collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mid to high end internal frame packs, for the large sized man?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Mid to high end internal frame packs, for the large sized man?
« on: January 13, 2020, 03:53:53 PM »
Hi all,
 I am thinking I may retire my current pack this year, and upgrade myself into something newer/nicer. That may end up with me buying the same pack again, as I do like it, and there are a few new features on it that I would like. Currently I have a Horn hunter full curl frame, with the daypack, and a meat sack.

The pack works ok for me. its comfortable to wear all day, has plenty of room for day hunts, and fits better then most low end packs I have tried in the past. It is starting to show its age though, and I'm afraid that by the time summer is over, I will have worn it out. ( the goal is actually to wear it out while training)

The load lifters on the pack are not high enough to provide any help most the time. when ive got ~35-40# packed, the pack is comfortable. get that weight up to ~70 and its now all riding on my shoulders it seems.

So, I'm looking at stone glacier right now. I really like the approach 1800. seems to check all the boxes off for a daypack that can haul weight when needed, seems like a taller frame which should help with the load lifters working, and is much lighter then the horn hunter.
I am also digging the mystery ranch popups, though I haven't researched those as much.

I am 6'4", with a 42-44" waist, and a 22-23" torso measurement. most of the of the shelf packs I've tried are to short.

Does anyone have any experience with the nicer packs that is larger built that can give some advice?

budget is ~600$, and I wont be buying until later this spring or early summer.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Mid to high end internal frame packs, for the large sized man?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »
Well, I'm 6'4" and they just don't really make packs for guys our height.  I have an Exo and love it, they have a new frame out this year that is supposedly longer that you may want to check out.  I just deal with it as I have been wearing packs that don't fit right for 30 years now.

I carry the 1800 and it has been a great day pack with great hauling capabilities. 

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
Kifaru makes a 26” frame and if you found a used bag you would be in that wheel house for price. Give them a call, on occasion they do make taller frames.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:09:38 PM »
I’m 6’4, 255, 38 inch waist. Short legs, long torso. The K2 Exo has been a godsend for me. Just adjust the bag all the way up on the frame and don’t look back. Had 110+ on that thing for a pack out and the pack could have handled more easily.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »
Ive heard nothing but good about the exo products. That said I love my mystery ranch.  Tons of adjustment options. Check their website for sizing. Maybe see something you like.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:18:20 PM »
I'm 6'-05 and about 280#, I've been using a Stone Glacier and its adjusted at its max but it works... I also use an older
Mystery Ranch Kodiak that fits awesome but weighs in at 10# empty...  Not a lot of options for guys our size.

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »
I'm 6'2" with a long torso. I use the exo k3 now and it fits me great with still more adjustment to go on length. I'd check them out :twocents:

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
I’ll put in another plug for the Exo. I am 6’2” and there is plenty of adjustment left.  A lot of nice hunting geared features and well built overall.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal