collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer Rib Meat  (Read 13510 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Deer Rib Meat
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2020, 08:47:50 PM »
 :nono:
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:15 PM »
Some interesting ideas on this thread with good discussion. After reading through all the posts I would absolutely not be surprised if "someone" on here isn't turning the civets they catch into a sandwich spread.  :chuckle:

You have to add the stink sac to the grind pile, or it doesnt count.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2020, 06:50:23 PM »
Over the past few years I’ve been very interested in finding a good way to use rib meat. I tried Rinellas rib method from the MeatEater cookbook using a pressure cooker to cook down and tenderize the ribs followed by charing on the grill. Steve says these ribs are as good as anything you’ve had in a restaurant. Well Steve and I must have a different measure of what makes for good ribs.  So back to the grind pile we go.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
Over the past few years I’ve been very interested in finding a good way to use rib meat. I tried Rinellas rib method from the MeatEater cookbook using a pressure cooker to cook down and tenderize the ribs followed by charing on the grill. Steve says these ribs are as good as anything you’ve had in a restaurant. Well Steve and I must have a different measure of what makes for good ribs.  So back to the grind pile we go.

I absolutely love game ribs here’s how I do it. Smoke or don’t smoke for an hour, Boil in apple juice and seasonings for about 1.5-2 hours or until tender. Take them out of the liquid smother them in bbq sauce and throw them In a glass baking dish and cook them in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes to make them sticky. Delicious. Specially bear ribs.

I don’t find them cooked in a pressure cooker nearly as good.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2020, 09:58:17 AM »
I break down approximately 10 animals plus a year or more.  I never take it.  If I was starving I might consider it.

In livestock (beef), fat is your friend.  The more marbled the meat the better the flavor.  In wild game (deer, elk, and antelope etc), fat is NOT your friend.  The fat and sinew is where all of your wild gamey flavor comes from.  There is so much fat in the ribs that to separate it is not really feasible.  If you put it in with the grinder meat, all you get is a very small amount of extra meat that is contaminating the rest of it with an over abundance of fat content.  Not worth it if you ask me.  Let the coyotes, crows, and magpies have their fare share.  Nothing is wasted.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »

I absolutely love game ribs here’s how I do it. Smoke or don’t smoke for an hour, Boil in apple juice and seasonings for about 1.5-2 hours or until tender. Take them out of the liquid smother them in bbq sauce and throw them In a glass baking dish and cook them in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes to make them sticky. Delicious. Specially bear ribs.

So step one can be, "don't smoke for an hour" ?
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:21 AM »

So step one can be, "don't smoke for an hour" ?

Exactly, instead of smoking it you could set it on the counter and just stare at it for an hour. But this will result in a less productive day and no Smokey flavor  in your ribs. Totally up to the cook.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
I was "ribbing" you based on how you wrote it.

All in fun  :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »

Appreciate the tip.  Will give this approach a try.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline CastleRocker

• Longhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
I've always saved rib meat, I think it because that's how I was raised.  We've ground it, bbq'ed it, and canned it, it's all good.

I don't have any idea how she went about it for sure... but my Grandma used to can deer ribs with the bone in, using large mouth quart and a half jars.  (No idea where she got those, I think they were very, very old).  She'd pack the jars with rib meat, spices, etc., and pour cornbread, or other batter on top.  Then she'd bake it until the cornbread was done.  She'd trim off the top of it, and give that top crust to us, and then water bath can it.  She used it for stews and such, and I've always regretted not getting that recipe.  Good way to use venison ribs is all I know for sure!
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2020, 07:23:13 PM »
I'm a lazy cook. Here's my favorite way of doing ribs. Make barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, mustard, honey, liquid smoke, vinegar. I never measure so make something that tastes good to you or I guess you could buy some. Now drown it with as much again water. A little oil in a pan and the ribs on that. Now dump all that sauce in. The ribs should be swimming.
Stick it in the oven at like 280 and cook it for at least 3 hours. About half way through turn the ribs over and when you think about it baste them with the sauce.
When the sauce is cooked down they are ready to eat. You can add water if the sauce gets too thick before you are ready for supper.
You start out cooking them in the sauce. That tenderizes and lets the sauce go into the meat.

R
Bruce Vandervort

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2020, 08:07:35 PM »
I've always taken the rib meat. I never thought not to. It usually ends up in the grind. It doesn't add up to much so I don't think it's a big deal leavening it. Heck most people probably waste more meat short necking their buck when cutting the head off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline The Marquis

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2020, 02:03:12 PM »
Rib meat is good meat.  Takes hardly any time to take off the bone when you consider the whole scope of time cutting up a deer.  I wouldn't want to have one ounce less of my harvest than I deserve, which is all of it dangit!

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »
I do a splash of liquid smoke in the Insta-pot when I do the pressure cooking, to add that smokey flavor. 
Then when I do broil them, I go with the Stubbs 'smokey' sauce on them.  I really do like them a lot.
But, that's with elk ribs, not deer...if it makes much of a difference.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]