collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I cut down my barrel for a suppressor?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Should I cut down my barrel for a suppressor?
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
So I have a suppressor sitting in purgatory right now and have been doing some planning.  I only have a couple rifles with threaded barrels right now and would like to get a couple more threaded. While I am getting them threaded should I get them cut down too? I figure it will help the balance and make them less cumbersome with a suppressor at the end.  For reference I am getting a silencer co harvester.  Will also be getting a Thunder Beast ultra. Either a 7 or 9. I haven't decided yet.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Should I cut down my barrel for a suppressor?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »
So I have the silencerco harvester...  I've used it on two kimbers....a 6.5 creed and a 25 06. Both light guns, thin pipes. Ive not found the balance off when shooting.  I'd say dont change anything and if interested,  and i hsve the same thread adapter,  you can shoot mine and see how it feels.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »
I'm jealous, I offer no advise because I don't have a clue, just jealous 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
So I have the silencerco harvester...  I've used it on two kimbers....a 6.5 creed and a 25 06. Both light guns, thin pipes. Ive not found the balance off when shooting.  I'd say dont change anything and if interested,  and i hsve the same thread adapter,  you can shoot mine and see how it feels.
Perfect. Thanks. I've just been reading how some guy's cut theirs down to 16-18". I didn't know if it was a big deal or what.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »
I'd say largely dependent on the gun. Caliber, current barrel length, weight etc. Any smithing or modifications should have a purpose. Decide what the overall goal/purpose of the weapon is and then go from there :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »
You can probably ask ten different people and you'll get nearly that many different answers.

I run most everything suppressed from rimfires on up .  Like most things, there is no "one" right answer and I've had some of my rifles, threaded only, and I've had some chopped back from a little to as much as all the way down to my 22-250 which is now only 18 inches.  I will say, I've yet to have any rifle shortened that I wished I'd have left it longer.  Depending on which one, my rifle suppressors add anywhere from 4 - 10.5  inches, and for me, the convenience of the shorter overall length outweighs any velocity loss.  I will add, be aware, when you go shorter barrel length, they get a little louder, even suppressed.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
I'd say largely dependent on the gun. Caliber, current barrel length, weight etc. Any smithing or modifications should have a purpose. Decide what the overall goal/purpose of the weapon is and then go from there :twocents:
The 2 rifles I'm going to get threaded both have 24 inch barrels. One is a Remington 700 in 25-06 and the other is a Howa 1500 in .300 win mag.  I'm not worried about weight, I use a Remington 700 senduro in
.300 win mag for my elk brush gun so I'm not smart enough to worry about weight. Lol. I just don't know if it's better to cut them down or not. I just figured if I was going to get them cut I should do it while I'm getting them threaded. But it doesn't sound like it improves performance so I don't think I'll get them cut.

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 04:28:26 PM »
You can probably ask ten different people and you'll get nearly that many different answers.

I run most everything suppressed from rimfires on up .  Like most things, there is no "one" right answer and I've had some of my rifles, threaded only, and I've had some chopped back from a little to as much as all the way down to my 22-250 which is now only 18 inches.  I will say, I've yet to have any rifle shortened that I wished I'd have left it longer.  Depending on which one, my rifle suppressors add anywhere from 4 - 10.5  inches, and for me, the convenience of the shorter overall length outweighs any velocity loss.  I will add, be aware, when you go shorter barrel length, they get a little louder, even suppressed.
Good point.  Everyone has an opinion that works for them. 

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 04:51:40 PM »
Chop away you'll be fine 😉

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
:yeah:
To add. I personally wouldn't cut down the calibers OP mentioned, because of preformance loss . If I wanted a shorty id go .308 "family" or some of the short mags . :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:06:12 PM by Remnar »

Offline 762Armo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »
The 2 rifles I'm going to get threaded both have 24 inch barrels. One is a Remington 700 in 25-06 and the other is a Howa 1500 in .300 win mag.  I'm not worried about weight, I use a Remington 700 senduro in
.300 win mag for my elk brush gun so I'm not smart enough to worry about weight. Lol. I just don't know if it's better to cut them down or not. I just figured if I was going to get them cut I should do it while I'm getting them threaded. But it doesn't sound like it improves performance so I don't think I'll get them cut.

Cutting the barrel wouldn't improve performance, it would actually take away speed from the bullet. It would make it more maneuverable, and easier to carry.
It all comes down to personal preference in my opinion and how you think each set up (cut or not) will affect your style of hunting/shooting.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
yes

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
A 20" 300 WM that comes out to 28" with the supressor mounted should approximate a 26" 30-06 but only 2" longer and much quieter.   Would be fun to try it if you are already getting it threaded.  However more modest case capacities are more efficient shortening candidates.  I have a Harvester and use it on a 16" .308 and 20" .243 with good results. 

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »
One thing I think about also is if I will ever have an occasion to use same rifle unsuppressed . A 20" 300 win mag unsuppressed would be " tits on a boar" ..IMHOP...flame thrower maybe :chuckle:

Hence what Karl Blanchard said .

Far from a guru just my :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:27:11 PM by Remnar »

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 09:20:28 PM »
One thing I think about also is if I will ever have an occasion to use same rifle unsuppressed . A 20" 300 win mag unsuppressed would be  tits on a boar ..IMHOP
.  Agree. It would have to be a dedicated suppressor host. Sounds like the OP has a few rifles, including another 300 WM.

Online Pnwrider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Should I cut down my barrel for a suppressor?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 09:41:47 PM »
Depends where you hunt. 26” barrel plus a can gets old quick in the woods. If you hunt open areas you’re probably fine. I like 16-20” barrels if I’m gonna run a suppressor in the woods.

Offline supagoose

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
Depending on what barrel length you decide you're gonna want to see if it meet the required barrel length for the caliber for that suppressor. Ex 10.5/.223 rem, 16/.308 win, 20/300win. My favorite gun to hunt with is a suppressed 16.5 Ruger GSR. My 26 inch 300 win mag plus my suppressor feels like the 120mm main gun on a M1 Abrams. Once you start shooting suppressed you'll  never want to shoot a rifle unsuppressed. And its cool hearing your bullet strike your target.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:53:06 PM by supagoose »

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »
One thing I think about also is if I will ever have an occasion to use same rifle unsuppressed . A 20" 300 win mag unsuppressed would be " tits on a boar" ..IMHOP...flame thrower maybe :chuckle:

Hence what Karl Blanchard said .

Far from a guru just my :twocents:

You might be surprised. The muzzle flash is more a function of powder choice than barrel length. Some powders are just better than others in that regard. Here are a few examples that are a bit on the extreme end of the spectrum, but will give a pretty good representation.

20" VS 30" barrels on a 338 SnipeTac (150gr H50bmg powder). The shooting starts at 2:00.

338/375 Ruger in an 18" barrel (76.5gr H4350)

18" 300 RUM in an 18" barrel (101.2gr Retumbo)

I have more videos but they're all either shot in bright sunlight or in smaller chamberings (6mm BR, 260, 284)

I'll gladly take a shorter barrel over a little velocity. The extra length is the number one reason I don't mess around with suppressors.

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
Perfect. Thanks. I've just been reading how some guy's cut theirs down to 16-18". I didn't know if it was a big deal or what.

There is no right or wrong answer here. In rifles threaded for suppressor use, I've got some as short as 9", and some as long as 24". All have their place, it just depends what you want to do with it.

Obviously a shorter barrel makes the gun more handy and maneuverable, but it gives up velocity. What you may not know is that shorter barrels are louder with the suppressor attached as well. A suppressed 24" barrel is significantly quieter than the same barrel cut to 16" and suppressed (assuming same cartridge/load shooting full power rifle ammo). The noise difference is a separate consideration from the flash discussed above.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]