collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 shrimping dates  (Read 2024 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
2020 shrimping dates
« on: January 13, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »
I'm assuming first week of may again...
last year they pushed it back due to tides, and this year the second weekend of may has more extreme tides.
trying to book a place in the san juans for the weekend so just curious if anyone has any insider info.
thanks  :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: 2020 shrimping dates
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
I was wondering that myself.  It would seem that a WDFW guy could sit down with tide tables and pencil in the dates for 10 years in about 10 minutes and make it easier for those that want to plan for it.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:39:59 PM »
They gotta give you every chance to buy next season's license before they throw you any curve balls.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:58:49 PM by Mfowl »
Fish hard, hunt harder!

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:57:06 PM »
I was wondering that myself.  It would seem that a WDFW guy could sit down with tide tables and pencil in the dates for 10 years in about 10 minutes and make it easier for those that want to plan for it.
one would think...
but that'd just make sense.
my thought this year is to avoid the edmonds area bonanza, hit the san juans, ling cod fish, and get 2 days of shrimping without the 4 hour time windows.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 03:00:56 PM »
Hopefully it's 4 hours, I can't see any solution that doesn't involve even shorter seasons.  Too many dudes in Puget Sound.

Offline Snowgoose1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
You would think that WDFW would care.  They could announce stuff earlier than they do.  it doesn't mean it has to be open in case big time numbers change, but if it does open then people could plan on it.  Yes, shrimp it should open on that first weekend because of the tides.  There are some people out there that have to turn in vacation well ahead of when they finally announce it.  Remember last year with King Salmon season it went from the usual July 16th to July 25th.  Terrible to those who plan and make reservations!  It really didn't matter when they open it because it is on a quota system by numbers.  For Shrimp it's figured on a quota system by the number of hours with number of probable boats.  I am lucky and can re-schedule my days off.  I am honestly sorry for all of you out there who get vacations messed with.  It is not fair to you at all.  Please make sure to send an email to the WDFW about the situations.  There are people out there that make reservations and spend money in hopes of specific dates, then sometimes those people get everything taken away from them.  I have written the WDFW about this issue many times and it seems to no avail.

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 08:09:30 AM »
You would think that WDFW would care.  They could announce stuff earlier than they do.  it doesn't mean it has to be open in case big time numbers change, but if it does open then people could plan on it.  Yes, shrimp it should open on that first weekend because of the tides.  There are some people out there that have to turn in vacation well ahead of when they finally announce it.  Remember last year with King Salmon season it went from the usual July 16th to July 25th.  Terrible to those who plan and make reservations!  It really didn't matter when they open it because it is on a quota system by numbers.  For Shrimp it's figured on a quota system by the number of hours with number of probable boats.  I am lucky and can re-schedule my days off.  I am honestly sorry for all of you out there who get vacations messed with.  It is not fair to you at all.  Please make sure to send an email to the WDFW about the situations.  There are people out there that make reservations and spend money in hopes of specific dates, then sometimes those people get everything taken away from them.  I have written the WDFW about this issue many times and it seems to no avail.
i booked a house in the san juans for the first week of august last year before they announced the closure  :bash: :bdid: :yike: :chuckle:
what are ya gonna do.
just trying to avoid a similar situation i guess.
i already bought my 2020 licenses.  people complain about it, and i get it...the opps are dwindling.
but a license for under 75 dollars that lets me harvest saltwater fish, fresh water fish, shellfish...and i get to spend time on the water in the north west summer, hard to beat.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
Wow, I just looked at the tides.  Let's hope for May 2 over May 9.

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
Wow, I just looked at the tides.  Let's hope for May 2 over May 9.
itll be that first weekend.
no way theyd push it back a weekend from normal into those kind of tides.  only reason it was the second weekend last may was due to big tides on the first weekend.
i actually asked tom nelson at the boat show and he told me that all of the info he had said first weekend

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »
I'll miss the Wednesday this year due to work, so that will cut the local season by 50%.  Hopefully I can get up to 7 and they have decent dates this year.

I wonder if they have to wait for the fishing meetings this month, although I think those are just salmon related?

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »
I'll miss the Wednesday this year due to work, so that will cut the local season by 50%.  Hopefully I can get up to 7 and they have decent dates this year.

I wonder if they have to wait for the fishing meetings this month, although I think those are just salmon related?
i thought just salmon related.
im planning to be up in 7 for the opener, actually a few days early and chase some lings and buts maybe.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it gets increasingly difficult.

I just hope there isn't a big bombshell to be dropped when they announce.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]