat out of 3 trips in area 10 twice and 9 on sunday.  Maybe 20 sub legals and 1 hog I lost near the boat the obviously we couldn't tell if wild or not.

Weather hasn't been great, it's just a get out whenever you can that's safe and see how it goes!

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »

That derby had some amazing fish caught!

From what I've gathered on the catch rate, that is blackmouth fishing.  There isn't really a hot time.  It's a matter of finding the bait and where that bait is.  All the fish that are there are going to be there all season.  Maybe towards the end of the season they might grow another inch or so to make em legal, but not sure.

Lots of sub-legal fish has been the report and what I've seen.  Have got 1 22" on the dot into the boat out of 3 trips in area 10 twice and 9 on sunday.  Maybe 20 sub legals and 1 hog I lost near the boat the obviously we couldn't tell if wild or not.

Weather hasn't been great, it's just a get out whenever you can that's safe and see how it goes!

Thanks for the update, I’ve heard they’re running shallower than normal, are you seeing that?  I’m hoping to get out soon and give a report. I bought a pair of Scotty 2106B down riggers and I’m itching to use them.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »
You won't be disappointed with those Scotty's! Have fun!  :tup:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
In 9, I've heard deeper, out to 150, but that was point no point and pilot point. Kingston we were finding them in 90 to 120.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 09:05:47 AM »
i think saturday's weather played a roll in that..
top 3 fish were over 15 lbs, some nice fish.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
You won't be disappointed with those Scotty's! Have fun!  :tup:

That’s good to hear! I did some research and from what I gathered that was the consensus. I also added the sure stop and weight retriever.

In 9, I've heard deeper, out to 150, but that was point no point and pilot point. Kingston we were finding them in 90 to 120.

Thanks again, I was thinking starting around Kingston. We did well there for coho this summer.

If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
Be sure to have a spare belt or two for the Scotty's.  When they start to go out, they will lower very slowly or even stop.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:55:51 AM »
Ive been running Scotty 1106s for 10 years.  The only thing I have had to replace are  the line counters every couple of years.  Things are bullet proof.  I noticed last week that I have  belt that looks like it is getting worn out.  So I will grab another to keep on the boat in case. 

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
Be sure to have a spare belt or two for the Scotty's.  When they start to go out, they will lower very slowly or even stop.

Thanks for the tip 👍🏼👍🏼

If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
Ive been running Scotty 1106s for 10 years.  The only thing I have had to replace are  the line counters every couple of years.  Things are bullet proof.  I noticed last week that I have  belt that looks like it is getting worn out.  So I will grab another to keep on the boat in case. 

This is good to hear. Hope we have the same reliability. We’ve been using my dads old penn fathom master and we’ve had at least one problem literally every time we went out this past summer.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 11:31:44 AM »
Scotty makes a quality product.  Like mentioned, I replaced a counter every once in a while and belts.  I used to rinse them really well but ended up getting water in the motor and had to replace that.  Now, I do a quick spray focusing on the boom and try not to get the head part wet and that solved the issue.

They are easy to work on, adjust and replace parts and John's in Everett has everything you need.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
The line counter is the Achilles heel.  I have two on my boat, and typically fish just one downrigger.  The other gets used a handful times a year.  Well the line counter went out again on the rigger that barely gets used.  Not a huge deal, as I have only had to replace them 4-5 times in 10 years, and only a $20 part.  Just seems like a design flaw and should be made to last longer.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal