collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SxS potential purchase, where to begin research?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: SxS potential purchase, where to begin research?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »
If you going to plow the 500 Pioneer isn't for you. Not enough power.  The Rubicon is a ATV not a SxS like the OP asked :chuckle: a Can Am Maverick Trail 1000

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 02:23:38 PM »
I plowed with my pioneer 500 and it worked fine.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 04:19:00 PM »
If you going to plow the 500 Pioneer isn't for you. Not enough power.  The Rubicon is a ATV not a SxS like the OP asked :chuckle: a Can Am Maverick Trail 1000

I am fully aware of that....I was using it as a comparison to the Pioneer 500 and power.  They are built on almost the same chassis and drive train as the rubicon.  I'm sure they weigh a little bit more but all the internet reviews say they are equally functional and little mountain goats.  More of a crossover if you will.....not a sport machine and not a 100% utility.  Direct gear driven transmission so no belts or chains to deal with. 

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 05:49:59 PM »

I am fully aware of that....I was using it as a comparison to the Pioneer 500 and power.  They are built on almost the same chassis and drive train as the rubicon.  I'm sure they weigh a little bit more but all the internet reviews say they are equally functional and little mountain goats.  More of a crossover if you will.....not a sport machine and not a 100% utility.  Direct gear driven transmission so no belts or chains to deal with.
:tup:

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
half the price.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mini+truck+plowing+snow+you+tube&view=detail&mid=B02D6C261CBEBE06ED01B02D6C261CBEBE06ED01&FORM=VIRE

I too have owned a mini truck , hard to get parts for and the suspension is crap . But sxs these days are insanely expensive so I get why some go that route

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:20 PM »
half the price.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mini+truck+plowing+snow+you+tube&view=detail&mid=B02D6C261CBEBE06ED01B02D6C261CBEBE06ED01&FORM=VIRE

I want a trail machine than can also serve as a plow. I plow sidewalks in town for guns and hunting money, don't think that will fit on sidewalks or trails.  :chuckle:

Mini truck 4 ft 6
Most sos are 46- 50 inches

Just saying. :chuckle:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
half the price.

I want a trail machine than can also serve as a plow. I plow sidewalks in town for guns and hunting money, don't think that will fit on sidewalks or trails.  :chuckle:

Mini truck 4 ft 6
Most sos are 46- 50 inches

Just saying. :chuckle:

Enjoy that mini truck suspension big thumbs down in the comfort category , and parts are not always easy to find

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
My yamaha rhino has been a great litte rig, id highly recommend one if your looking for a narrow sxs. Too bad they changed them a few years ago to the bigger viking.

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 08:59:07 PM »
My yamaha rhino has been a great litte rig, id highly recommend one if your looking for a narrow sxs. Too bad they changed them a few years ago to the bigger viking.
Friends rhino 700 is approaching 12k miles he would say the same . My 2016 rzr 900 is at 10,500 miles and have had little issues as well

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »
Any feedback on the CFMoto brand? Looked at on yesterday and it looked pretty good. Several stock accessories that are extra on the big name brands. Roof, winch, horn. I can get one fully outfitted with a plow for a couple grand less than the RZR or Maverick.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »
CF came long ways yes.  If ya want a tough reliable utv answer is no.  If ya want a cheaper decent machine and ya want to work on it often go for it.  I personally would not pay 1/2 price for a new one.  Not on same level of quality but I wont call em junk either.  Surely not a woods n trail play competitor but poking around on roads n fields easy life it would likely do fine.  Many utube vids from owners/reviews on their deficiency. 
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »
It really sounds to me like Honda 500 with cab kit is your need?  Underpowered?  Yes but not at slow speeds plowing.  It should be fine at slow work speeds just don't expect to rip around and climb sandy hills spinning tires.  Its like a 300 quad, plenty low end trail power but no hp to rip it up.  You should find a way to go ride with people or test drive some...Teryx?? 2 seaters can be had for 10-12$K? 3 year warranty and tough as nails. 60", cab kits suck.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
CF came long ways yes.  If ya want a tough reliable utv answer is no.  If ya want a cheaper decent machine and ya want to work on it often go for it.  I personally would not pay 1/2 price for a new one.  Not on same level of quality but I wont call em junk either.  Surely not a woods n trail play competitor but poking around on roads n fields easy life it would likely do fine.  Many utube vids from owners/reviews on their deficiency.

With your comments as well as some YouTube research, Ive decided against the CFMoto, too much $ to take a chance, plus I don’t like to work on stuff.

My intent for this machine is to have a 100% trail machine. The plowing is just away to use the machine in the winter and to make a few extra $s.

I’ve narrowed my choices to the Maverick Trail and the RZR 900 trail. It will most likely come down to which ever I can get the best deal on.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
I know nada about maverick trail.  I had RZR 900 eps trail.  It was pretty good machine.  Plenty of HP.  Fast lil guy really.  Pretty good suspension.  Handles well.  4x4 worked good.   Steering was good.  Tires are total crap.  I tipped it over 3 times, 1 was lil donut in gravel, 1 was off camber trail which wasn't a problem for any other utv 60" or quads. 1 was me being dumb.  What I didn't like was NO room inside.  Tight shoulder to shoulder, little storage space.  Rear bed area is it.  Get the bed box.  Adding accessories is easy enough with access and a bus bar to hook into.  My ig key switch failed and almost caught fire melting itself at factory plug into back of key switch.  I replaced it.  Warranty is small.  It is comfy ride and good on trails so doesn't beat ya up like some do.  Length/wheelbase is perfect imop as Canam is too long imop.  I did a winch easy enough with mount kit and 3500lb Badlands.  Worked perfectly.  Pod led on a arm pillar work great for lighting side of trails. 2" wheel spacers add ton of stability and ya can remove easy enough for 50".  Wheel bearings known to wear fast.  Hope that helps...  Happy trails.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think the same arguments can be made about the Can Am. Except for the melting ignition. In reference to the length, the Can am is 11” longer. Don’t see that as a deal breaker. I won’t be making the switch until after snow season, so still lots of time for research.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal